Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

My Next "Purposed" TdM

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks


 
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar
My Next "Purposed" TdM


I'm closing in on the TdM deck I want next. I have a particular purpose in mind: I've developed a couple of spreads that require two decks to ensure that competing paths or "trains" in the question have equal access to all of the possibilites shown in the cards. I presently have the Fournier, but nothing to use in tandem with it except my wife's old Classic and its "fuschia" patches. This is what it's come down to:

In terms of sympathetic coloring, the Universal comes closest, and hopefully it still comes with Lee's book from Lo Scarabeo. It's also the least expensive of those I'm interested in.

The CBD is wonderfully crisp and clear, with stong coloring.

The ISIS definitely has "presence."

The Hadar has very nicely muted coloring, but it isn't clear from Amazon's site whether they're just selling a book in French or the actual deck.

The Grimaud is also a contender, but its availability may be drying up.

The accurate "historical restoration" decks aren't really what I want for this purpose, and I don't want square corners since I don't trust myself to round them, even with the right tool.

Also, much as I like the Marseille Cats, I want something a little closer to traditional. Similarly, I don't want to deal with Jodorowsky's "innovations."

Among my top five choices, I have no feel for comparative quality in terms of cardstock and overall production values. I assume if I'm paying in the range of $50 USD that these would be excellent. I did see one comment on Amazon that said the Universal's cardstock is on the thin side. From what I've seen in other threads, I don't suppose I could go wrong with either the CBD or the ISIS.

Any insights comparing just these five would be appreciated, unless anyone knows of a deck I haven't seen that would suit my purpose.
Top   #1
Philippe's Avatar
Philippe  Philippe is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Jun 2013
Location: *
Posts: 478
Philippe 
Citizen

Philippe's Avatar

May I suggest the Piatnik ?

Of course not the best engraver but very readable because of its uncluttered style, the creamy white is delightful to the eyes, the corners are rounded and the cardstock is imo the best of all the decks I have seen until now
Top   #2
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
May I suggest the Piatnik ?

Of course not the best engraver but very readable because of its uncluttered style, the creamy white is delightful to the eyes, the corners are rounded and the cardstock is imo the best of all the decks I have seen until now
Thank you for the suggestion. I do like the calm feel of it. But I held my Fournier cards up to the screen scans and it looks like they would "bully" the Piatnik if used in tandem.
Top   #3
Philippe's Avatar
Philippe  Philippe is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Jun 2013
Location: *
Posts: 478
Philippe 
Citizen

Philippe's Avatar

So the Spanish Fournier : exactly the same size and same cardstock as the Fournier :

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/spanish/
Top   #4
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
So the Spanish Fournier : exactly the same size and same cardstock as the Fournier :

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/spanish/
Perfect! I was looking at that one a couple of days ago for a different thread but for some reason didn't remember it as a "TdM." Probably because it doesn't say so in the title: it was called the "Spanish Tarot."
Top   #5
jema's Avatar
jema  jema is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 05 Aug 2001
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,046
jema 
Citizen

jema's Avatar

The Hadar on the canadian amazon is the deck, I know cause I once bought it from them:-D

My fave TdMs are either the Robledo ones or the Flornoys, but I am also very much wanting the CBD.

So I suggest the CBD, not expensive, clear and expressive, fellow AT:er...
Top   #6
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jema View Post
The Hadar on the canadian amazon is the deck, I know cause I once bought it from them:-D

My fave TdMs are either the Robledo ones or the Flornoys, but I am also very much wanting the CBD.

So I suggest the CBD, not expensive, clear and expressive, fellow AT:er...
Turns out the Spanish Tarot is more than I want to pay. The CBD is priced right around what I consider reasonable for a "premium" deck by US standards. I did find it state-side as a book-and-deck set for just a little more but I already have the book. Right now I'm thinking I'll buy the Universal for pairing with the Fournier (and hopefully to get Lee's book) and the CBD just because.
Top   #7
Rose Lalonde  Rose Lalonde is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 May 2014
Location: Land of Light and Rain
Posts: 1,096
Rose Lalonde 
Citizen

I don't know if this detail is a plus or a minus for your purposes, or if it's even important, but the CBD faces are altered to look a little more friendly. As he says on the site, "I made especially significant changes in the face expressions, since an exact copy would have made them too gloomy and depressive to a present-day reader. Still, I tried to preserve the general physical traits."
Top   #8
kalliope's Avatar
kalliope  kalliope is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 09 May 2005
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 1,343
kalliope 
Citizen

kalliope's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
Turns out the Spanish Tarot is more than I want to pay. The CBD is priced right around what I consider reasonable for a "premium" deck by US standards. I did find it state-side as a book-and-deck set for just a little more but I already have the book. Right now I'm thinking I'll buy the Universal for pairing with the Fournier (and hopefully to get Lee's book) and the CBD just because.
If I were you, I'd put up a saved search on Ebay for the Spanish Tarot, it's a really quirky and appealing deck, and would be a great match for the Fournier you already have.
Top   #9
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Lalonde View Post
I don't know if this detail is a plus or a minus for your purposes, or if it's even important, but the CBD faces are altered to look a little more friendly. As he says on the site, "I made especially significant changes in the face expressions, since an exact copy would have made them too gloomy and depressive to a present-day reader. Still, I tried to preserve the general physical traits."
I was aware of this. I don't feel strongly either way about it. The overall feel of the deck is most important.
Top   #10


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.