DECK OF THE MONTH - AUGUST sign up thread

conurelover

I have been drooling over the Tyldwick Tarot guys....

can't wait to hear about this new deck!

Kathy123

Welcome Everyone!!! August is off to a great start!

Conurelover - Guessing I was wrong with my earlier post :)

Mi-Shell, great to have you back, especially as busy as you are! Looking forward to your posts!

MountainGirl, welcome... I look forward to your posts, that deck looks very interesting! Just follow along as best as you can, and do what you can, there are no "tarot police" here :)

DaisyDragonfly, welcome... one of the participants (Aeric) took over for the month of July and did a GREAT job with the exercises! I will try to follow in his foot steps the best I can :)

Essjay, welcome... hope your deck arrives soon! I am looking forward to the posts for you and DaisyDragonfly, I have never heard of that deck. Nice that you two will be working with the same decks for the exercises!

Kathy123

Beginning Exercise...

as August has a few days before the first Monday (exercises), use this time to familiarize yourself with your deck. Traditionally we have done "new deck interviews" with our decks at the beginning of the month. Over the weekend, try this new deck interview and post your results in the group spreads thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=195268

New Deck Interview Spread
The New Deck Interview spread is a 6-card spread that can be used when you acquire a new deck to learn its personality and how to best work with it. You can lay the cards out in any order that you like. There are several variations, but the positional meanings that I stick to are as follows.

1.Tell me about yourself. What is your most important characteristic?
2.What are your strengths as a deck?
3.What are your limits as a deck?
4.What do you bring to the table? What lessons can you teach me?
5.How can I best learn from and collaborate with you?
6.What is the potential outcome of our working relationship

this new deck interview borrowed from: http://aplacetofall.wordpress.com/tarot-resources/spread-archive/new-deck-interview-spread/

In addition to the New Deck Interview, please comment in this thread, and let us know if you have any "rituals" about opening a new deck, putting a new deck back on the shelf, changing up decks.

Mine is as follows: When I am done using a deck, I reorder the cards and put them back in the box, and then in the (larger) box that stores all my decks. I have a selenite wand in the larger box to help in the cleansing.

When I open a new deck, or take one out from the box that has been reordered and put back, I have this habit of cutting and shuffling the cards seven times (cutting and then fanning the cards together, not sure what this shuffle is called :) )before I hand shuffle three times. Then I cut the cards into three piles, restack and they are ready for me :)

Looking forward to the month :)

merissa_88

I'm looking forward to this month with the Greenwood Tarot. Thanks Kathy123 for setting this up for us!

Mi-Shell

Oh, Greenwood!
That is my all time go to and reading deck.
It is hard to belief, but for years I only had a handmade version.
Then a friend here from AT gifted me a real one. :)

Seeing your post, Merissa, I am having urge to pull it out and work with it....
but..... I am not yet done with the Tarocchi.....

Kathy123

Week one exercises are posted on the main page. Have fun everyone!

DaisyDragonfly

I've posted my new deck interview in the thread we were linked to :)

I don't really have any new deck rituals: I just open the box and look through the cards, then usually do a thorough shuffle and get in with the first reading, even if it's as simple as pulling one card whilst asking the deck to introduce itself to me. From that I get a general feeling of the deck and what it'll be like to read with :D

conurelover

I posted my new deck interview too.

I think I made the Etteilla harder than it is.

After I did the spread I totally forgot that I had a tarot book that helps interpret aspects the Etteilla. I took it back out.

And I am drooling over the Tyldwick description in the group spread thread... :)

Essjay

Okay, after a false alarm I'm fairly sure the Tyldwick is at the PO waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow!

I don't really have a new deck ritual. I simple unpackage and then look at each card in turn. Then I transfer it to a bag. I don't shuffle until the first time I use it and that first shuffle can take a while but really, that's it. It then goes in my cupboard with my other decks (where the incense is stored).