Knitted spreadcloths

.traveller.

I've just noticed how nice knitted scarves are for laying out cards. Does anyone actually knit cloths for this purpose rather than reusing an existing scarf? I was wondering which stitch patterns would look nicest for something like a spreadcloth. I have a bit of red wooly yarn that I would like to experiment with, there isn't alot of it but I think I have enough for a small to medium size cloth. I bought it on a whim to make a bag for my Vampire Tarot but then I saw the brutal sharp corners on the deck and I changed my mind.

Sinduction

I crochet mine but I don't see why you couldn't knit one as well.

FatesLady

Two words: Corner rounder.

I crochet... don't use spread cloths, so I never thought to create one out of yarn, but I don't see why you couldn't. I would start with a basic garter stitch since it lies pretty flat, but with a fuzzy yarn... *shrug*

WolfSpirit

.traveller. said:
Does anyone actually knit cloths for this purpose rather than reusing an existing scarf? I was wondering which stitch patterns would look nicest for something like a spreadcloth.

I have not knitted any spreadcloths, I have sewed a few from two cotton fabrics (one side with print, other side plain) but as it happens, I use them more for covers for my baskets than as actually spread cloths. So they have become more of multi-purpose cloths.

As for what stitches to use for a cloth - I would keep it in one colour and use different stitches to make a pattern in relief. It also depends on how easy you want to keep it or want it a bit more challenging.
For example, you could use herringbone, butterfly or basket weave:

http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingstitchesgi/g/herringbone.htm

http://knitting.about.com/od/stitchglossary/g/butterfly.htm

http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingglossary/g/basketweave.htm

I think seed stitch and moss stitch look nice as well but the knit one, purl one can get boring to do.
You can also make different swatches and put them together. As long as it is still in one colour it does not get busy and you have the chance to try out different things. Cables look nice too but that may make the cloth too bumpy.
Can you tell that I am playing with different stitches at the moment ;) ?
I know some people knit dish cloths and they try out different stitches on those - but I'd rather make a spread cloth...I don't have the heart to use my knitting for cleaning up icky stuff :)

.traveller.

I use seed and moss stitch quite alot, they look so nice. I am waffling between using a check pattern vs. a zigzag. I'm knitting from the center out so I am thinking the zigzag may give me a sunburst look which would look kind of cool. I saw a nice design on knitty but it was a bit elaborate, something more mindless would be nice :) . One of these days I really should learn crochet, I can make a basic chain but I haven't buckled down to learn any more.

WolfSpirit

Yes a zigzag from the center out does sound cool !

.traveller.

WolfSpirit said:
Yes a zigzag from the center out does sound cool !

My yarn was too soft to hold the pattern so I may try that with something hardier. I have it all planned out but I think I will have to chart it out first. So much for mindless :p ! However, my second attempt using a lattice stitch with a garter stitch border is turning out wonderful! I am very happy. I'm using some leftover alpaca in a grey/black twist for the border. It's a nice break from the other things I have been knitting.

Taamar

I've crocheted a wonderful waffle pattern for kitchen towels, I'm sure it would work for a spreadcloth with a lighter yarn and nice tight hook.

Bernice

Ooops, nearly missed this thread.

I never thought of crocheting a spread cloth! What a good idea.
I think tunisian crochet might give the best firmness and tightness... and it's easier to introduce a colour design than with the usual d.c &/or half-trebles.

Crochet-people, thank you!

Bee :)

Nevada

Good idea. I have my black cotton velvet, but I'm always up for some variety, and I like a spread cloth with some texture for my more slippery cards to hold onto. Crochet would work great too.