Advertisement for deck and book - 1912

Teheuti

I found this advertisement for the RWS deck and books in "The Inferno" by August Strindberg, translated by Claud Field, published by W. Rider and Sons, 1912.

A Pack of 78 Tarot Cards. Exquisitely Drawn and
Coloured from New and Original Designs, by Pamela Coleman
Smith. Each Card has a separate allegorical meaning. This is
without question the finest and most artistic pack that has ever
been produced. Price 6s. net, in neat blue box, post free.

The Key to the Tarot. Giving the History of the Tarot
Cards, their allegorical meaning and the methods of divination for
which they are adapted. By Arthur Edward Waite. Royal 32mo,
cloth gilt, 2s. net. Essential to the interpretation of the Tarot
Cards. The Cards and Key in neat red box 8s. post free.

The Pictorial Key to the Tarot. Being an Enlarged
and Revised Edition of the Kev to the Tarot, with seventy-eight
full-page Reproductions of the Tarot Cards facing their descriptive
matter, and considerable additional matter dealing specially with
the subject of Fortune-telling by means of the Tarot. By A. E.
Waite. Crown 8vo, cloth gilt, gilt tops, 34()pp. 5s. net.

Nemia

Fascinating! Was the advertisement illustrated?

Teheuti

Rider was the publisher of both. As usual, the blank end-papers were used to advertise other books from the publisher. I haven't compared these ads with others that have been noted. I just wanted to make them available as sometimes the text varies a little.

Zephyros

How much would six shillings be in today's buying power? I tried to use a currency converter with historical values but I guess I did something wrong, it came out to £85, an exorbitant sum which would put a deck well out of the reach of the middle class.

Teheuti

How much would six shillings be in today's buying power? I tried to use a currency converter with historical values but I guess I did something wrong, it came out to £85, an exorbitant sum which would put a deck well out of the reach of the middle class.
The conversion app I used automatically put in £1 plus the 6 shillings. The results I got, when corrected, were £17.12. Considering that some families lived on £50 a year, 6 shillings was a considerable sum for many people.