GT and Houses

Blacktulip06

How do you read the cards in the houses?

For example, how do you read the mice in the House 10, of the Scythe?

andybc

Personally, I don’t bother with houses much as they can often contradict the cards that you’ve dealt i.e. Sun in the House of the Tree would indicate good health. But if the Sun was far away from your card, which was near the Tree, that is a sign of poor health and a lack of vitality.

Back when I was actively teaching I did include them initially because they are popular but later removed it because they were being covered by other teachers who used them (Malkiel, Iris Treppner etc.). This is why I didn't cover then in my book, too.

Scythe and Mice are part of the warning cards, so together they are particularly malefic. If had Mice was position 10 you have to combine it with the Scythe – so the Scythe represents danger, criminality and a threat to you whilst the Mice is theft, loss and erosion. So you could read Scythe – Mice would be a warning against a loss, habitual criminality, someone fleecing you regularly until you’re spent. For accuracy adjust the house meaning by how close the Scythe and Mice are to your card, too.

shadowdancer

I tend not to use houses too often but these are the ways / times I do:

1) chaining. This I use at the end of a GT reading, but only works if I have added houses as part of the GT. Hard to explain here, but it does give me the chance to tell the story as a precis with a little more detail. Malkiel does have a video on YT of this, and Rana describes it in her book.

2) Bit contentious and I know some may frown at this, but if I use a GT, I may well shuffle the house positions also. I find it less restrictive. I like reading the cards to left as pass and the cards to right as energies that may be coming in etc. But if you use the numerically ordered houses, the past cards will ALWAYS be overlaying cards 1, 9, 17 etc. And that I would not read. Because it is would never change from reading to reading. However, by shuffling the house position also, it allows the right house card to appear to the left or right of the significator so I can incorporate house positions if I wish, without compromising the the other steps of the reading. (Hope that makes sense).

I don't know of anyone else who does this, but from what I have experienced, having the house of rider somewhere else other than top left, does not seem to make a difference to the the reading. A card in the house of rider is still card in the house of rider.

Otherwise, I don't read the houses unless it is relevant.

Blacktulip06

Yes, it makes sense, shadowdancer. And it is very interesting. This way you'll not have certain houses always in the past. Some other informations you gave me here I have to cook them better. He he... Maybe I come back and ask you again.

andybc, thank you for your time and answer. Maybe one day I'll find my own way of reading but now I am in the very beginning and I have to ask. I am thinking sometimes they can give you details in a reading.

I started to watch Malkiel videos on YT.

Village Witch

2) Bit contentious and I know some may frown at this, but if I use a GT, I may well shuffle the house positions also. I find it less restrictive. I like reading the cards to left as pass and the cards to right as energies that may be coming in etc. But if you use the numerically ordered houses, the past cards will ALWAYS be overlaying cards 1, 9, 17 etc. And that I would not read. Because it is would never change from reading to reading. However, by shuffling the house position also, it allows the right house card to appear to the left or right of the significator so I can incorporate house positions if I wish, without compromising the the other steps of the reading. (Hope that makes sense).

I don't know of anyone else who does this, but from what I have experienced, having the house of rider somewhere else other than top left, does not seem to make a difference to the the reading. A card in the house of rider is still card in the house of rider.

Otherwise, I don't read the houses unless it is relevant.
While I read past and future, I most often box the significators in the GT. In this case I do read the house the significators land on. In my readings, I find the houses to be very accurate... or at least I think so. :D I sometimes do a house-to-house trail in order to find out more about a specific card. For example: I kept getting the Snake next to the Woman in almost every read. Using the house-to-house technique, I realized I am my own worst enemy. My irrational fears where holding me back from the abundance I hoped for. In that case, the cards were very revealing and healing.

Seems you have a very unique was with the GT houses, shadowdancer. Very interesting!