Wildwood - 5 of Vessels * Ecstasy

flipperjane

This card has an image of a girl dancing ecstatically under the starry night sky. She is dancing in a pentacle which has five vessels containing a candle each, one at each point.
It is so different to how I've always thought of the 5 of Cups.
I'd love to know how others view this card and how they interpret it.

Ziev

Im new to studying this deck but really LOVE it. The images speak to me deep inside.

In this card I think as the five vessels lightening up on their own from the joy of the dancer who looks like she is also in a trance. She is wearing a necklace of teeth and is holding two staffs. One is a thyrsus which Dionysus is known for carrying along with his followers. A thyrsus is a fennel staff, tipped with a pine-cone. Some used this staff for fertility rituals like dancing. This is a symbol of prosperity and fertility, pleasure and enjoyment. The other is a leather headed rattle which was also used in ceremonies and is said to bring a better spiritual connection to the creator.

Unlike most 5 of vessels/cups this card really appeals to me. I think she is happy for what life has brought to her. Even though she is only half way through her journey she is giving thanks for the abundance in her life and asking for it to continue. While she knows the future is uncertain she is secure that it will be how it is meant to be and wants to continue to give thanks to spirit for all prosperity that will continue to come. She looks so happy that I want to go and dance with her...lol. Pure ecstasy.

This is just my take on it. Comments are welcome and I would like to hear what others think.

flipperjane

What is the signifigance of her dancing in the pentacle I wonder?

It's taking me ages to connect with this card. I'm beginning to see that she is lost in a world of her own - the only way i can see this at the moment is when I put Opera on the music system at full blast when I am alone in the house and it utterly consumes me. I can't hear anything else, I don't want anything else. The amazing power and glory of it is all consuming - it dredges up all kinds of emotions usually hidden and unknown.

Fives are usually quite turbulent and chaotic aren't they - as you say - half way along the journey. It looks as if she has yet to connect with anybody - she's totally wrapped up in herself.

I don't find the book very clear about this - what is " the space between spaces" ????

Ziev

I think that dancing in the pentacle brings her closer to her creator. I dont see this card as she is wrapped up in her self. I think she is connecting with her source of all. Perhaps that is her way of thanking her god/godess/source/spirit etc. for her life and abundance.

This deck is not like a RWS so I dont think the meanings will be the same even though there are similarities. The fives dont have to be about grief and sorrow. In this book Mark Ryan goes to say the best advice he got was to read the book, meditate on the cards then through the book away (or something along those lines :)). I take this to mean go with your intuition about what the cards are saying to you.

flipperjane

I think that dancing in the pentacle brings her closer to her creator. I dont see this card as she is wrapped up in her self. I think she is connecting with her source of all. Perhaps that is her way of thanking her god/godess/source/spirit etc. for her life and abundance.

This deck is not like a RWS so I dont think the meanings will be the same even though there are similarities. The fives dont have to be about grief and sorrow. In this book Mark Ryan goes to say the best advice he got was to read the book, meditate on the cards then through the book away (or something along those lines :)). I take this to mean go with your intuition about what the cards are saying to you.

There's just something about this card that I am not getting yet. Interesting because some of the cards are so clear to me - would you like to choose another card now - I think I will need to ponder on this one some more - maybe it will come up in a reading - I find that always helps insight :)

Noni

There's just something about this card that I am not getting yet. Interesting because some of the cards are so clear to me - would you like to choose another card now - I think I will need to ponder on this one some more - maybe it will come up in a reading - I find that always helps insight :)

Hi!
As you know I don't have this deck but just want to narrate that when you know who and I had some tiff and I decided to stop communicating with him and I asked a reader about it, they got this card, Ecstasy and my question of will we get in contact again...well, we did, how its going is another story though lol
Hope this helps in some way :)

Cheers!

flipperjane

Hi!
As you know I don't have this deck but just want to narrate that when you know who and I had some tiff and I decided to stop communicating with him and I asked a reader about it, they got this card, Ecstasy and my question of will we get in contact again...well, we did, how its going is another story though lol
Hope this helps in some way :)

Cheers!

Thanks Noni - all input is great and if a Wildwood card has come up for you in a reading then I am very pleased to hear about it and how it resonated with you. :)

Ziev

There's just something about this card that I am not getting yet. Interesting because some of the cards are so clear to me - would you like to choose another card now - I think I will need to ponder on this one some more - maybe it will come up in a reading - I find that always helps insight

I totally understand. I do feel this way about some cards as well. What do you think about sticking with the 5’s and do the 5 of Bows? Here is the link to it: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=169481

Hi!
Hope this helps in some way

Cheers!

Interesting. Yes it is always good to read about how these cards came up in a reading. Like flipperjane said all input is great!

hopena

What are the sticks that she holds, as she dances? I need to read the book.

I wonder if she's casting a spell... she could be casting away grief, as she dances, even though the card doesn't show grieving, as this one usually does. She could be transforming it. I received this in my daily cards, and I had been hoping to participate in a cleansing for this month, that Silver Ravenwolf does every December, and encourages others to participate, on her blog. I haven't kept up with it, but I was thinking about starting where I could today.

CheapShoes

This deck really appeals to me; however, this is one of the most enigmatic cards in the deck. The position seems all wrong, but I also find I get clearer reads ignoring the titles at the bottom. She has opened herself with great abandonment and vulnerability to appeal to a higher power or more ancient power. The pentagram I don't get and it kind of turns me off, except it works for her and I understand it as a symbol that she has immersed herself in what system and archetypes work for her. Not asking for approval from others and darn the torpedoes. Alone at night with the stars conveys a sense that the mysteries are a lot greater than the smallness of each of us and also I get a sense of being exposed and vulnerability to express our personal beliefs with trust. She is doing this dance alone and secluded in her own space and not in the village square, but also not protected by walls; that stands out to me.