Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

The outfit of Mr. 2 of Pentacles

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Rider-Waite-Smith


 
Sandalwood  Sandalwood is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Aug 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,782
Sandalwood 
Citizen
The outfit of Mr. 2 of Pentacles


I wonder what's up with that.

He is wearing a funny, condom like hat. And his clothes are tied together in a mismatching fashion.

The red is a faded red. Even though red refers to the base chakra and thus practicalities, survival and things like a home, money, etc. (which suits the pentacles), it's obviously not reached its full colour yet.

The shoes are green and I wonder what is meant by them here. Green is a colour of growth and relates in a sense to the earth element. Chakra wise it refers to the heart chakra, more emotionally based and not so much on practicalities the root chakra would focus on, So perhaps he is still being stirred a bit by the former suit (cups).

A hat refers for a connection to the higher (self/universe). But altough it's a tall hat, which may depict streching to reach a certain level of understanding, it's too silly to be taken seriously here. So perhaps als relating to not being able to understand the pentacle energy yet? So that may be why the clothes are funny as well. He is trying on this new 'suit' and trying to embody what it means, but he is still working with the energy and may feel like 'a clown' at times.

What do you think of his clothes and/or know of it?
Top   #1
Zephyros's Avatar
Zephyros  Zephyros is offline
Jedi
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 8,179
Zephyros 
Jedi

Zephyros's Avatar

Good question but there's no easy answer. Firstly, relating chakras to the colors of the RWS may be interesting and useful, but it was almost certainly not made with those keys in mind, so relating it to them is really a personal hit and miss.

Secondly, even if we go by the "rules" the RWS was supposedly made with, it doesn't even follow those. However, we can still make a few guesses. I remember a thread somewhere dealing with this. The original Golden Dawn title for the card is Lord of Harmonious Change, and it constitutes the first step toward materialization of reality. The force driving this process seems to be Mars, symbolized by his red hat, which is not coincidentally shaped like a phallus. If it is, as you say, a faded red (which Isn't the result of time and printing discrepancies) it could be russet, one of the traditional colors symbolizing Earth.

Green is the color of Venus, again reinforcing the growing and manifesting that this card is pushing. The band is green, perhaps intimating love is the driving force, and the basis for everything, as symbolized by his shoes.

However, like I said, it is all conjecture, because the RWS does not follow traditional Golden Dawn color scales and in many instances the choices seem quite random.
Top   #2
Sandalwood  Sandalwood is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Aug 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,782
Sandalwood 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by closrapexa View Post
Good question but there's no easy answer. Firstly, relating chakras to the colors of the RWS may be interesting and useful, but it was almost certainly not made with those keys in mind, so relating it to them is really a personal hit and miss.

Secondly, even if we go by the "rules" the RWS was supposedly made with, it doesn't even follow those. However, we can still make a few guesses. I remember a thread somewhere dealing with this. The original Golden Dawn title for the card is Lord of Harmonious Change, and it constitutes the first step toward materialization of reality. The force driving this process seems to be Mars, symbolized by his red hat, which is not coincidentally shaped like a phallus. If it is, as you say, a faded red (which Isn't the result of time and printing discrepancies) it could be russet, one of the traditional colors symbolizing Earth.

Green is the color of Venus, again reinforcing the growing and manifesting that this card is pushing. The band is green, perhaps intimating love is the driving force, and the basis for everything, as symbolized by his shoes.

However, like I said, it is all conjecture, because the RWS does not follow traditional Golden Dawn color scales and in many instances the choices seem quite random.
Hi!

Thank you! That is interesting, the first step of materialization of reality, would match the fading colours of the costume in my opinion.

I like what you wrote here: "The band is green, perhaps intimating love is the driving force, and the basis for everything, as symbolized by his shoes."

I must say I'm not that aware of what system Waite did use? I'm positive I recognise a lot of the secret orders in the cards and wasn't he part of the Golden Dawn as well (or was it Freemason? - need to read up on this again) Or so I seem to rembember. From what I know there would have been worked with the chakra colours as well, even if it was firstly tied to the elements.

Mars as the driving force and showing up as a phallus is interesting, yes, that matches that energy of course. I can't find that this card is linked to Mars though?

In one of my books it said it's linked to Jupiter (expansion) in Capricorn (earth - succes - power - sustainability ). And from the Qabalistic view it its about balancing the mind with the practical actions (earth), which would fit the hat. The hat is on the area of thoughts and often represents the mind. Maybe he thinks with his err..phallus, lol. So typical!
Top   #3
Richard's Avatar
Richard  Richard is offline
Le Mat
 
Join Date: 21 Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6,587
Richard 
Le Mat

Richard's Avatar

Waite was a Freemason and a member of the first temple of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, the Isis-Urania, of which he became head after the fragmentation of the Golden Dawn. He later changed the name to the Fellowship of the Rosy Cross.

The Two of Pentacles is associated with Sephirah 2 of the Tree of Life, which represents the Yod of the Tetragrammaton (the four letter name of God, Yod-Heh-Vav-He, Jehovah), whose element is Fire. However, this is not necessarily the reason for the color red.

The figure in the image looks like a sort of clown, a juggler. High crowned hats (such as chef's hats) would be favored by those engaged in activities which tend to induce perspiration.

I am skeptical of any consistent use of color symbolism in the Waite decks. For one thing, there have been too many variables involved in the determination of the colors. All the Waite decks we now have are mere "clones" of the original deck, the original plates having been destroyed in the London blitz.
Top   #4
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 
ravenator

ravenest's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalwood View Post
I wonder what's up with that.

He is wearing a funny, condom like hat. And his clothes are tied together in a mismatching fashion.

The red is a faded red. Even though red refers to the base chakra and thus practicalities, survival and things like a home, money, etc. (which suits the pentacles), it's obviously not reached its full colour yet.

The shoes are green and I wonder what is meant by them here. Green is a colour of growth and relates in a sense to the earth element. Chakra wise it refers to the heart chakra, more emotionally based and not so much on practicalities the root chakra would focus on, So perhaps he is still being stirred a bit by the former suit (cups).

A hat refers for a connection to the higher (self/universe). But altough it's a tall hat, which may depict streching to reach a certain level of understanding, it's too silly to be taken seriously here. So perhaps als relating to not being able to understand the pentacle energy yet? So that may be why the clothes are funny as well. He is trying on this new 'suit' and trying to embody what it means, but he is still working with the energy and may feel like 'a clown' at times.

What do you think of his clothes and/or know of it?
2 discs - change - its always in motion - juggler - the 'lesser fool' . Besides ... the base chakra is black (source; Waite's Big Book of Chakra Colours)
Top   #5
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 
ravenator

ravenest's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalwood View Post
I'm positive I recognise a lot of the secret orders in the cards
How do you do that ?
Top   #6
Sandalwood  Sandalwood is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Aug 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,782
Sandalwood 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRichard View Post
Waite was a Freemason and a member of the first temple of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, the Isis-Urania, of which he became head after the fragmentation of the Golden Dawn. He later changed the name to the Fellowship of the Rosy Cross.

The Two of Pentacles is associated with Sephirah 2 of the Tree of Life, which represents the Yod of the Tetragrammaton (the four letter name of God, Yod-Heh-Vav-He, Jehovah), whose element is Fire. However, this is not necessarily the reason for the color red.

The figure in the image looks like a sort of clown, a juggler. High crowned hats (such as chef's hats) would be favored by those engaged in activities which tend to induce perspiration.

I am skeptical of any consistent use of color symbolism in the Waite decks. For one thing, there have been too many variables involved in the determination of the colors. All the Waite decks we now have are mere "clones" of the original deck, the original plates having been destroyed in the London blitz.
Thank you for that information
But wasn't the tree of life applied to the cards later by others? And if I remember correct it is very unsure if that correspondence was actually intended by Waite? But the Thoth deck is based on this principle.

Thanks for that information on colour. But would it still fit in that colour range? (And not end up blue for example?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenest View Post
2 discs - change - its always in motion - juggler - the 'lesser fool' . Besides ... the base chakra is black (source; Waite's Big Book of Chakra Colours)
I thought I was the only one with that book!
The lesser fool, yes. Can see that. Black for the earth & red for the fire (like in the knight of pentacles, page 122).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenest View Post
How do you do that ?
And do what? You mean since it's secret?

And I'm so sorry to bring up hats, lol. Hope it's not too agonising
Top   #7
Richard's Avatar
Richard  Richard is offline
Le Mat
 
Join Date: 21 Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6,587
Richard 
Le Mat

Richard's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalwood View Post
Thank you for that information
But wasn't the tree of life applied to the cards later by others? And if I remember correct it is very unsure if that correspondence was actually intended by Waite? But the Thoth deck is based on this principle.......
Waite correctly believed that Tarot was not 'historically' based on Qabalah, but there is ample evidence (beyond mere coincidence) that his deck was in conformity with the Qabalah based Golden Dawn Tarot structure. However, I do not believe that the red of the Two of Pentacles derives from Sephirah 2, so the correspondence does not matter.
Top   #8
Zephyros's Avatar
Zephyros  Zephyros is offline
Jedi
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 8,179
Zephyros 
Jedi

Zephyros's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalwood View Post

Mars as the driving force and showing up as a phallus is interesting, yes, that matches that energy of course. I can't find that this card is linked to Mars though?
Like I said, it's all conjecture, and I tried to interpret it as I see it. Did my best, although I did say I agreed with LRichard about the validity of the colors. Not only was the RWS not colored according to the appropriate color scales, but we wouldn't be able to see them now even if they were (unless it would be on a Pam A?). The RWS is, as Waite's rival once said about the medieval decks, "hopelessly corrupt." Anyway, the connection to Mars comes from red and the phallus, just a guess on my part.

On the other hand, the colors that should be there, those for Jupiter and Capricorn, aren't there. So who knows?
Top   #9
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 
ravenator

ravenest's Avatar

The planet Mars has a reddish colour

Thats the association I usually make. Thence, Martial gods relate blood - war, etc.

' ... the red of Mars is physical, violent and gross. " - 777
Top   #10


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.