A ribbon around a bomb.

wooden-eye

The Blue House Tarot.- A ribbon around a bomb.

Dropping a bomb and retreating to a safe distance.
Here it comes.......
I am making a Frida Kahlo Tarot.
......too late to turn back.
Planned for a year, the sketches near complete.
Nerve-wracking, and exhilarating- A heady mix.

Alta

Now that sounds intriguing, looking forward to seeing your takes. Does it feature her personally or is it in the style of her art?

wooden-eye

Her life, art style, her use of symbolism, personal and universal. Her color pallet and materials.
Of course interpreted via my own methods and habits.
There is a framework of a RWS deck, the narrative is her life and work.
I know flexibly the content for each card and almost all are roughly illustrated.
It is good to work this way as it allows for contemplation upon an image before it is locked down and more holistically, to get a overview of the whole deck. This is a giant project, and I am seeking all kinds of balance and consistency throughout.
Right now I am set on painting them all in oils, but am also toying with an alternative approach.
.....and yes there will be many Fridas and Diegos.
When I decide whether the sketches are presentable I will post a few.

Alta

I am looking forward to it, as I already like your style this will be brilliant!

Babalon Jones

This is gonna be great!!!

JayBee

I was fortunate to be in Mexico City back in 1980 when a modest art gallery had a display of her artwork. I was instantly hooked and visted her home; I had never seen anything quite like this before. Such power and raw emotion. I very much look forward to seeing this deck unfold.

aquestionmark

Wow! This is very exciting :)

wooden-eye

First image. Pencil still smudgy.

So I promised a picture.
Here is the very first outline for the very first painting which just so happens to be the 8 of Pentacles.
Any minute now it will be transposed and buried in paint so I thought I would capture the memory, so I may remember how nervous and trepiatious I feel and how my heart is racing with the prospect of this having really begun.
Significant only for me, but a second tarot is undertaken with eyes wide open and realistic expectations of the time and the kind of rewards one will and will not receive. And yet most of us are drawn to do it again......the very best kind of madness.
So over to Frida.
(Sorry she is poorly cropped)

Attachments

• IMG_20160511_154155.jpg
    IMG_20160511_154155.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 322

reall

So I promised a picture.
Here is the very first outline for the very first painting which just so happens to be the 8 of Pentacles.
Any minute now it will be transposed and buried in paint so I thought I would capture the memory, so I may remember how nervous and trepiatious I feel and how my heart is racing with the prospect of this having really begun.
Significant only for me, but a second tarot is undertaken with eyes wide open and realistic expectations of the time and the kind of rewards one will and will not receive. And yet most of us are drawn to do it again......the very best kind of madness.
So over to Frida.
(Sorry she is poorly cropped)

oh! it looks fantastic!XD loooking forward to see it colored!:)))