A King's Journey Tarot-What happened to it?

James Battersby

Hi there.

I just joined Aeclectic recently and i am pleased to meet you.

As the artist for A King's Journey Tarot I've decided to look into the possibility of re-releasing this deck as a small print run (or at least until i can gage interest in it) by myself. As some of you already know, the deck has been virtually unavailable anywhere for the past few years now and I really felt that with such a huge body of work (over 94 illustrations) it's a shame to have it out of action for so long (considering the amount of great feedback I've received and requests to revive it).

When it was first printed, a lot of people's main issue was the price. Three years on i would like to officially announce that i did not profit from this tarot deck despite it's high price. I also had no say in the pricing of that deck.

But now on to the good news! A few years have passed and i've decided to revive the deck. While i've never published a deck before myself, i've worked with various publishers both in the United States (including Schiffer, where Simply Deep is still available online) and here in Northern Ireland, so i am fairly confident that we'll deliver a great quality King's Journey Tarot deck to everyone who wants one.

We're still in the planning stages but thinking of a 2.5" x 3.5" inch dimension deck, which makes it near the same size as the original printing. Card stock will be linen as we feel it's more durable.I will be shipping the decks personally to you from Northern Ireland. I ask that you email me at personal email address removed or friend me on my facebook page and message me there if you would like to be added to the list. I am unsure how many decks i will be printing, it depends on interest.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Kings-Journey-Tarot/546930855400961?ref=hl

https://www.facebook.com/james.battersby.37

Aeric

KJT has always intrigued me since its lack of text makes it excellent for shuffled storytelling purposes. I support its revival!

James Battersby

Thanks Aeric, i appreciate it. I've found that myself. Without the borders the images sometimes merge into each other, for example water, waterfalls and varying things.

I forgot to mention that we will be creating a querent card for the deck to celebrate it's resurrection.

I wanted to say also, that i'm happy to hear people's views on, for example a bordered version, numbered/lettered etc or anything new that you'd like to see for this edition. Still in the planning stages but i'd like to hear people's views.

Thanks
James

Aeric

Quite honestly, I would prefer it exactly as is. Adding conventional touches like borders and text would detract from its uniqueness to the Tarot corpus.

This is a deck whose challenge is to see beyond classic Tarot labels and boundaries. The card that happens to have four cups on it may deliver a different message than if it were explicitly called Four of Cups. This could lead the user to extending interpretations beyond popular Four of Cups meanings. One is forced to study the lush and detailed visuals to develop patterns and relationships between cards, rather than faster categorization and compartmentalization from reading titles.

Quester

I would like to be added to the list!! I love this deck just the way it is.

James Battersby

Thanks Quester

I will add you to the list. Thanks so much for showing an interest. Samples have already been organised and i should get them in about a weeks time. I'm excited

WhiteWolfy

I would like to be added to the list too please :)

daphne

I am also interested, of course if the price is not prohibiting. It looks nice and I already like the Simply Deep Tarot, I did know know you also created that.

avalonian

Definitely interested, have sent email.

:) :) :)

rwcarter

Welcome James!

I managed to snag one of the last available sets, but I'd be interested in a v2.0 depending on price.

Just to clarify, you're talking about a re-release of just the deck with an additional card and possibly changes to the layout of the art, but nothing else associated with the original set?

Rodney