What RWS decks do you consider essential to your collection? (and other questions)

Richard

I have several Rider-Waite decks, but I don't consider them as part of a collection. They are a byproduct of a search for the ultimate RW deck, and that turned out to be two decks, not one: Albano-Waite and Smith-Waite Centennial. I would be perfectly happy with only these two RW decks.

UrbanBramble

I have a specific follow - up question.

I've looked at two gold box riders on Ebay this week. Both have the USG east 32nd street (NY) address on the LWB and say "printed in switzerland by Muller & CIE" on the back of the box. The ISBN on the book and box match, it's 0-913866-13-X. The cards DO have the copyright date on them. Does that mean that I need to look for the Park Street address if I want the cards without the copyright date, or are these newer cards in an older box?

RichardG

Don't buy them.

I've also seen the the LWB with 38 East 32nd Street address AND the cards stamped with the © date around too.
These are not the ones you want for your collection.

Keep waiting - within in a week or two you'll find the East St. LWB and the non-© cards that you want.
The Park St address is the earlier of the two editions and therefore more collectable - and another Park Street deck is also due to surface soon.

Patience, grasshopper. :D

rwcarter

I've never paid attention to the addresses. But I can say from my own collection of yellow-box decks that if the LWB is the 16th printing or older, then it shouldn't have copyrights on the cards, which appeared with the 17th printing of the LWB. I'd have to check tonight to see if my 16thand 17th printing decks have the same address or not.

Tarot dance

....For me....what ever R/W/S owned....it is the Mini R/W/S that I read with every day....

.......Decks in my collection that I could not do without are the Diamond, Radiant & the Universal R/W/S

...A favorite deck to read with is the Golden R/W/S...love the colors

..........The Universal Books is very special deck to me both for sentimental reasons and its history....

............The Hoi Polloi I have is in pristine condition hence I never read with it.....that's just me...

...........I am not sure if you are familiar with this site....it helped me dating some of my decks and also gives a lot of info on the R/W/S decks.

..... Holly's Rider Waite Site
http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/index.html

RichardG

I've never paid attention to the addresses.
I've never paid attention to the printing number in the LWB - until now. :shhh:

if the LWB is the 16th printing or older, then it shouldn't have copyrights on the cards, which appeared with the 17th printing of the LWB.

Awestruck. Again. :bugeyed:

Indeed, mine fall within those parameters.
468 Park Ave LWB is the 9th printing.
38 East 32nd St is the 16th Printing.

Abrac

Some of the East 32nd St. ones have copyrights on the cards and others don't. If you for sure don't want the copyrights, find a 468 Park Ave, or get a Weiser edition.They look the same as the US Games yellow box but says Weiser on the box and booklet. I personally like some of the printings from the mid '80s with the East 32nd St. addy even though they may have copyrights. I think they were experimenting with different colors and finishes and some of them turned out pretty interesting.

I will plus 1 the Rider Deluxe. Very nice indeed. :)

rwcarter

16th printing of the LWB has the following address on it:
38 East 32nd Street
NY, NY 10016

17th printing of the LWB has the following address on it:
38 East 32nd Street
NY, NY 10016

16th printing has no copyrights on the cards, 17th printing does.