Laminating cards

G6

There are two ways to laminate. Take them to Kinkos and have them run it through their large laminator and cut them apart leaving plastic all around the card (the card is sandwiched between two layers, the heat seal bonds the plastic to plastic, if you cut too close you open the 'pouch').

Or you can use a home laminator that does the same thing. Depends on how thick the laminate is, some are pretty thick so you have two layers plus the card for each card.

Or you go get clear contact paper from WalMart or the Dollar Store and set your cards face down or face up on this and only 'laminate' one side to protect it - that won't peel off, it bonds to the paper itself. You can do both sides of course, but you still have to trim around each card. Since it bonds to the paper you can cut all the way up to the edge of the card using this method.

Thanks for the info! What is your opinion on these methods in terms of overall use and durability (meaning some folks say lamination wears off)?

HudsonGray

The spray on lamination would wear off over time, but a layer of plastic going on the cards with the heat application is usually too thick to wear off.

lark

I used clear contact paper when I made my Greenwood deck.
Worked very well and a few friends have done the same.
One of my reader buddies got permission from the creator of the Simple Tarot to reprint a deck for his personal use and he used the clear contact paper and he loves it.
I made a Greenwood deck for another friend and even though she eventually got a real deck she prefers the home made deck, because it shuffles so nice and the colors are more vibrant...
Anyway just another idea you might want to consider.

debitutchi

I've purchased a couple of homemade, laminated decks and really dislike them, the shine, the unnatural feel of plastic in hand, how cheaply they are made (flimsy paper encased in plastic). Of course that's not your problem.
This was my solution...
I scanned the decks, and had them reprinted on card stock. The bonus with reprinting is that now I have 2 copies of a deck/artwork that I love, and I was able to change the card's back which I did not.

This sounds very interesting! You scan the card images and send them to a printer…and assign a new card back…genius!

Who do you use as a printer? The Sola Busca cards are kind of big--longer than standard tarot card dimensions…I wonder if that would be an issue? Would love to hear some more thoughts?

Starri Knytes

This sounds very interesting! You scan the card images and send them to a printer…and assign a new card back…genius!

Who do you use as a printer? The Sola Busca cards are kind of big--longer than standard tarot card dimensions…I wonder if that would be an issue? Would love to hear some more thoughts?
Might try printersstudio. I've use zazzle too for unusual size images with a lot of detail that couldn't be compressed, they aren't really a game type printer though.