Psychedelic Rider-Waite cards

Laura Borealis

Hurrah! I'm glad someone is getting it. And I know you're an appreciator of art (and an artist yourself).

I figure the cost has to factor in the book, too. And of course the artist's time. Artists hardly ever get paid what they're worth, and people are always after them to lower prices and even give their stuff away.

tarotbear

IT'S A 'MAJORS-ONLY' DECK, TOO - FOR THAT PRICE???? :bugeyed:

starlightexp

It looks like the deluxe edition is sold out so I wonder how many of the standard edition are left.

Laura Borealis

That was fast! Though there were only 30 of the Deluxe.

starlightexp

Still 30 decks at $150 is a hefty amount to haul. This is my gift to myself this Yule season and I can't wait to see it.

Le Fanu

It feels very novelty for me. Something for the retro crowd and their camper vans. I find all tarot fascinating so I'm not sneering at all but I would never in a million years want to read with it. It feels like -metaphorically speaking - cake decorating. There is a sense of something of substance behind it but completely clouded with decoration for the sake of it. I don't see drugs, I see something akin to sugar paste.

tarotbear

It feels like -metaphorically speaking - cake decorating. There is a sense of something of substance behind it but completely clouded with decoration for the sake of it. I don't see drugs, I see something akin to sugar paste.

Le Fanu - that is a very profound but completely true statement. I like it. :surprise:

Richard

The cards are kinda neat in a way, but I get tired of mannerisms in artistic expression. Every card sags and drips. Having done psychedelics of all sorts (acid, mushrooms, etc.) in my youth, I don't recall any hallucinations of things sagging and dripping. Somewhat more recent experiences with hash and psilocybin were not even particularly pleasant. Once a few mushrooms caused my computer to start glaring angrily at me (but not dripping), so I lay down until it wore off. Never again. Jack Daniels is kinder and gentler.

Natsumi

In my opinion: That is called degradation. I do not find any art on that.

Greetings,
Natsumi

vonzos

Hi - We're the publishers of Oliver Hibert's Major Arcana and wanted to reply in general terms to some of points and questions raised here.

Firstly, it's great to see people seriously debating all aspects of tarot in a serious and thoughtful way. We only became aware of this board when someone sent us a link but its a fascinating read.

Secondly, many thanks for all the comments on Oliver's release - both good and bad.

Yes, this is primarily an art release. It was not necessarily designed by Oliver or by us to to be a usable deck, however we believe that it can be used for regular tarot purposes and Oliver went to great lengths to ensure the integrity of the symbolism in the cards.

In an essay in the accompanying book, Oliver gives some background on what the original Smith tarot means to him and why he embarked on this project - I think for anyone who has bought a copy, this essay will shed a great deal of light on the question of impetus and motive.

Equally, the inclusion of the essay by Caroline Wise about Pamela Colman Smith demonstrates Oliver's genuine love of Smith's work - this essay, for us at least, puts a new context on Smith's life and work. Caroline Wise has been active in occult and esoteric circles in the UK and farther afield for many years and may well be known to some of the people on this forum.

And yes, there is a reproduction in the book of a PCS painting that, as far as we or its owner knows, has never been publicly exhibited nor has it appeared in print before.

In terms of a complete deck, Oliver is working on the Minor Arcana right now and we hope to release it in Spring/Summer 2015. The reason for issuing the Major now, on its own, was because of demand.

Anyone who purchases the Major Arcana will be able buy the Minor for a reduced price when it is finished. Oliver is genuinely committed to making his work accessible and rewarding anyone who supports his work.

I hope no one minds us posting here and if anyone has a specific question, we will check back and be happy to answer anything!