Four of Disks - How do you read it?

Little Baron

Was wondering how people read this card -

Firstly, in this case, I can see that the disks are actually square, working as the tops of the four towers. This makes me think of the stable and secure Emperor that the card relates to. Because of the element of earth relating to this card, I can see these disks being set in their ways and not ready to change at this point.

I found it interesting that there are four openings to the building but it is only possible to enter and exit by one, due to the mote and gates. Is this showing the rigidity and lack of movement in the card? Any other ideas about these openings would be interesting, if anybody knows about them.

So, when it comes up, how do you read this card? It is my daily draw and I am at a little of a loss.

LB

Little Baron

From my journal notes

On this card I can see a structure; a fortress or castle of some kind can be seen from above. Around it is a strong mote to protect it and only one of the four entrances is accessible. The disks in this card are represented by the four towers; each one has an elemental sign on it - one for water, air, fire and earth - this makes me feel that this card is quite well-rounded.

The 'four' relates to The Emperor. The Emperor is stable and secure, and since this card relates to the element of earth, I would suggest that this card offers material security and promises stability in business ventures and work-related issues. I also see it as a card of the home. The four towers are like the four walls of a room; they keep you safe.

The downside of this card, for me, is a lack of movement. Even though the Emperor is sturdy, the number four is passive/feminine. This hints at being complacent at the position you are at and not wanting to move on with the masculine energy of the 'five', that should follow. It is nice to feel comfortable amongst your four walls, but it can soon become boring to no longer take risks and grow; in that sense, the security becomes a prison, which the building in this card also resembles.

Lb

spiral

The four relates to Chesed/Jupiter - to an increase of - in this case disks - material things or manifestation. It isn't as static as the picture would suggest - to me this card represents the process of steady manifestation, of jupiter's energy operating in the manifest. This is the end-result, the symptom, the evidence of the machinery that goes before.

The sun in capricorn brings out the sunny, positive side of the heaviest of the signs. Capricorn takes life very seriously and is extremely hard-working, and also is a master at bringing plans to fruition, so harnesses Jupiter's expansive energy perfectly and channels it into manifestation in a slow, steady and very stable increase.

The doorways are mentioned by DuQuette in Understanding Thoth; I had quite forgotten about them until you mentioned them here. I interpret the fact that the only path by which one can gain access to the fortress is labelled with the sigil of capricorn to mean that hard-work and commitment and dogged-determination will reap the rewards of the fortress - a seat of power. One could even say that hard-work is it's own reward since this card isn't actually talking about the work itself so much as it is talking about a simple equation - build a fortess in your soul; garrison it with your willpower and the result cannot fail to manifest.

Little Baron

Thanks so much Spiral ... excellent post ... it really has helped me out. I liked what you said about the doorways. I really am going to have to get that Duquette book at some point.

Thanks for helping me.

LB

Babylon_Jasmine

My interpretation has always been similar to Little Buddha's, and from my reading of the Book Of Thoth that is the intended meaning. One use I see it come up with often in my readings is that the querent has the power to keep things from changing if they so desire. The card represents, for me, the power to stop change, although in a less dignified position it can also represent stagnation.

Little Baron

I like that idea Babylon Jasmine - power to stop change. It is an interesting thing to talk to a querant about. A lot of the time, the cards kind of lead the way but in this instance, with your interpretation, it suggests some control, which I think this card is hinting at generally.

It is almost like someone flicking a switch and the walls slam down around change one after the other, if that is what they want. I suppose, in terms of a reading and where the card falls, it could be somebody else that is enforcing those barriers and a warning that the querant does not have the power - maybe in a reversed position. As mentioned though, there is that one exit, which when reversed is a steeper path to tread.

Thanks for that - has got me looking at it a little differently.

LB

Adjustment

I did a celtic cross in which the first card first card was the knight of swords and the crossing the 4 of deisks, would you read the 4 of disks as ill dignified? someone who has let their barrier of protection down and not longer in control of a situation.

ravenest

I am probably repeating myself ...

... but, I have no idea to tell you where to look for the post. So

I see the 4 of discs as a fomula to be able to keep oneself in harmony. The 4 towers of the castle or fort are our 4 'elemental bodies'. (see the signs on the towers) Fire= inspiration and spirit, water= feelings, empathy, sympathy, intuiton, connection to unconcious states. Air= mind thinking rationale and logic, understanding. earth = physical body.

The order is important. Most do not understand fire/spirit/ intuition. Also our feelings and emotions are often confused. So we try to run the whole show with the mind ... not good, the mind is a tool, just one of the towers, not the ruler of the castle, neither is any other element but the true ruler emerges when the 4 are in heirarchy and harmony.

Consider; spirit inspires us ... flash, eureka! We geat a great idea. it burns and consumes us like fire. Next, how do we feel about it? After that we think it through, is it reasonible, possible, lastly we put it into practice on the earth plane.

It's a big mess when the heirarch is out of wack. And makes for an interesting mediation - eg what happens if I let my emotions rule (try it or any other element that you are not already overtly acting from.)

each man is an island (and each woman), regardless of how we connect we are all psychically connected and seperasted at the same time, each of us has our own fort, castle, psychic location, auric egg , sacred space (whatever). To be totally sealed in is bad. To be toatally open is equally bad

See the moat and drawbride on the card. that is the device that is up to you to controll. You have to know when it is right for you to stay locked in and secure in your space and when to venture out. You have to be perceptive enough to know when and who for to lower the drawbridge and let people into your sacred space (to avoid being trashed) and when and who for to have the drawbridge up and secure.

So by combining both lessons the card gives (and there are of course more) we learn to stabilize and strengthen ourselves , not too dissapated and not too closed. then with all the above we can be stable, and from a stable base power can be generated.

mooiedragon

This is a tough one, and to be honest it doesn't come up for me that often in readings. These posts have been very helpful!

Some of the keywords I have in my notes on this card are "stabilitity" and "structure". To take what Ravenest has said about the importance of the four elements, I also see this as a card that indicates equality and balance in order to manifest material (or spiritual) things. I think that the "Power" of the card suggests there is potential not only for gain through hard work and determination, but also the potential to stop change. For me I see the extension of the Three of Disks: Works, which I interpret as potential and ambition. With the 4 there is now a solid foundation on which to build. Or something like that.

7Nica7nor7

4oD Angel names

I was taking a look to the Hebrew angels names related to this card as mentioned on the Equinox translates to:

MNDAL
&
KVQYH

how do you pronounce this names?
its the first one Mandal?
or maybe mandala?

The second one i have no idea at all how to say it, i reaserch it deeply on the 777 book but just confused me more, i found MNDAL written in hebrew again, no hint on pronounciation and found another name for the second one.
can any one please open a window for me?
=S