Pocket Thoth printing defect?

Zephyros

Which SIZE pocket are we talking here ? I have three sizes of Thoths. Maybe I looked at the wrong one.....

I think it's the "standard" (if there is such a thing?). Mine says 1996 and was purchased around 2003, and it has the flaw. I guess you could say it has "normal" (for Tarot) sized cards. Bigger than playing cards.

gregory

I think it's the "standard" (if there is such a thing?). Mine says 1996 and was purchased around 2003, and it has the flaw. I guess you could say it has "normal" (for Tarot) sized cards. Bigger than playing cards.
The ISBN given links to this one that USG calls pocket; and they say the cards are 2-1/4" x 3-1/2". That's very small for playing cards.

We also have what they call small with cards 2-7/8" x 4-3/8" (sort of regular tarot sized ?) - and the Premier edition they list is the same sized cards in a bigger box, and then there's large, at 3-3/4" x 5-1/2". As that was the size OTO first put out, I prefer to think of that size as the standard for this deck, but that's just me being cranky :D

Zephyros

Huh, wonders never cease. Mine measures 7cm by 11cm, if that's any help. And I remember it being A.G. Muller. But it looks nothing like what agviz posted. What I thought was a printing error is more of a prominent shadow on the hilt of the bottom sword, and the top two hilts. But nothing like all those hilts on the bottom. I guess mine doesn't have it, I just assumed...

gregory

Huh, wonders never cease. Mine measures 7cm by 11cm, if that's any help. But it looks nothing like what agviz posted. What I thought was a printing error is more of a prominent shadow on the hilt of the bottom sword, and the top two hilts. But nothing like all those hilts on the bottom. I guess mine doesn't have it, I just assumed...
That's the USG "small" size, not pocket, then.

I want a TRUE mini, me - just as an aside... :D A teeny weeny one the size of LoS minis.

4.4x8 cm - sort of 1.5" x 3". GIMME !

dop2989

Amazon Thoth Review

I just received the Pocket Thoth (blue box, Belgium, ISBN-13: 978-1-57281-294-9, ISBN-10: 1-57281-294-X). It looks great except the 8 of Swords has what seems to be some very slight black markings on the lower part of the image (which aren't on my larger Thoth). Does anyone else have this with theirs?

If this is a common misprint, I'll just hang onto it. Otherwise I'll exchange it.

I was considering the pocket deck, however when I read the Amazon reviews there were too many complaints. Most were about the new publisher.

Aeon418

I was considering the pocket deck, however when I read the Amazon reviews there were too many complaints. Most were about the new publisher.
Too many complaints? Really?

Using the quoted ISBN I took a quick look on Amazon.com. There are 56 reviews in total. The two 1 Star reviews both complain about the printing. The single 2 Star reviewer complains about the small size of the deck! :confused: Of the two 3 Star reviews, one complains about a printing defect and the other seems to be unaware that the two extra Magi are not actually part of the deck. Three out of the six 4 Star reviewers mentioned the small size. And the forty-five 5 Star reviewers seem like happy punters to me.

Owl Tarot

Too many complaints? Really?

Using the quoted ISBN I took a quick look on Amazon.com. There are 56 reviews in total. The two 1 Star reviews both complain about the printing. The single 2 Star reviewer complains about the small size of the deck! :confused: Of the two 3 Star reviews, one complains about a printing defect and the other seems to be unaware that the two extra Magi are not actually part of the deck. Three out of the six 4 Star reviewers mentioned the small size. And the fourty-five 5 Star reviewers seem like happy punters to me.

I am happy with my pocket deck, I did notice that printing error but still, it is so handy! It allows me to have my deck with me and carry it in almost everything unlike my big version!

Question: Why does someone complain about the small size of a pocket sized deck? :confused: I mean, couldn't he/she simply buy the normal or the bigger sized cards in the first place?

agviz

Despite the one aforementioned flaw, I think it's a very nice printing. Don't let it "interfere" with your choice to get the deck. ;)

Aeon418

I am happy with my pocket deck, I did notice that printing error but still, it is so handy!
I've got two copies of the smallest size Thoth. Both are in different boxes compared to the one currently advertised on Amazon. But both have the same printing flaw on the 8 of Swords. It's no big deal on such a small deck.
Question: Why does someone complain about the small size of a pocket sized deck? :confused: I mean, couldn't he/she simply buy the normal or the bigger sized cards in the first place?
I have no idea. :confused: The product dimensions are listed on the page. Maybe some people are unaware of how large the borders are and the impact that this has on the actual card images. Although I suspect some people merely see the lower price tag. You get what you pay for.

Amanda

Mine has the defect too, but I don't know which deck I have exactly. It was gifted to me by another member here, and I believe he mentioned that he got this Thoth in a set with a pocket RWS (which he also gifted me) so there must have been an outer box they both came in together. There seems to be no identifying ISBN or printing number inside the LWB. The box has the Chariot on the front, Aeon on the back, the Fool on one side and Art on the other side. So whatever pocket Thoth that is :D also has the defect.