Is it a good ToM version?

Katniss

hi!
i'd like to buy a ToM deck (i've none) + would really appreciate the opinion of the ToM's "experts" ;-) i searched amazon.com as i can't buy abroad (i've a small budget to work with) + found one with a reasonable price but i wonder if it's a good version.
i read online that it's a repro of the Burdel version but some say it's a rather liberal one... is that true? in other blogs i even read that the Burdel version is phony to start with... as a novice i'm rather confused! there's 1 i really like cuz i saw the entire deck on AT and the lines are neat, it's very well made... but it comes from france so i'ts expensive on amazon.com :-( it's the Kris Hadar "veritable tarot of marseille"

so here's the info 4 the 1 i saw on amazon.com:

Tarots of Marseille (Lo Scarabeo Decks) Cards – September 8, 2000

is it well done, and is it true to the tradition? are the symbols, colors, the way they should? (i'm fixing to learn the ToM)

Lo Scarabeo has visibly put out another of the same kind but with a colored background "the universal tarot of Marseile" a tad cheaper... from what i found out online the ToM usually comes with a white background so i wonder if that colored background would be a problem.

which of the 2 would be more suitable?
thx 4 your help!

Richard

The Hadar is a Canadian deck. You shouldn't have to order it from France.

Tarobear's Lair has the in/famous Grimaud Tarot de Marseille, which has been in print since 1930. This would be my choice for a reasonably priced standard deck available in the US. It is one of my favorites.

Abrac

If you just want a Marseille to start learning with, and you're on a budget, I'd get the cheapest one you can find - new, used, or otherwise. Any of them are going to conform to a basic, or "traditional" Marseille pattern. You can start learning the basics right away. Within the basic Marseille pattern there are a tremendous number of variations among different decks; after you've educated yourself a bit more, you'll have an easier time deciding which ones are right for you. :)

Katniss

thx everyone for your help & advices, you've opened doors :)
the tarobear's lair is a great site!

Chrystella

If you just want a Marseille to start learning with, and you're on a budget, I'd get the cheapest one you can find - new, used, or otherwise. Any of them are going to conform to a basic, or "traditional" Marseille pattern. You can start learning the basics right away. Within the basic Marseille pattern there are a tremendous number of variations among different decks; after you've educated yourself a bit more, you'll have an easier time deciding which ones are right for you. :)

I agree with Abrac. I think the easiest to find and most affordable options are the Grimaud, Lo Scarabeo, and maybe even the Fournier. Also, I've heard that the LWB that comes with the Lo Scarabeo deck is very good.

3ill.yazi

If you can find the Universal deck in the box set with Lee Bursten's little book (not in print, but seen occasionally) grab it. That book is gold.

That said, of the decks mentioned, my preference is the Grimaud.

Katniss

I agree with Abrac. I think the easiest to find and most affordable options are the Grimaud, Lo Scarabeo, and maybe even the Fournier. Also, I've heard that the LWB that comes with the Lo Scarabeo deck is very good.

thx for sharing your opinion. i also read on amazon reviews that the LWB with the Universal ToM was very good, but i find the drawing rather rough. i've few kindle books on the ToM to help me so that should do it. i've been looking up the decks that were mentioned + i really like the style of the Grimaud. so far the one that attracts me the most is the Fournier which follows that style of the Grimaud so that's a + along with that it's very much within my range on the Tarobear's lair site :)
didn't place my order just yet, i want to sleep on it but it might very much be the one 4 me.
i'll update once i've made my final decision!

Katniss

If you can find the Universal deck in the box set with Lee Bursten's little book (not in print, but seen occasionally) grab it. That book is gold.

That said, of the decks mentioned, my preference is the Grimaud.

thx for sharing your opinions. i also read on amazon reviews that the LWB with the Universal ToM was very good, but i find the drawing rather rough. i've few kindle books on the ToM to help me so that should do it. i've been looking up the decks that were mentioned + i really like the style of the Grimaud. so far the one that attracts me the most is the Fournier which follows that style of the Grimaud so that's a + along with that it's very much within my range on the Tarobear's lair site :)
didn't place my order just yet, i want to sleep on it but it might very much be the one 4 me.
i'll update once i've made my final decision!

Chrystella

Katniss, if you don't love the rougher lines, let me throw another contender into the ring: the ISIS TdM. I don't have this one myself and I have no idea how much it costs, but a lot of people praise it for its aesthetics.