If You were to make your own oracle

SpiritOfTheDogz

if you had the time, patience, know-how and reseorses to make your own deck what would it be and what would the structure?

If I could take slightly beter pictures than I do withn the camera then it would be a deck made with photos rather than drawings (there is a lot more chance of me making a good ohoto than drawing).

It would probably consist of around 40 cards, each diplicting a buildings & landmarks from the Peak Disrtict National Park here in the UK.

In some ways it would have a few similar meanings to tarot but it would be more oracle based with most of the cards. There is a nice crumbled down castle not too far away what would make a good "tower", there's one or two areas, called "lovers leap" which could be a lovers card, some nice churches representing weddings, chritinings etc, and quite a few majestic stately homes, probably would be an emperor or king type of card. I'f be stuck after those four though!

What would you do if you could?

Paul

GryffinSong

I think mine would be items/animals from nature. I don't know what the structure would be, but the images would come from dreams and imagery that I've experienced, or will experience in the future. I can imagine a bunch of animals, a bunch of scenes, and perhaps some to do with stone and water, sky and earth. Fire too. So, nature and the elements. Somehow. LOL

At first I thought I'd draw/paint them, but as I think of some of the photography I've done, it might be abstract-ish photo collage.

Great question!

fina

I'm working on one now of the mythology of a series of books I love. But I haven't decided what I'm doing about the pictures. I'm a terrible artist. But the deck would just be for me. Maybe drawing would be an interesting experience. I used to paint lots...

SpiritOfTheDogz

GryffinSong said:
I think mine would be items/animals from nature.
Great question!

I'd thought of animals, especially dogs :) But figured out if I were to do it, buildings & landmarks would stand still long enough for a picture to be taken;)

fina said:
I'm working on one now of the mythology of a series of books I love. But I haven't decided what I'm doing about the pictures.

The pictures were the first things I thought of, if I were to do it what would be the easiest pictures for me to do.
what's the mythology about anything in particular or diferent ones?

I've been inspired by my own thread...I've just started writing a book of ideas and places to photo.

Paul

Little Hare

Mine would be on tattoos, I have a obsession with them, I would include, 'Old Skool' 'NewSkool' 'Biomechanical', Religous, Tribal, and historical tattoos from Indigneous societies from around the world.

In regards to how big i would have it? At least 60 cards I would want to use top of the line tattooists such as; Josh Roelink, Paul Booth etc.etc. and also obtain permission for the use of Indigneous tattoos from the different Tribes and Clans.

fina

peace_pixie said:
Mine would be on tattoos, I have a obsession with them, I would include, 'Old Skool' 'NewSkool' 'Biomechanical', Religous, Tribal, and historical tattoos from Indigneous societies from around the world.

In regards to how big i would have it? At least 60 cards I would want to use top of the line tattooists such as; Josh Roelink, Paul Booth etc.etc. and also obtain permission for the use of Indigneous tattoos from the different Tribes and Clans.
Please, please, please, if your going to do "tribal" make sure you understand what it means. I hate tribal tattoos (and kanji) that are just "nice" looking. They mean something, whether you know it or not.
But I definitely like the idea. I have several tattoos of which my favorite is large wounds on the my back where my wings were ripped off Icarus-style (by my spirit-guide who calls himself Icarus). And I have an Old-School peacock which was done my the oldest tattoo artist in Canada. Geeze, I would love this deck the more i think about it. Keep us all posted about it.

fina

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
The pictures were the first things I thought of, if I were to do it what would be the easiest pictures for me to do.
what's the mythology about anything in particular or diferent ones?
Well, I don't want to give too much away because I'm jealously guarding this idea, but it has to do with the mythology of this fictional society. Angels and stuff. Pretty neat. I would not focus on the events in the books at all, just what the people believed.
I'm sorta thinking about using old paintings that fit. But only if they fit perfectly. And because it would be for my own use, copyright is not an issue. Another reason I don't want to say too much.

Little Hare

fina said:
Please, please, please, if your going to do "tribal" make sure you understand what it means. I hate tribal tattoos (and kanji) that are just "nice" looking. They mean something, whether you know it or not.
But I definitely like the idea. I have several tattoos of which my favorite is large wounds on the my back where my wings were ripped off Icarus-style (by my spirit-guide who calls himself Icarus). And I have an Old-School peacock which was done my the oldest tattoo artist in Canada. Geeze, I would love this deck the more i think about it. Keep us all posted about it.

By tribal I don't mean the popular crap you see on every 3rd person or Kanji that alot of people have,Honestly i can't stand that stuff! What I mean by tribal I guess is the closer to Indigenous tattoos.....its hard to explain but as you would know there are so many subsections within the tattoo community :laugh:

By the way I'm not actually completing it. I have no funds and the two artists i've mentioned are booked years in advance. .. I thought this question was asked in a 'If you could' style of questioning.

But I would love something along this style. Oh yeah and the cards would have no borders :)

anndelise

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
if you had the time, patience, know-how and reseorses to make your own deck what would it be and what would the structure?

If I could take slightly beter pictures than I do withn the camera then it would be a deck made with photos rather than drawings (there is a lot more chance of me making a good ohoto than drawing).

I would love to make a renewed version of "The Athiest Tarot". It's not really a tarot. But it wasn't made by a person aware of how to read cards, either. Despite that, he did pretty good with the ideas. Taking scientific concepts that apply to real life and made a set of cards for them. I've never enjoyed the sciences, but I learned quite a lot from reading through it. His basic idea would be great for a set of 'trump' cards. Maybe even just taken as a whole as an oracle...but something seems missing.

It's also done in stick figure type format, where the heads may change or the body may have a symbol attached to it. I actually like the simplicity of that style. I remember seeing a stick figure tarot on the internet once. I thought it was the coolest thing. (I also like the international icon one, but the stick figures just do something more for me!!)

Another idea that runs through my head often is taking some of the concepts that I like from my readings (such as the Heirarchy of Needs, the Triangle of Love, the 5 Love Languages, the 5 Languages of Apology, and the whole Hot/Cold/Wet/Dry thing, etc) and making some kind of oracle type thing with those. Maybe along the style of Synchro-Signs (little cardstock squares with a symbol of the meaning written on it, and pulled out of a bag rune-style).

Actually, it was the two ideas above that prompted me to study card reading...to get an idea of how the concepts are used and manipulated and derive meaning from when combined.

I like simplicity in design, simplicity and 'realness' of concepts, with an easy mix-n-match flavor.

Oh, and I've recently learned that I also want something that could also be useful in terms of using for 'spellwork'.

ana luisa

I already made 2 oracles and don't quite care for style or finish. One was made (as many know already) with old playmobil pieces. The other, with pictures cut from an old photoshop book. I'm now trying to finish two others. The TV series oracle and the Leaf oracle. The first shows pictures of famous series (old and new). The other is made with pressed leaves I find on the streets. I gave up on my Noodle oracle (not enough variety).Well, to me it's fun this way. And economical!! :)