Names of angels and their meanings

isthmus nekoi

Thanks for the pointers. Wizzle, I've heard about the angel dictionary too. Shame it's out of print, I'll probably end up borrowing it from someone...

BlueLotus

isthmus nekoi said:
Thanks for the pointers. Wizzle, I've heard about the angel dictionary too. Shame it's out of print, I'll probably end up borrowing it from someone...

I got my copy of A Dictionary of Angels, including the fallen angels, ISBN # 0-02-907052-X from a used online bookstore at a good price, although I detect that it is still being sold at Amazons'.

You may want to try searching for it via this ISBN #. I am sure it should be out there somewhere.

Dulcimer

isthmus nekoi said:
Any good books that might elabourate on this topic (e.g. the names of god, angels etc.)?

Any decent Grimoire will help - [sounds of evil laughter] nyah ha ha hah! :D

TemperanceAngel

isthmus nekoi said:
I bought mine in a second hand book shop.
I am sure you can find it somewhere!

rachelcat

I also recommend the Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels (Paperback) by Gustav Davidson. It's in print and on Amazon! Very informative!

[[And now an advertisement--I have The Everything Angels Book: Discover the Guardians, Messengers, and Heavenly Companions in Your Life (Everything Series) (Paperback) by Marie-Jeanne Abadie up for trade!! After I got the Dictionary, I don't need it, but it does have good info! Let me know if you're interested!]]

ravenest

Rosanne said:
Uriel, Raphael,Gabriel,Mikhael,Nuriel Their first letters URGMN prnounced argaman means purple. ~Rosanne

Hi Rosanne, found that interesting as I have been doing a study on purple. Could you explain how URGMN means purple, is it the name of purple in another language?

Purple is the episcopal colour and represents the higher spirit plane as it does not actually exist on this plane (although we can see it) ... curious.

Rosanne

ravenest said:
Hi Rosanne, found that interesting as I have been doing a study on purple. Could you explain how URGMN means purple, is it the name of purple in another language?

Purple is the episcopal colour and represents the higher spirit plane as it does not actually exist on this plane (although we can see it) ... curious.

The original Phoenician/Hebrew was a consonantal Abjad-non vowel, of which our Alphabet was a descendent. There were vowels in their language, but it was not considered necessary to show them within the abjad. So you add the vowels to URGMN and get the hebrew word Argaman. I think this type of word study is called Notarikon. Another example is the unspoken sacred name of God, which comes down to us as Yahweh=YHWH.Probally if you used the angels first letter of their name, in another order, you would come up with another word that you could associate with angels.
As to the colour purple-The words Phoenicia and Phoenicians are thought to come from the Greek word meaning purple and refer to those Canaanites which traded in purple cloth and dye with the Greeks.The purple dye was very expensive as it was made from the shell of a sea creature- hence purple became a royal colour because of the expense of the dye. The colour of Pride! It carried on and became the colour for Christians of Lent and Advent, as that is the time awaiting the coming of the King. The Romans thought Jupiter was purple- so Purple was a royal colour- so Jupiter was Power and strength as well. I love the connections of colours- I hope you are enjoying your Purple study. ~Rosanne

Ventrue

if you go to B&N in the religion section, there is usually one like 2 shelves devoted to kabbalistic study. there is a book on B&N staffing list (if they sell it they order another one) call "The 72 Names of God". It's a good book, and it talks about the 72 hebrew angels, which are really the different names of God, and how you can use them in your life. Go check it out, flip through it, and see if it grabs you. It is easy to read, but one of those books you have to study on to actually get real use out of. Regardless, even if you are just marginally interested, its a good book to check out.

Ven

bradford

You're going to get lots of different answers here, depending on where you jump into the history of Jewish religion and mysticism, and nobody lies about their history quite like the Qabalists. The most authentic accounts of the Jewish angels come not from the Jewish bible (which I think names only two), but from the Jewish Apocrypha, like the Book of Enoch.
The Davidson book is excellent. The best place to start. And you can almost always find out of print books at
http://dogbert.abebooks.com

jmd

In a rare 18th or early 19th century French Masonic ritual are the names of four angels that I have not seen referred to elsewhere (though they perhaps are under a different transliteration).

It is possible that they refer to locations, although the ritual itself claims that these are the names of the four Angels who were with Christ during the passion.

One of these is Makin.

Any suggestions or cross-reference?