Publishing Tips

AmounrA

Hello Retrocat, I have just read your post concernining U.S games, and can understand where you are coming from concerning digital art and 'real' art. I myself find parting with digital images no problem, but my originals 'realworld' works never leave my side.

I can therefore completely understand how a deal with us games is an easy decision.

Marie, I think you deck is wonderful, and any publisher you choose would accept it no problem.

trooper

publishing decks

If you're working on a deck and you would like to get it published some day, do yourself a good turn and contact a publisher to get their guidelines for artists before you start working. (I know that U.S. Games Systems has them.) This will stop you from making art that won't work. For example, artwork that is of different sizes and proportions could be an obstacle. Artwork that is scannable is a big plus. Most publishers set their own titles, so you don't necessarily have to write in the titles yourself, but be sure to leave space for them in your design.
Tarot cards are just as much art as concept, and publishers are looking for beautiful stuff. So when you send in your proposal, give it your best shot (just as you expect your publisher to give you their best shot) and send high quality color copies (NEVER send original art). Make your copies look as beautiful and professional as possible. Don't have your proposal bound; do put your name and the title of your deck on every page in case they get separated.
If you've written a book that goes with the deck, all the better, send a sample chapter or two with your card samples. Again, make it neat and professional. And for heaven's sake--use spell check!
And last but not least, in your cover letter, don't boast exceedingly, but don't be self-disparaging. You don't have to be a famous artist or tarot person to get your deck in print. Show confidence in your "product."