Anyone familiar with stairs of gold tarot by tavaglione

poopsie

Is anyone familiar with the Stairs of Golf Tarot by Tavaglione? I researched a bit in our "cards" but unfortunately, there were no reviews. I am curious because I don't seem to see much literature about it. It has a booklet and the fonts used are typically the old English calligraphy type. I am wondering if this is an old historic deck or something conceived to look old (as in 18th or 19th century) but really was created in 1979.

I hope someone can help on this one. Thanks in advance.

AJ

I had it and sold it on to MoonGypsy if I remember right.
Thick book all in Italian.
It went out the door because of the plain pips, and everything but the kitchen sink majors :)

gregory

HERE is a page about Tavaglione himself. He did create the deck and others, in the 1970s.

jema

I got it, and my book is in english, but in a funny florish font. The cards got a lot of borders and rather heavy ones at that, they feature a lot of info though. It is just pips for minors though so be prepared for that if you get it. I quite like mine and wouldn't wanna part with it - not yet though. I think there were talk on here not too long ago to revive some study group on it.

Morwenna

I have this deck; it's the first one I ever bought. The LWB is in English but calligraphed; it makes it feel rather hippyish to me, which is fine because I'm a frustrated wanted-to-be-hippie-but-never-had-the-courage-at-the-time. There's a lot in this deck, at least in the LWB and the Majors (and in the archangel names on the minors), but I was too buffaloed when I first had it, and since then I've been distracted by other things, among them other easier decks! I'm one of those who mentioned recently that I need to get back into studying this deck, but I still haven't (I'm still distracted).

Morwenna

HERE is a page about Tavaglione himself. He did create the deck and others, in the 1970s.

OK, I'm intrigued. The site lists three decks, all of which I knew about (2 of them through AT), but it states he created four. Anyone have a clue what might be the fourth, or is that a misprint?

gregory

Crumbs ! Good point. I shall have to research now. (well, not now, it is nearly bedtime, but still...)

Le Fanu

OK, I'm intrigued. The site lists three decks, all of which I knew about (2 of them through AT), but it states he created four. Anyone have a clue what might be the fourth, or is that a misprint?
Won't it be Stairs of Gold + Estella (?) + Enoil Gavat + that Romanesque Oracolo della Sibilla? That would be four...

I love the Stairs of Gold because it's very 70s, just don't ask me to read with it...Oddly dry and hermetic.

gregory

Stairs of Gold was listed in Tarotpedia (my link). What the fourth is is the 22 card Astrology Tarot (Told you I would do some research. :)

It is in Kaplan 3.

(The others are Tavaglione, Enoil Gavat and Stairs of Gold.)

poopsie

Heck, I really must be so ignorant. For awhile, I thought I got a tarot deck that's from the 17th century because of the fonts. i didn't realize it was hippie-ish. :laugh: I don't mind it though because it does look interesting.

I'm curious though about the maker, too. I checked Gregory's reference but it didn't really say much about him. However, he probably must still be alive considering that there seems to be a plan to add a website or something.

I haven't read it yet because I think I need to scan the pages of the book so I can read better or at least use a magnifying glass. I find the letters too small.

Curious, though - has anyone actually used it?