The man at the nose of the Monster

Huck

That's the Tarot card LaFouldre in the Tarot de Paris, estimated towards early 16th century, from French foudre = "lightning" ... the position is usually called Tower in modern Tarot.
It has a Monster face, but it's not easy to see:

interpretation.jpg

It's difficult to see the monster face, so I attempted GIMP to become better understandable.

The whole seems to be the head of a big fish with the nose of a pig. One sees only the front. The black man sits upon the nose. The men in the middle is in the mouth. The lower man, which seems to have a sheepshead, is below the mouth. The devil is happy with its drum and possibly presents the tongue of the monster (this not identifyable red object might be intended to be the tongue).
The flames seems to come from the mouth of the Monster ... :) ...

I hope, anybody can discover something similar ... .-)

The black man at the nose might have a Fool's cap, which is hidden ... ? Possibly he attacks the monster at his right eye ? This active behaviour would build a logical contrast to the behaviour of the man with the sheepshead, who seems to be rather frightened.

Dusk Till Dawn

That's very interesting. it took me a while to see it.It looks to me a little like a Wolfe? I know I spelled that wrong...You can see the Fur and everything.

Huck

The Tarot de Paris has often funny details .. it's interesting to explore it.

see the other trumps:
http://trionfi.com/m/d0yyyy.php?decknr=2258
the pictures are probably from two different decks. One part is clearly a modern remake, very clear.

... the color painting is often not very precise, especially the "red" confuses the
view.

I'm not sure about the lower teeth, perhaps the black part could be a boat, and only the red confuses. The position of the interpreted "lower teeth" does not fit well with the upper part.

Bernice

Fascinating, a raging monster!

I put the image into a paint package, I've been slightly modifying the colouring of some areas, the upper teeth and fang. I agree with Huck that the lower fang-like teeth are oddly postioned. I think now that the pale blue area outlining the frightened sheep-head man is probably the tongue.

I've defined the 'club' that the emerging demon is brandishing.

And this is Lightening/Tower, not the Devil?

Cheers Huck :)

Bee.

P.S. I'm assuming that the two red spots on the 'nose' are nostrils?

kwaw

Indeed the face of a Monster! Hell's Mouth?

Huck

... :) ... I would guess, the nature of this deck is funny.

For instance the Papessa, one of the faces of the chair looks to the other. Also at other places are curious small figures. A monkey shows a woman a mirror. The world is made with blowing winds. A lot of amused irony.

Hell's mouth would be too much honor ... :)

I think, the red nostrils are made to make it look like a pig. A red line at the ass of the lowest person (sheephead) should give the impression, that some hot air escapes.

Bernice

: Kwaw: Indeed the face of a Monster! Hell's Mouth?

You took the words out of my mouth Kwaw I have a *deck where the Devil card has huge open mouth with a demon/devil sitting in it.

Those red 'nostrils' look wrongly positioned, don't they?

Bee :)

Edit: *The Vachetta. Tarot of the Master.

Bernice

Huck are there more images of this deck at trionfi?

Bee :)

Bernice

That blackish 'boat-shaped-thing' in the mouth, I think it's SMOKE!

B.