Making Bags and Boxes

jeseryn

Hi all!

Ive been on a bagmaking kick for my favorite tarot decks. I handsew because I can't justify buying a sewing machine for such small projects. I thought it would be neat to share ideas and maybe pictures of our homemade tarot bags.

I just bought a bunch of velvets. Pretty pale pink, rosy pink and a salmon color. The black liner.. a bunch of ribbons in organza and pretty filmy types, some beads (for the tassles) I make them lined with seperators (for the lwb and extra cards). I make a little tassle or decoration with beads and such.

Also recently made a bag for a deck out of black flannely type (soft) material and embroidered bright color designs (stars. moons, womans face with wavy hair and such). Made a pretty black tassle with a few rich gypsy colored beads on it for a tie.

I like stuffing lavender between the outer fabric and the liner in some of my cases. It smells really nice for years. Also another idea could be balsam (for those woodsy types).

I'll try to get photos up some point soon.

If you're a craftsy type share your decoration ideas here!

Ahria

I decoupage my boxes, with colours and things I think suit the cards

psychic sue

Im not at all craftsy, but I would love to see picture of your bags. I am a bag-aholic where tarot bags are concerned!

Cagedflame

I like to use beading lace, flat lace made to have a ribbon woven through, instead of a drawstring for a pull & tie. It's pretty and it's a little different. The lavender is an excellent idea. I might try something similar w/ dried citrus peel and cinnamon. Oh! an I need to order some more pearls. I want to sew pearls onto the point of the lace on my bag. Maybe I'll use moonstone for my next bag similarly.

I'd like to get a plain box and stain it nicely and get one of those basic beginner's woodburning kits, and burn some nice symbols/designs onto it. Mmm, a nice deep reddish stain and a stylized 8pt star... that'd be nice. I'll add it to my to-do-eventually list. :)

Elizabeth Genco

I've been buying a bunch of decks lately (I haven't purchased any in ages, so I'm kind of making up for lost time) and some Oracle decks, too, and it occured to me that they're all going to need bags. So I'm thinking of taking a weekend and sitting down with the sewing machine. This thread came along at the right time for me, then. ;)

I'll probably order a bag or two from Tarottotes.com, too.

rainwolf

I make bags out of velvet and silk (and am offering them for trade and whatnot in a thread :D-free advertising) adn sometimes out of cotton fabric depending on: 1. if i have money and 2. if it is a nice design. I also make crocheted bags (yes everyone is shocked). Ill try to attach some pics when i make another one someday...maybe tomorrow. For now here is the thread where the crocheted one is, and when i get the other pic ill post it here too.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=38643

Attachments

• img_0193aeclectic.jpg
    img_0193aeclectic.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,217

Jeanette

Oooh, I love the idea of the lavender between the outer fabric and lining! I'll bet that smells so nice! And the tip about the beading lace/ribbon drawstring! I'll bet that rayon "rat tail" (I think that's what it's called) would look really nice. Thanks for the ideas!

jeseryn

That's great rainwolf! I knit some bags up with cables and beads that are very pretty. I love soft soft alpaca and it keeps my cards warm and snuggly!

Elizabeth Genco

rainwolf said:
I also make crocheted bags (yes everyone is shocked).

Shocked? No way. I want the pattern!!

I just picked up crochet...

peridot

Yeah, what a really great idea…Lavender for scent in the bags! Nice. :) Here’s what I did with a box. My husband and I received one of those “picture” boxes where you insert pictures of your family, friends, or whatever in the top part of the box underneath the glass (it’s got like six different slots), and so instead of sticking pictures in it, I cut out and inserted some unique pattered fabrics instead of photos. It’s my favorite box…