Raziel Tarot

tapestry

Yes, I'm interested in this one, too....beautiful art work and imagery!

FaintlyMacabre

What was a surprise is that where it seems a little disappointing to me is in some of the art - like the faces of the women. I was, "Yay! Robert Place!" And some of the cards are beautiful but I'm not so keen on some of the others. The women all look like they ate the bitter fruit. (My isp isn't loading things very well.)

Diana

Queen of Disks

The cards look great but they feel like they are missing something. :confused:

FaintlyMacabre

Did Rachel draw the card back?

Diana

Nemia

The Moon reminds me of Simeon Salomon's paintings of the moon - I'm sure Robert Place knows the Jewish Pre-Raphaelite.

Another association was Carol Ockman's article about "Two large eyebrows a l'Orientale: ethnic stereotyping in Ingres’ Baronne de Rothschild" - a Jewish topic and such strong eyebrows!!!! :)

It looks interesting and I'm sure there will be a wonderful book about it. It seems to me that this deck is as far removed from "mainstream" Judaism as his Saints deck from "mainstream" Catholicism; it draws on mystical traditions and esoteric teachings.

But not all the cards reach the artistic heights of some of Place's earlier works, IMO. I find the Sun really disturbing. I hope Place won't turn into a caricature of his own style. I usually love his flatness, rigidity and Classicist imperturbability (is there such a word?), but he takes it really very very far here.

He has lost the heavy cross hatch of his earlier style and replaced it color gradients - that's a pity IMO. Crosshatch is a linear device and suits his style that's based on linear art like Hypnerotomachia wood prints. Color gradients in this precise perfection scream: computer! And they counteract the flatness of his work. No, I find that his earlier work was more stringent visually and to me, more pleasing.

Farzon

O wow! It's beautiful as are every decks by Robert Place! I think he already did the Burning Serpent Oracle together worn Rachel Pollack and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm surely going for this deck!

I love how they unite the traditions of Toth and RWS in the cards Lovers, Temperance and Devil.

Alta

I find that his earlier work was more stringent visually and to me, more pleasing.
Once again Nemia you have put beautifully into words what I felt but couldn't express. 'stringent visually', perfect. I have several prints from Sevenfold Mystery (aside he doesn't seem to offer prints anymore) and via Burning Serpent his style has gradually changed.

Terrapin

Thanks Shade for the roundup. These are beautiful.

Farzon

The Moon reminds me of Simeon Salomon's paintings of the moon - I'm sure Robert Place knows the Jewish Pre-Raphaelite.

Another association was Carol Ockman's article about "Two large eyebrows a l'Orientale: ethnic stereotyping in Ingres’ Baronne de Rothschild" - a Jewish topic and such strong eyebrows!!!! :)

It looks interesting and I'm sure there will be a wonderful book about it. It seems to me that this deck is as far removed from "mainstream" Judaism as his Saints deck from "mainstream" Catholicism; it draws on mystical traditions and esoteric teachings.

But not all the cards reach the artistic heights of some of Place's earlier works, IMO. I find the Sun really disturbing. I hope Place won't turn into a caricature of his own style. I usually love his flatness, rigidity and Classicist imperturbability (is there such a word?), but he takes it really very very far here.

He has lost the heavy cross hatch of his earlier style and replaced it color gradients - that's a pity IMO. Crosshatch is a linear device and suits his style that's based on linear art like Hypnerotomachia wood prints. Color gradients in this precise perfection scream: computer! And they counteract the flatness of his work. No, I find that his earlier work was more stringent visually and to me, more pleasing.
I agree, the cards were better off without the color gradients. But looking at his work I think he really sons for a style that is only outlines and colors. When I looked at the cards this morning I was very pleased. Nevertheless I liked the Hermit cards from the Sevenfold Mystery and the Alchemical better. (One of the most important cards to me)

Some of the 3D-Effects seem pretty off. Still love most of the cards though... especially Judgement. It's a beautifully different take in the card's meaning, yet still so in line with the Christian undercurrent of the traditional card.