Coloring the BOTA Tarot

gregory

Oh I did the colours like I was supposed. to. I just - hated it after it was done.

Richard

It is probably best to follow P. F. Case's recommendations for coloring. The colors have occult meanings. (It's an esoteric deck.) I've finished The Magician. So far I like it well enough to continue, but at this rate it may take at least six months to finish it.

ETA. Did a little more work on The Magician.

Attachments

• botamagician.jpg
    botamagician.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 626

gregory

I did. It looked - awful....

Alta

You are doing a good job LRichard, and just think how well you'll know Case's colour table by the time you are finished. :)

LRichard does a lot of shading which makes a difference in my view. I suspect that flat colouring wouldn't look as good.

gregory

You are doing a good job LRichard, and just think how well you'll know Case's colour table by the time you are finished. :)

LRichard does a lot of shading which makes a difference in my view. I suspect that flat colouring wouldn't look as good.

Frankly, I think it is MY colouring that is crap... One day I will show you. Only one card, so as not to embarrass myself TOO much. And only YOU !

Richard

High Priestess

......LRichard does a lot of shading which makes a difference in my view. I suspect that flat colouring wouldn't look as good.
I think it's the shading that makes Mary Hanson-Roberts' Universal Waite so special. In fact, when working on a card, I keep the corresponding card from the Universal as well as the Albano-Waite (a good printing of the Albano, not the current garishly colored one) on hand for ideas on shading and coloring.

Here's the Priestess.

Attachments

• botapriestess.jpg
    botapriestess.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 699

Alta

Now that is exactly what I meant about shading, it appears as if her gown is actually changing into flowing water near the bottom.

Nothing to do with your colouring, but rather the printed lines: to my eyes this HP looks as if she about to burst into tears. :)

akirafist

Yeah shading takes a while, but definitely worth it.

Richard

Now that is exactly what I meant about shading, it appears as if her gown is actually changing into flowing water near the bottom.

Nothing to do with your colouring, but rather the printed lines: to my eyes this HP looks as if she about to burst into tears. :)
Tears, yes indeed! It is a scary card. She is at the entrance to the Abyss, which is behind the screen (with the pomegranates and palms), and there's no way to get to the ultimate goal of life's purpose without crossing it.

Yeah shading takes a while, but definitely worth it.
Did you ever get a pen pad, or are you still working with a mouse? To me, doing computer art with a mouse is sort of like trying to write with my elbow. I keep meaning to get a pad, but it hasn't happened yet.

akirafist

Did you ever get a pen pad, or are you still working with a mouse? To me, doing computer art with a mouse is sort of like trying to write with my elbow. I keep meaning to get a pad, but it hasn't happened yet.

Yep I PM'd you the details.