Doing readings for friends of friends.

JMI_Tarot

You could be kind of cagey about it and turn their rudeness to your advantage.

I understand your reticence at charging since you aren't super confident yet, but it sounds like if people are hitting you up like this, you're probably better at it than you think.

Here's what I would do.
Thank them for their confidence in you. Then tell them you've been doing free readings for a while as training, and they have been so helpful to you up till now by letting you practice on them and now your ready to go professional.
Then hand them your card and let them know how they can book a reading with you.
If you don't have that in place, tell them you're working on setting that up and you'll send them the deets asap.

The idea here is to be a bit charming. Offer them a "special deal". They may turn into good customers. And better still, may send you referrals.

Handling them this way, they feel part of something, they are insiders of a sort. Have a go at developing your wiles, your mystique!

Don't forget, getting customers is a skill too!

JMI_Tarot

Meanwhile - what do they do for a living ? Ask them for favours.

"Hey, you're a CA - would you do my tax return for a reading ?"
"Hey, you do tats/nails/hair - how about a freebie if you want a reading from me ?"

I think this is a great idea if the person has or does something you could trade goods or services for. It wouldn't be the least bit out of line to offer them that option if the trade were reasonable. Nothing sarcastic, just a straight offer.

Ruby Jewel

Hi everyone. Lately I have been getting emails from friends of friends in regards to my tarot readings. Now I haven't been charging since I only really do it for fun however some of these people I feel are just taking advantage of the fact that I am doing this for free. Examples would be I do one reading.. don't hear back from them then the next week they will want another reading and another etc.. they don't offer to pay but it does take a lof of my free time to do their readings for nothing in exchange.

I still don't feel comfortable charging them since, again, I am still learning myself but not sure what I can do to stop these "querents" who are somehow, I feel abusing their power that I am doing this for nothing.

Here's an easy solution to this: put a tip jar on the table, and a little card that says, "thanks." And don't forget to "prime" it with a $5 bill.

CrystalSeas

I do ask for feedback which is pretty easy enough but they just take it and leave.

If you're really willing to do readings for feedback, then take some time to create a list of questions that they need to answer that will help you do a better job next time.

When they come for their next reading, tell them that you need just a few minutes to get some feedback about your previous reading. Then spend as much time as you need going through the questions and writing down the answers. Make notes on what worked, what you read correctly, what didn't seem to work out so well.

If they're really willing to help you learn, they'll be glad to discuss it with you and give you real feedback. Don't start their new reading until you've got all the answers you need.

You don't tell them 'no', but you do get the information you need to be a better reader. if they 'haven't got time' right now, tell them you'll be glad to set up a new time for their reading after you finish your feedback sheet.

If you've put the cards and your interpretation into your tarot journal, then you can add their feedback right underneath. IF you don't already keep a journal, now's a good time to start.

Maru

If you're uncomfortable taking their cash since you are new, then maybe ask them to donate to a charity of your choosing in exchange.

Carojulie

If you're really willing to do readings for feedback, then take some time to create a list of questions that they need to answer that will help you do a better job next time.

When they come for their next reading, tell them that you need just a few minutes to get some feedback about your previous reading. Then spend as much time as you need going through the questions and writing down the answers. Make notes on what worked, what you read correctly, what didn't seem to work out so well.

If they're really willing to help you learn, they'll be glad to discuss it with you and give you real feedback. Don't start their new reading until you've got all the answers you need.

You don't tell them 'no', but you do get the information you need to be a better reader. if they 'haven't got time' right now, tell them you'll be glad to set up a new time for their reading after you finish your feedback sheet.

If you've put the cards and your interpretation into your tarot journal, then you can add their fe,edback right underneath. IF you don't already keep a journal, now's a good time to start.

Preparing a list of questions for feedback is an excellent idea ! Thank you :)