Daughters of the Moon

Aeric

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/daughters-of-the-moon/

I was gifted Daughters of the Moon yesterday! I regularly use feminist decks for myself but Daughters is one for which I've only owned the book, that I've about worn through. A wonderful soul gave me her deck and a replacement book as a thank you present.

For the first time I've seen the cards in colour in person rather than online, as the book's illustrations are b/w only. What an explosion! It's an absolute riot of joy, passion, dignity, and pride. The artwork is better than Motherpeace by leaps and bounds, with glorious painted colours on fully detailed figures. Many of the goddesses chosen to represent the cards are well researched and extremely dynamic.

The essential difference between Motherpeace and DOM is that Motherpeace maintains a more traditional Tarot structure with some inspiration from the Thoth deck's family of court cards. There are also fewer actual goddesses among the cards and more depictions of human women in social-cultural settings. DOM restructures the courts as Maiden, Mother, and Crone, and absorbs traditional male characters into the female counterparts: Isis the Priestess combines the High Priestess and Hierophant, and Mawu the Mother combines Emperor and Empress.

There are two versions of the Lovers, a male-female pair and a female-female pair. While there is no male-male pair, this deck is reflective of women's experiences, so they're left out. Maybe the colours are what it took, but I don't even mind the Pan card, the sole male card in the deck, intended to illustrate a man who has attuned himself with the deck's principles and the Goddess. It's a lovely vision. Originally I found the card somewhat difficult to attune with as a man, but now I've embraced it.

There are three Devil cards: Oppression is about the legacy of abuse and destruction of women, a thoroughly negative card and the most negative of the Aether (Majors) suit. Pan is the male Devil reclaimed as a positive image, and Coyotewomon is a female Devil card representing a trickster figure.

The Swords suit in Tarot traditionally carries many more negative cards than the other three. So more negative cards have been distributed throughout the deck to balance it out. The Two of Cups, for example, is now a negative card called the Whirlpool.

This is a deck that I believe would appeal more specifically to lesbians amidst all women. Although it was designed with all followers of Women's movement and Goddess spirituality in mind, some of the imagery involves nude women in intimate (but not necessarily sexual) situations. A spiritual lesbian might find the deck much more accessible than a spiritual straight woman, since there are only two men in the entire deck. Followers of dual-gender systems, such as traditional Wiccans, might find the lack of male balance unappealing as no God is mentioned save the Pan card.

Why do I, a gay man, particularly like this deck? For me, it's one of the most successful restructured Tarot decks, that any Tarot veteran could easily see where changes were made. But it also beautifully fits Goddess movement ideology without having to sacrifice or squeeze a lot of its principles to fit the deck. If you enjoy women's spirituality, this is an extremely appealing deck, and people of all sexes and genders have something to learn from it.

http://shekhinah.net/AboutShekhinahsTarotDeck.htm

http://www.tarotpassages.com/aradia.htm

Daughters of the Moon is considered a sister deck to two others: the Book of Aradia now out of print, and Shekhinah's Tarot, unfinished and unpublished since Shekhinah Mountainwater died in 2007. You can see obvious visual similarities between the three decks as they were collaborated upon by many members of the same group of ladies.

Lunaea

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/daughters-of-the-moon/

Daughters of the Moon is considered a sister deck to two others: the Book of Aradia now out of print, and Shekhinah's Tarot, unfinished and unpublished since Shekhinah Mountainwater died in 2007.

Shekhinah's deck was finished, just not published, alas. She used it for readings for many years, and it is the foremother of Daughters of the Moon in many ways. Thanks for mentioning her in your post!

Aeric

Oh I see!

The only visuals of it I've found besides her website is her last interview from 2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3m-BtT2NsA

Was it the foremother of DOM? I've been trying to puzzle out the particulars of this triad of decks.

The DOM book says that it was conceived as the Matriarchal Tarot, but then so does the Aradia title card. At some point, did Shekhinah split from Ffiona and Jean and conceive her own deck?

http://www.daughtersofthemoon.com/about.htm

Ffiona's site makes no mention of Shekhinah at all, so I wonder if Shekhinah was only involved with the book's writing. The book states that she and Ffiona co-wrote it, but also that the text was re-edited by Ffiona. Was there a difference of opinion between them and she left the project?

edit: Duhhh that's what I get for not bothering to read closely.

"Many of the concepts and designs first created by Shekhinah are present in all three decks, such as: the round shape, the greater emphasis on fiery, watery, airy, earthy, and spirit elements, the move away from the old heirarchy of "Major and Minor Arcana" found in traditional decks, and the introduction of Maidens, Mothers, and Crones to replace the old "Court cards." There are concepts and designs created by all the original contributors present in all three decks. And, each has gone on to craft decks containing their own visions as well. "I call them sister decks," says Shekhinah. "There is room in my tarot universe for all of us, and for acknowledgement to all."

So all of the design elements were Shekhinah's idea, but she left Ffiona and Jean to incorporate their own ideas into their own decks, using Shekhinah's Tarot as a structural template. It doesn't seem there was ever animosity between them, just a desire to create more decks than collaborating on just one. I would love to see Shekhinah's published one day, and good on whoever owns Aradia.

Daughters was the only widely published deck but appears to be going if not already OOP.

More Shekhinah examples: http://dianicstudycircle.tripod.com/divination/shekhinahtarot.html

Madrigal

I know this is an old thread but DOM has been floating around in my atmosphere lately. Thank you, Aeric, for such a good intro and review of this deck as well as sharing your personal feelings about what it inspires in you. This feels like a deck I could resonate with.

fractalgranny

daughters of the moon is one of my favourite decks. i find it very inspiring, and love using it when i want to connect with goddess energy. and i'm not really lesbian :)

rwcarter

Used bookstore I was in this past weekend had both a deck in the box and a shrinkwrapped deck without box, both the color version. Hadn't thought about that deck in a long time even though I own both B&W and color copies and then to have two mentions of it cross my path in less than a week!

MoonGypsy

Haven't been without one in at least 25 years...i feel very close to that deck.
i still remember the day i purchased it at the Bodhi Tree Bookstore in CA.
Our own Madame Squee recently made a beautiful new cozy pouch for it.

Madrigal

Thank you all for happily enabling me :thumbsup: The Daughters are on their way :D

swedishfish612

I have this, too, and while I haven't gotten in depth with it yet, I would never part with it. I think the images are beautiful and powerful.

And Book of Aradia has been on my wishlist since I saw pictures of it in one of Shekinah Mountainwater's books.