How do you use Reversals Please?

jayem

when i first starting learning, i used reversals (i was still at the stage where i thought you were 'supposed' to do things in tarot), but i rarely use them anymore. the only deck i use reversals in is the da vinci, and only with the majors. at the end of a reading, i take every major out and put them face down in a pile and just, mess them up and then shuffle them back into the deck. really, i only use reversals with this deck because id like to broaden my learning. i believe the cards say enough of everything right side up, and theres really no need for reversals. it doesnt seem to effect my readings any differently, and any reviews ive gotten have all said im very accurate. i depend more on feelings and images i get from the cards instead of the conventional meanings, so i guess reversals have no need in my decks.

SunChariot

First, there are many ways to use reversals. You have to choose the one that you prefer. They do not always make the cards negative. One method that can is when you take the reversed meanings to mean the opposite of the upright meanings. But there are many other methods as well. You don't have to choose to use that one.

Another method I have heard of is that the reversed card has the same meaning as the upright card EXCEPT that when it is reversed it refers to an inner process (i.e. you are the one creating the energy of the card from inside yourself) and when upright to an outer one (i.e the energy talked about in the card comes from the outside world, not from within yourself. For example, if you ask a question What you need to do to get a raise and the card is the Empress, upright could mean you need to be kind and considerate of the other employees around including the boss, be nurturing of them, anticipate their needs and try to fulfill them. The Empress reversed could mean that you need to take better care of yourself now, take time to look after yourself, nurture yourself. Likely this would indicate that you have been working/trying to hard lately and exhausting yourself. When we are exhausted our work suffers. And we are most likely to get a raise when our work is at our best...

One last method I will mention, the one I personally use, to use reversals to indicate delays and blockages. Reversals for me have the exact same meaning as the upright card, with the additional meaning that something is in the way. Meaning that the exact same energy is there as in the upright card. It is trying to exert itself, but there is something in the way and blocking it from doing so. A reversaed card usually indicates a need for patience. It says the even will occur, but there will be a waiting period until it does. When I get a reversed card, my next step is often to try to understand what is in the way and to remove it.

And for shuffling for reversals, I don't usually cut the deck in half. I choose the section I want to reverse by how large I fee inside it has to be that day, but it is usually only about 1/3 to 1/4 of the deck.

Bar