Runes

cardlady22

rachelcat said:
Hugin & Munin (CardLady, are you using these?) :)
Thanks for the reminder! These will be very cool along with the Haindl.

I'm not sure how to express the difference between the various mediums. When I use cards, it's more Personal Meditation. I'm drawn to my Gemstone set when the question is more "how-to-see/fix" things. Now, the super serious, deep stuff gets my Wood sets brought out. Of course, typing that out brings my attention to what level of personal consecration I have done with each kind.

missy

F.M. Tarot said:
The most powerful rune deck I have is this one: http://www.tarotpassages.com/rune1.htm

It's a gorgeous black and white deck with large cards and the large booklet is wonderfully detailed with lots of information. They are by Tony Linsell and Brian Partridge.

The art really is the best I have ever seen depicting the runes, I wish there were more images available online to show you. You can buy them very reasonably at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Rune-Cards-2nd-Tony-Linsell/dp/1898281343

I have not yet been drawn to runes, probably because I can only make so many journeys in divination at a time. I am still learning tarot and have recently bought my first oracle. However, I admit I have a curiousity about runes, what they do and how one uses them!

This card set you recommend particularly interests me. The "gift" one is an example. It is clear to me from the photo what that card means. If they are mostly like this card, it seems it would be easy to learn the rune's symbol and its corresponding meaning from these cards. Then it would be easier to transition into a handmade rune set, of stones or wooden discs with symbols on them to be thrown. That appeals to me!

I am not as sure that I understand the card on this page http://www.tarotpassages.com/rune1.htm that shows "oak." I don't readily see the rune in that image. Nor do I quite understand what the meaning of "oak" is. I take "oak" to mean perhaps stoic. Or strong. But I am not sure.

Is 30 the normal set in all rune decks, or does it vary? Do the runes that are stones or wooden also equal 30? Or does this vary as well? Are rune meanings from one set to the next pretty much all the same? It would seem to follow logically that they would be, if the symbols are consistent from set to set.

shadowdancer

Hi Missy

well, you may find you are a little disappointed if you expect all books or literature to give the same general interpretation, give or take. My experiences have shown there can be quite a difference. Heck they won't even have the same title for the rune in some cases.

And as for how many again that will vary. Some will have 25, some will have 30 depending on which system is being described.

It can be a minefield I guess. My favourite set is the one I made using the Anglo-Saxon system explained by Cassandra Eason in her bookRune Divination for Todays Woman. I have other sets I have made which include a set made from stones found at Loch Lomond Scotland and another set made from stones from a stream at the base of Ben Nevis

When I next go to gemstone beach in New Zealand I will create a further set.

Davina

Dancing Bear

Well, Ralph Blum has sparked a lot of controversy amongst Rune practitioners with his historically unfounded introduction of the blank Rune.

yes Ralph and his changes were very contraversial..But most writings on runes are historically unfounded.. Most is all guess work.. and deductions Just like the heiroglyph.. It is an Unspoken Language. a language of many many many dialects..

I think Ralph blum did this, because he made the runes his own.. and then he shared his experiences and the changes he has made..Some went with it.. Some didnt..
If a Deck of Tarot is traditional or not.. it matters not..
Nor do Runes..
We make them our Own.. It is our Divination tool that we personally atune to and make our own .. becasue once you study the runes and learn their basic RUnic message (this does vary) then we ad our own twist and take to them..
it is just how it is..
for me though the blank Rune fits for me.. it is a rune of Karma, it is a Rune that says nope you are not allowed to know and you have to go with the flow.. Because there is a life lesson here. just pay attention..
It is the rune of the Unknown. the karmic rune.. And i like that.

i prefer to look up the book of ballymote .
I have studied runes since yonks.. Both Ogam and Elder Futhark and other Rune systems. Most of it is just guess work and putting pieces of a puzzle together.. no matter who wrote about them.. Depends on how you tick and how you like to absorb things, You will eventually find a writer in whom writes the way you like.. and you will never look back... I am in the midst of making a bird ogam based on remnants of an original Bird Rune system i have found .

I have many many Rune sets.. Most of them are hand made including my first wooden set i engraved and shaped myself.. the only bought set is of Rose Quartz .. and i never use them .. My next set will be made (by me) of Holly Branches.. My Druidic Birth tree , This set will be made with the Bird Ogam In Mind as i carve and smooth..as i have a thing for birds too..so why not combine them all. ;)

dvorah ophir

runes

thanks dancing bear-for your support in the less importance of the historical backgraound and the more importance of the oracle as a seperate tool that is for the person using it to acses his own inner wisdom thruh this tool-i care less for the historical accuracy if there are no real evidence.etc.
sorry-today i feel not so coherent
dvorah

Dancing Bear

To be honest i had no idea there was differences LOL!! .. I have been caught out!! :bugeyed: LOL!! I am guilty of not reading the whole thread..
But you are welcome..as I see no importance of whether it is historically correct.. thats too political for me.. I do like them close but it doesnt have to be exact.. I have always done thing my own way anyway..
Some like to read how it is written.. Some dont.. I am one that dont!!
Its all good!! what ever takes your fancy.

To me they are my personal tool.. and they have my personal stamp on them regardless..

The Rune Cards I like, but do prefer to read the wood or clay engraved ones.

I remember someone many years ago had a set of witchy rune cards.. they were so nice.. and she did some brilliant readings with them.. of course all the names were different to what i was use to.. and the meanings slightly different.. but it didnt matter she interpreted those cards as if they were speaking to her of all the secrets you needed to know.. Brilliant stuff!!

dvorah ophir

to dancing bear

you seem like an interesting person
i would have liked to known that fortune teller that you mentioned
for me the whole card busines is just a hoby-and a strange one at that.
i find the pictures to be faccinating-some strong with magic-but can not read them at all no matter how meny books i read or cards i buy-i am seeking knowlege from everything- and from some reson feel that one day it will arrive
i want to be a fortune teller- to sit in front of a person and spread the cards -listen to ther song and see the tale they will show me.
for me this will be enough
no need to have power over the other person.just to show him the way-but for now am looking for my own.for me the runes i like less-because they are letters of a forhien languge-not hebrew
i am drawn more to cards-i love to see when profesionals suffle and spread them and can see stories-i wish i could too

AJ

dvorah ophir said:
i want to be a fortune teller- to sit in front of a person and spread the cards -listen to ther song and see the tale they will show me.
for me this will be enough

That is beautifully said dvorah.
The cards are a journey of many years, perhaps a life time, keep working with them, it will come. Probably not like you expect :) We all read differently, otherwise what would be the fun of it?

Emily

I've just ordered the Aquarian Rune Cards - I really like the look of them from the scans. But I'm still having to hold myself off from ordering the rose quartz rune stones from Lo Scarabeo. :)