What do you dislike about tarot after going pro fulltime?

214red

Hi
I am currently reading professionally, in my definition of the word, which is to say i charge for readings, i also teach, and did run a circle (took a break to concentrate on other things).

Now i have a day job which i dont hate, it pays well so at the moment i dont need tarot or other stuff i do to support me. Its a nice sideline, i enjoy it and it keeps me in shoes, bags,and books...all the nice luxuries.

However i am going to go fulltime pro next year, and i wondered what you guys dont like about tarot now your professional fulltimers? what did you love that you dont like so much? Has your view of tarot changed now its your primary income?

Am curious about how it changed when your hobby became a job..

JennyNY39

While I can never say Tarot is my primary income because of my husband, I can say it is MY only job. And a lot did change when I decided to do it professionally.

I had to change my easy going personality a bit...as clients seemed to have no problem calling you whenever they want or need to. Dinner time, middle of the night, etc. Some also assume since they paid you once, you are now available for consult for the rest of their lives concerning THAT reading...even tho it's new topics they want to discuss and can't you just lay a "few more cards".

There is also the clients who want to see you all the time. Every other day. They are willing to pay, but allowing a client to get addicted to readings is irresponsible. But many take it personally when you tell them that such frequent readings are not needed. It's hard to be firm without hurting feelings!

And lastly, for me, another big challenge has been social issues. You meet someone, they learn what you do for a living...and then they want to be your best friend. An easy in for free readings. I read palms, too, and can't tell you how many people just rudely shove their hand in my face! And when you politely decline...they act as if your a phony and would not have done a good job anyway! Long ago, I lost the need to "prove" anything and have no problem with whatever they think!

BUT!! There are so many good things that far out weigh the bad! Like meeting so many lovely people...the joy you feel when you know you have truly helped someone...the opportunity to make a difference in someones life...and don't forget...the ability to make money from something you LOVE to do! there is nothing better than that!

All the luck to you!!

Jenn

Baroli

Am curious about how it changed when your hobby became a job...

Many many years ago, I made a vow to be of service to my fellow man. This was before I became interested in Tarot.

I started reading when I was 16, started to read for money when I was in college. But in all honesty, I can say, Tarot enriched my life and I hope the others that I have read for. Tarot for me is just one of the many tools I have in my toolbox.

As far as it changing from a hobby to a job? It has always been a source of joy for me, whether I am reading for myself or for others for money. I just sort of plug in using the Tarot and go from there.

What has changed is me with meeting people as I go along; those who have been reading longer than I (40 years 25 professionally), who share things with me, and I with them.

So,.....there is nothing I dislike about Tarot after going Pro. It's still a joy...when it does become a job, that's when I leave it alone.

214red

thanks Jenn and Baroli

i am a bit nervous about losing the enjoyment i have for it, but its one of many tools in my toolbox so hopefully i will always be able to enjoy it as its not 24/7 tarot:-0

Umbrae

"My boss doesn't understand me..."

"They won't give me a raise..."

"I'm not paid what I'm worth..."

"I do their work and they get paid..."

Excuses regarding work become obsolete. Everything you hate about work – drops on your shoulders.

You’re not going to be relying on the corporation to help you, there are no benefits and no holidays.

On the plus side, an office affair will at least be sex with someone you love…

214red

Umbrae said:
why does the fact you lowered the tone not surprise me!!:)

I used to contract so i guess it will be similar to that, and i will have to make sure i kick myself up the ass occasionally if i get slack.

I am thinking about going part time at work, even though it sounds like its cheating a bit, but i think it might be nice to have a steady income ....but it feels like i cant let go of the zimmer frame

nisaba

JennyNY39 said:
Like meeting so many lovely people...the joy you feel when you know you have truly helped someone...the opportunity to make a difference in someones life...and don't forget...the ability to make money from something you LOVE to do! there is nothing better than that!
Yes! Yes, yes, and yes.

nisaba

Umbrae said:
Excuses regarding work become obsolete. Everything you hate about work – drops on your shoulders.
This is something that i usually overlooked.

Umbrae said:
<cackle>

Sheri

214red said:
Am curious about how it changed when your hobby became a job..

Sorry, just because it isn't my primary income does NOT make my reading business a "hobby."

I don't dislike anything about my reading business. At first though, finding a place to do it (didn't feel comfortable with strangers in my home nor I in theirs), but once I got my office space that issue went away.

:love: Sheri

214red

i hopy doesnt discount it anyway, i do it professionally but i would still say its a hobby because its not my primary income, its not demoting it