Favorite Marseilles based styles?

jmd

Bob O'Neill's papers are always wonderful to read, and expand and revise certain views expressed in his Tarot Symbolism and his e.book Catharism and the Tarot.

It is worth revisiting from time to time, for updates and revisions occur without notice.

Black*Cat

Re: Re: Two links-Paris and Vieville variations

Ross G Caldwell said:
Thanks for the websites Mari.

I would love to get a copy of the Paris Tarot.

The Paris Tarot is out of print, from what I can see on the internet. Reproductions in colour of all of the atouts are given by Christina Olsen in "Art of Tarot".

I shall be keeping my eyes open for dusty tarot decks in out of the way corners in stores here in France, in the off chance that they have an unsold copy of one of these decks.

Ross

Interestingly I just picked up a copy of the Tarot de Paris at the oddest little magic shop (run out of the garage of a suburban house in Melbourne!). If anyone is still looking for this deck I'd be happy to go back & see if they have any other copies.

I bought them because I was interested in beginning a study of the early tarots, & have become quite fascinated by these cards.

Thanks for all the insights that you all have put into these fora, it's a great resource for those of us who are just starting out in our understanding of the early decks.

Black*Cat

The website that Mari posted is:
http://www.spiritone.com/~filipas/Masquerade/Reviews/paris.html

Cerulean

BTW, in the two years that have passed...

since I've started this thread, there's been better and more accurate discussion and distinctions of types of historical tarots and their various origins.

So many of us posting in 2004 --- well, at least myself --- have narrowed down our definitions of what is meant by Marseilles pattern. In some reviews of 2002 and 2003, I remember reading "RWS"-style for pictorial and scenic minors and "Marseilles" style for decks with simply pip icons and perhaps some decorative motifs. My first tarot deck, the Ukiyo-e, was a modern art deck with landscapes and animals decorating the minor cards and was called "Marseilles" style by reviewers.

I also sometimes have forgotton in 2004 that some of my older Paris reproduction decks of the 1650s-1804 are not regarded as true "Marseilles"--so my apologies to any new readers in this forum.

Best regards,

Cerulean Mari