Purple Thoth the best or other colours of Thoth?

MizGrace

I would like to understand the comparisons between different sets of Thoth decks. what makes one more important then the other. I have a purple with 3 magicians in. I thought I had a blue set but its not. what the stock is like, size of cards, if there are any major differences between the decks and colours of the boxes.

I am new to Thoth had them a longtime as a gift yet I am drawn to the other style people looking like people and lots of scenery. I am starting to delve into this now its a new journey.tyvm

MizGrace

thank you saved link :))
the white has blue edges and darker colours. Green is brighter and pale.almost grey tones
purple seems to have blue in it and purple undertones.
swiss dark blue is almost animie in the colours on the swords purple.lots of shading on the wings. "Large Swiss Blue Box B.
pocket swiss looks like the green paler shades.

overall in pictures there large blue swiss, purple and "White Box A" . reminds me of the edges of my olympus oracle must be similar/same printing company? edges are same.

I like better deeper colours. yet might be my monitor?

glad I have purple as the green is very pale

Barleywine

I haven't been to this site in a while, so I took another look. It seems that their observation about it not being complete is accurate. I have two large "White Box B" editions from 1969, but the box for my standard size deck from 1983 (the first with the 3 Magus cards, and a statement from U.S. Games that the colors are truer to the original paintings) isn't there. The box became so dilapidated that I threw it away, but it was white and I think it had the Universe card on it. In the LWB by James Wasserman, it credits U.S. Games, Samuel Weiser and A.G. Muller for the production.

Laura Borealis

I've heard the A.G. Muller editions praised a lot. I haven't seen them in person myself.

I used to have a US Games purple box. I traded it away, not because there was anything wrong with it, but I already had a greenie (white box C in Tarot Garden's database) and I thought I only needed one Thoth. Before it moved on, I took a couple of comparison pictures.

I should say, the greenies varied a LOT from what I've heard, and honestly the other editions may too.

Attachments

• greenie vs USG purple 1.JPG
    greenie vs USG purple 1.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 699
  • greenie vs USG purple 2.JPG
    greenie vs USG purple 2.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 764

Snaut

I have the "Pocket Swiss Blue Box" and am very happy with it. It is not that big, so you can travel with it or put it into your pocket. The LWB unfortunately is bullshit. Not because it is wrong, but because it is very difficult to understand, especially for the noob that I was when I bought it. Oh, and it is cheaper than the big Thoth.

I do not have a comparison with the big one, but I think I will buy one sometime in the future, since one can better see the details. It is also possible that I will be very astonished when I will notice what I have missed all the time. Perhaps the universe card will finally make sense.

Laura Borealis

I took another comparison picture, with my new Königsfurt-Urania Thoth alongside the white box greenie. Included the backs because I like how Königsfurt put a gold border around the back edge, as opposed to the white of the USG decks. It's not a big deal but aesthetically it's a nice touch. The white box decks of course have the image all the way to the edge on the back.

The Königsfurt-Urania is really beautiful, in my opinion. The images are a bit more delicate, sometimes paler, not as saturated as the USG decks. You can really get the sense of the original watercolors. Some of them are a little dark and dim though. I showed the 2 of Cups which, in comparison with my greenie, is a little dull. But the Queen of Disks shows off that delicate lightness which most of the deck has.

I got the Königsfurt-Urania from Book Depository via Amazon in the US.

Attachments

• Thoth Comparision German vs Greenie.jpg
    Thoth Comparision German vs Greenie.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 935

MizGrace

thank you all for clearing up much of my confusion over decks, I have my eyes open to thoth now.I dont much like the white border, bronze german looks nice and I like the no border look too. will add to wishlist german and add other link too.tyvm for putting pics up. I like light and dark and its nice there are many versions.I now see why thoth is interesting
enjoy the weekend.cant thank you all enough for the pics and links, I have a lot to read now.