Deal breakers in decks?

cybercat

What are some of your deal breakers in buying a deck?
Ex female Rider or Rider going left.

Curious to know why and do they change your readings.

Village Witch

I don't read directionality in Lenormand.

While I am a sucker for pretty pictures and quirky fun decks, I need easily recognizable images. As I am a riffler shuffler, I need good quality card stock that shuffles cleanly and smoothly.

I have a number of decks that I simply had to have and am sorry I bought. Some of my goth style decks are too dark to clearly see the pictures.

These days, I won't buy a deck, especially a newly published deck, until others use and review it.

reall

personally I'm not a fan of *female rider as meaning of this card is traditionally masculine, but some of my fav decks have a girl rider I adore!:) Gilded Reverie by C.M is perfect!:)) also like rider to face right as meaning is more oriented toward the future?:) but it's not a deal break if it's well done, like Rider in Lucky Lenormand is beautiful!:)
also like a Heart to be just that and not to ornamented
but Scythe tip need to be turned down, probably because I interpret it like something ending so it's more about the past, probably having to do with tradition I learned Lenormand right was future and left past?:) also I know some people prefer owls/other birds something like meaning night/day card?:)

cybercat

I don't read directionality in Lenormand.

While I am a sucker for pretty pictures and quirky fun decks, I need easily recognizable images. As I am a riffler shuffler, I need good quality card stock that shuffles cleanly and smoothly.

I have a number of decks that I simply had to have and am sorry I bought. Some of my goth style decks are too dark to clearly see the pictures.

These days, I won't buy a deck, especially a newly published deck, until others use and review it.

That's a great point on clear image and good card stock. Since I too am a riffler I can understand.

cybercat

personally I'm not a fan of *female rider as meaning of this card is traditionally masculine, but some of my fav decks have a girl rider I adore!:) Gilded Reverie by C.M is perfect!:)) also like rider to face right as meaning is more oriented toward the future?:) but it's not a deal break if it's well done, like Rider in Lucky Lenormand is beautiful!:)
also like a Heart to be just that and not to ornamented
but Scythe tip need to be turned down, probably because I interpret it like something ending so it's more about the past, probably having to do with tradition I learned Lenormand right was future and left past?:) also I know some people prefer owls/other birds something like meaning night/day card?:)

He really did a great job with his deck. You can tell he really wanted to keep it as close to the first decks as possible. It will be interesting to see how his additional new cards effect the process of reading.

greatdane

For me, simple....

I want to be able to know WHAT the card is out of the box.

If a card has, let's say a Child petting a Dog, two Lenormand images in one card, unless one is VERY prominent, a deal breaker.

If the image it is supposed to be is VERY small, like the SUN a speck over a GARDEN, not likely one I would want.

I don't personally are which way an image is facing, because I read smaller spreads. I can see that could be really important in a GT, but it isn't for me personally. I don't care if the RIDER is male or female, but want it on a horse and like it to look like the horse is moving.

A card can have more than just the image, but the IMAGE must REIGN supreme on the card. I don't want to have to figure out it is the TREE by process of elimination (like a TREE in a GARDEN with a big PATH).

THE BIGGEST THING....I like CLEAR, EASILY SEEN IMAGES. Otherwise, it might as well be an oracle.

greatdane

JNETT are you talking about Lenormand decks?

or tarot? You mentioned swords and wands which is usually speaking about tarot image.

Since this is about what are deal breakers in Lenormand decks, just want to be sure I know what your deal breakers are.

manandcards

What are some of your deal breakers in buying a deck?
Ex-female Rider or Rider going left.

Curious to know why and do they change your readings.

I'm not keen on mixed images in cards - the Blue Bird Lenormand has an Owl on the coffin card, and the Pixie's Astounding has a Women dominant in the letter card. It's not a real deal breaker, though it does put me off a lot. I like the symbols to be clean and clear.

In a deck like The Burning Serpent Oracle, I make allowances; it's Lenormand with a twist.

I like seeing things like light and shadow in the clouds, or a clearly defined mountain.

jnett

or tarot? You mentioned swords and wands which is usually speaking about tarot image.

Since this is about what are deal breakers in Lenormand decks, just want to be sure I know what your deal breakers are.

Yea, I was talking about Tarot. Sorry, I didn't see what category this was in. I can remove it.