Wintry deck/cold deck

Aeric

I don't think it would be too difficult to create a deck specifically dedicated to Winter.

There are all kinds of angles you could take with it. The natural world is full of snowstorms, icy roads, snow-covered branches snapping off trees in silent forests, winter animals foraging in the snow. And that's just Northern bias; the Southern hemisphere is quite the opposite!

Add in humans and there's winter activities, ice skating, hockey, sledding, snowmen, angels, forts, snowball fights, maple syrup tapping. All the negatives like shovelling, scraping ice off your car, getting caught in blizzards. People having all sorts of fun outdoors and then driven indoors by the cold to gather over hot dinners, hot chocolate, and roaring fires. To say nothing of spiritual events like Christmas, Yule, and Imbolc.

Throw in the myths of cultures accustomed to long winters like Inuit, Eskimo, Russian, and Norse, and you have a giant deck to play with.

conurelover

That sounds like the making of a wonderful deck Aeric.

Juliana

Wild Unknown for sure. It just reminds me of those cold winter nights.

Lee

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I always thought the Hudes Tarot was very wintry. Lots of bare branches and chilly facial expressions. The Lovers card is quite depressing! :D

conurelover

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I always thought the Hudes Tarot was very wintry. Lots of bare branches and chilly facial expressions. The Lovers card is quite depressing! :D

Oh wow yes! Even the borders are wintry! That is a great one.

rota

I'd go with the Ironwing.

SunChariot

What is your favorite deck to use when it is cold?
The coldest season is coming soon to those of us in the Northern Hemisphere.

Do you use a warmer deck?
Or do you like to use a specific deck during the winter months that reminds you of the chill and longer nights?

Maybe a black and white?

I've never even thought of doing this. Interesting concept though. Honestly the decks I choose have nothing to do with the weather or the temperature. I just try to sense each time which deck will best answer the question,

Still it's an interesting idea.:grin:

And wow, it was REALLY cold today too!

Babs

kalliope

I second (third? fourth?) the Wild Unknown for a wintry/cold deck. It has that spare beauty of winter, what with all of the bare branches and the black/white high contrast. But than again, I'm a huge fan of winter scenes with snow-covered trees. A very different choice, but equally fitting for me would be the Darkana. If you enjoy the I Ching, the Holitzka would be great.

The Hudes definitely has a chilly vibe, although I don't have that one! The Tarocco delle Vetrate might also be a good one if you find the crystalline stained glass to be a bit distant (but gorgeous), as I did. I think The Intuitive Tarot by Conway has a cold/barren atmosphere, too.

For autumn, I like the Golden Tarot of Klimt, Sacred Rose, PCS Commemorative, Golden Tarot (Black), or Morgan Greer. Something about the warm or jewel toned palettes in each of these remind me of this time of year.

The Antiquarian Lenormand is a great cold weather deck, also. The Melissa Lenormand, too.

conurelover

I second (third? fourth?) the Wild Unknown for a wintry/cold deck. It has that spare beauty of winter, what with all of the bare branches and the black/white high contrast. But than again, I'm a huge fan of winter scenes with snow-covered trees. A very different choice, but equally fitting for me would be the Darkana. If you enjoy the I Ching, the Holitzka would be great.

The Hudes definitely has a chilly vibe, although I don't have that one! The Tarocco delle Vetrate might also be a good one if you find the crystalline stained glass to be a bit distant (but gorgeous), as I did. I think The Intuitive Tarot by Conway has a cold/baren atmosphere, too.

For autumn, I like the Golden Tarot of Klimt, Sacred Rose, PCS Commemorative, Golden Tarot (Black), or Morgan Greer. Something about the warm or jewel toned palettes in each of these remind me of this time of year.

The Antiquarian Lenormand is a great cold weather deck, also. The Melissa Lenormand, too.

I own an Intuitive Tarot Deck! I should get it out soon!

Myrrha

I don't think it would be too difficult to create a deck specifically dedicated to Winter.

There are all kinds of angles you could take with it. The natural world is full of snowstorms, icy roads, snow-covered branches snapping off trees in silent forests, winter animals foraging in the snow. And that's just Northern bias; the Southern hemisphere is quite the opposite!

Add in humans and there's winter activities, ice skating, hockey, sledding, snowmen, angels, forts, snowball fights, maple syrup tapping. All the negatives like shovelling, scraping ice off your car, getting caught in blizzards. People having all sorts of fun outdoors and then driven indoors by the cold to gather over hot dinners, hot chocolate, and roaring fires. To say nothing of spiritual events like Christmas, Yule, and Imbolc.

Throw in the myths of cultures accustomed to long winters like Inuit, Eskimo, Russian, and Norse, and you have a giant deck to play with.

There is the Snowland Tarot which attempts to do pretty much what you describe:

http://www.janetboyer.com/Snowland_Tarot.html
The Jack Frost and Hulda cards are lovely, but it is not a deck for me. I would love a winter themed deck though.