Knight Of Wands

Diwha

jumptothemoonyea

Thank you for your view, I totaly agree with what you say, and I did read something about another court card being the representator of the King, but I think it was the queen. Oh well, I guess these cards have their own caracter something like people, sometimes we are on the top of the world, and other times we wonder where we fit in....When I will be standing at the gates of heaven waiting to get in, I hope I don't have to answer three questions on the Thoth Tarot to get in....
Thanks also to all who responded.
Diwha

Lillie

This article goes into great detail about this whole knight/king/prince thing. I have only glanced through it so far but I have saved it and wil give it a better read off line some time. (Oh, how I wish I had a printer!)

Maybe this will throw some light upon it all

http://www.llewellynjournal.com/article.php?id=387

Or perhaps it will confuse the issue even more!

jumptothemoonyea

Hi Lillie, the article is excellent. Thank you. It explains everything. The old king is the new knight which is the father, and new king is the son and Prince in Thoth.

Interestingly, how hard the fathers of tarot interpretation tried to fit it into all divination systems existing. And the beauty of tarot is, it will take any form, if you try to put it into a form of course.

To narrow our research, below is the list of all the divinatory systems (from the article) applied to the Knight of Wands:

Exoteric meanings for the 16 court cards - Country Gentleman
16 court cards on the tree of life - Father Chockmah Twos
The court cards and their minor arcana oracular vocabulary - Dominion
Golden Dawn astrological attributes for the court cards - Sagittarius
The 36 decans ruling the 4 knights, queens, and kings - July 13 – August 12/ 20°Cancer–20°Leo
Elemental counterchanges for the court cards - Fire of Fire
Geomancy and the court cards – Acquisitio, Jupiter/Sagittarius, Gain,Acquisition
Tattva elemental chart – Tejas, Red Triangle, Fire
Elemental tattva locations and the court cards - Tejas of Tejas, Hot Climate
Four trigrams and four elements - Yang: Yin: Yin Chen Flame Fire
The I Ching as oracular language for the court cards - Chen of Chen, 51: Chen, Arousing, Inner strength deflects attacks

the 'Hot Climate' is my favorite :)

Lillie

I have to be honest, I found the link to the article on another thread.
I didn't really find it, someone else did.

But I'm glad you found it helpful. I havn't got to grips with it yet.

fulothrop

A Recon Soldier

I have read all the replies to the post and I am fascinate and at the same time bewildered to all the knowledge around.... I have a allot to catch up... one thing that puzzles me is the relation to Astrology sign and the cards...

I am goint to give my points on the Knigth. Thinking as if I have to send a knight for a specific task.

Knight of swords- GO FIGHT, engange, provoke
KNight of Wands- Go and survery, see what going on,
Knight of Coins- Try to reach a setttlement, a deal, a treaty
Knigth of Cups- Lets toast, join forces, meet and ally.

I am pretty sure this migth be some shallow interpretations... Hopefully it sheds some alternate views!

archer1

To put in my own 2 cents....Crowley use the Knights and not Kings because the knight is the king. He, the knight, weds the queen and becomes the King. Not really sure where I read that, book of Thoth perhaps...

If I am wrong about this then I stand corrected...

rachelcat

Here's my IDS on this guy!

Knight of Wands
Mostly mutable fire = Sagittarius
Fiery part of fire, Crowley = “lightning flash”

Whenever I see this card, I think of DuQuette saying the Knight and horse have been shot out of a cannon. The card has a very dramatic sense of forward motion. I also particularly like the cape made of fire that fills most of the background. The horse is looking at the viewer like he’s saying, “Yes, I let them shoot me out of a cannon, but I’m fine!” Just looking at his expression through my magnifier, I see he has a phoenix decoration on his bridle and a sun decoration on his bit. (Could someone market 8x12 inch Thoth cards, please!) Even the wings of the horse’s head crest on the Knight’s helmet is blown forward.

Snuffin says the GD standard is that curving flames are masculine and straight are feminine, so here are four large curving flames from the bottom of the card. He also points out the way the Knight’s wand is pointed out from his groin, and this is emphasized by the white rays in the background behind the cape of fire. They seem to radiate from the same place. So this is a card of masculine impetuous forward-moving energy. Got it!

Crowley’s list of attributes: “activity, generosity, fierceness, impetuosity, pride, impulsiveness, swiftness, unpredictable, cruel, and brutal.”

One thing to remember about Knights is that the are the mutable signs. They come on strong but don’t have a lot of staying power. That’s why they are pictured on horses, moving on through.

I have a little trouble relating this card to Sagittarius. I know lots of them: My husband, my son, my boss, and my closest co-worker, and other co-workers. We should just have a birthday party instead of a holiday party! Anyway, what’s missing from the card is the intellectual side of Sag., although I guess it is included in the adventurous feel. The 8 of Wands is much more Sag. in feel to me. And the 9, of course. And Art. So I guess it makes sense that this card focus more on Fire of Fire, rather than the astro connection.

I Ching hexagram 51, Thunder (Thunder over Thunder). It is about how to deal with storms and trouble—by keeping your inner sense of strength clear by knowing that everything passes and work goes on.

In a reading: You or someone involved is all action! He/she wants to do it and get it done with. Now! With no time to wait! Beware of going so fast you can’t see where you’re going. And maybe save some energy that you might need to finish the job.