DECK OF THE MONTH - SEPTEMBER sign up thread

Minderwiz

The Tarot and Astrological Correspondences

My theme in this week is the astrological correspondences of the Major Arcana. I don’t intend to provide definitive answers, but I do want to stimulate you into considering whether such correspondences are valid for Tarot (and indeed Astrology).

To start with look at this table drawn from Stuart Kaplan’s The Encyclopaedia of Tarot, Volume 1.

http://www.standishastrology.co.uk/page2.html

Kaplan’s comment on this table is simply that it shows ‘the divergent viewpoints are obvious’, with the implication that it simply comes down to personal opinion and that there’s nothing more worth writing about. Nevertheless despite Kaplan, the attempt to identify clear links is widespread and you will find many threads on Aeclectic to that effect.

All of the writers that Kaplan uses lived between the mid eighteenth century and the early twentieth century. That’s significant in terms of the history of Astrology in the West. From the late seventeenth century till the early twentieth century Astrology was very much out of fashion. In the seventeenth century it was taught in universities and indeed was the underlying rationale behind the practice of medicine (see Nicholas Culpepper’s ‘Astrological Judgement of Diseases from the Decumbiture of the Sick’ or Richard Saunders’ The Astrological Judgement and Practice of Physick’) but the Rationalist revolution in Science and William Harvey’s demonstration of the circulation of the blood, ended Astrology as a serious academic discipline.

By the mid eighteenth century only occultists made any use of Astrology and then their learning was impeded by the lack of practising astrologers. This situation held until the early twentieth century when gradually the revival led by Alan Leo took place but even then only grudgingly. It still is a very long way from the acceptance that it had in the mid seventeenth century. So the list of authors is a list of people whose astrological knowledge was probably rudimentary and who certainly had an obsession with it’s supposed Egyptian roots (Horoscopic Astrology – using charts set for a time and place – did arise in Alexandria around the beginning of the first millenium but by then it was a Greek colony and the Astrologers spoke and wrote in Greek).

There was clearly a problem with associating 22 Major Arcana cards with planets and signs, or at least there was in the period Kaplan uses. Astrologers used the seven visible planets and twelve signs, which gives only 19 possible correspondences, even if you believe that the signs and planets are totally independent. So at least three cards have to have no correspondence or correspondences have to be based, on combinations of planets and signs or have to be used more than once.

This does not invalidate the use of correspondences but it does demand that you think of which cards do not have a correspondence. Crowley attempts to get round this problem by introducing the use of the four elements, Fire, Earth, Air and Water. Again though this begs the question as to whether the elements are independent of planets and signs.

Astrology assigns the elements to four groups of three planets – the Triplicities. Thus ‘Air’ is the group of Gemini, Libra, Aquarius – all three are equally airy, there difference is based on a second characteristic of signs, their relationship to the equinoxes or solstices. Aries marks the March equinox, Cancer the June solstice, Libra the September equinox and Capricorn the December solstice.

Also absent from the suggested correspondences is any reference to astrological houses, the key concept in interpreting an astrological chart, nor is the Part of Fortune used in these correspondences.

To conclude this opening post I’m going to set you an exercise that will run through the week. You will need your chosen deck plus some descriptors of the planets and signs. Choose up to 5 Major Arcana cards. Check with the notes that came with your deck as to whether the designer has allocated astrological correspondences.

Exercise

Using your chosen cards the notes of the deck, Kaplan’s table and the resources post, see if you feel that there is a correspondence between planets or signs and the cards. I would advise you to use only the seven visible planets at this stage, unless the designer has specifically included reference to the outer planets or other objects. What matters is whether you can see a link and that you find it helpful in interpreting the card. There’s no right or wrong answer and feel free to disagree with the deck designer if you want. Try doing one card per day

I’d love to hear any conclusions that you reach and of course any queries or questions I’ll try to answer. The following posts gives links to some resources and provide some background but also feel free to ask any questions or raise any issues that you have. Remember there are no right answers, only helpful answers.

Minderwiz

Resources

One of the best sources for astrological information is

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/

The Links to the planets are on the lower left hand side and the links to the Signs are top centre. There are also links to the twelve houses.

Also very good is:

http://www.astro.com/

This too will give you a rundown of planets and signs (and houses) but from a more ‘modern’ perspective. Look at ‘Everything about Astrology’ on the info panel (dark blue panel just below the banner on the left. There’s information about planets and signs and indeed much much more. You can even do your own chart :)

Most modern descriptions are psychologically based but traditional astrological descriptions will also link planets and signs to human diseases and parts of the body, animals, stones and minerals,. For an example you could take a look at Deborah Houlding’s digitised version of William Lilly’s 1647 work, Christian Astrology.

The relevant pdf files can be downloaded here (free):

http://skyscript.co.uk/CA.html

Parts III, IV and V contain the relevant information.

Lilly’s style is a little archaic but there are annotations. Only bother with the material on the planets and the signs and, in particular, with the planets, just read the sections on ‘Nature’ downwards. These will be especially useful if you’re interested in herbs or stones and minerals, or have an interest in healing. The sections on ‘Manners’ will give you some information on the type of people or behaviour associated with the planet.

Interestingly Lilly, who was a practicing professional astrologer, makes no reference to correspondences with Tarot cards :)

Modern Astrology also uses not only the planets Uranus and Neptune but also dwarf planets such as Ceres and Pluto, Centaur like objects such as Chiron and a number of asteroids such as Vesta, Pallas and Juno. Traditional Astrology also used many fixed stars such as Cor Leonis (the Royal star) and Caput Algol (a malevolent star). Once again very few of these bodies have been incorporated into Tarot. My feeling, for what it’s worth is that it would only lead to massive confusion, it’s demanding enough just to go with the visible planets and the signs. Unless you are also very interested in Astrology.

Minderwiz

Some background and Some things to consider

Things to consider as you do the exercise:

Why Astrological correspondences?: One of the things which is rarely explained is why have these correspondences in the first place - don't the cards speak for themselves, without the need for astrological support.

What exactly is a correspondence? Are we interpreting correspondence as being a synonym for the same thing. I spend a lot of time explaining to Astrology students that, despite some books and websites, Aries does not equal Mars and does not equal the first house. They are not identical or interchangeable. Now if that's true with correspondences in Astrology, how much more true is it between Astrology and Tarot. When it's claimed that Venus corresponds to the Empress, what exactly is meant?

Validity: Even if you accept the need for astrological correspondences you might still feel that those given in the table or in the notes to your deck(s) are not valid - so if you want to reject them that's fine, but if you accept the need for astrological correspondences then what alternatives are you suggesting.

Background

The origins of European Tarot cards appears to be fourteenth century. This is perhaps two hundred years after the re-introduction of Astrology into Western Europe. It had fallen out of significant use after the fall of the Western Roman Empire but remained in use in the Eastern Empire centred on Constantinople. Although it became rather becalmed there, the rise of the Arab nations and the Caliphate at Baghdad led to a transfer of its centre to writers in Arabic or Farsi (Persian) and the transmission mechanism to the West was through the crusades and also through contact in Spain, which was dominated by the Moors (Morroccans). Along with Astrology came much of the lost works of Greek philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle. So the fourteenth century was an intellectual hotbed as these ideas were assimilated. Italy was one of the main centres (as it became for Tarot) and Astrologers such as Guido Bonatti (died c1300) did much to spread the knowledge. The rich families such as the Sforzas of Viscontis would have been very familiar with the Astrology of the day and the language and symbolism of Astrology entered the language not just of Italy but of all Europe. You will find Astrological references in abundance in the works of Chaucer and indeed in the works of Shakespeare in the sixteenth century.

By the late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries there was something of a reaction against the Arabic 'innovations' as the only surviving text in the West had been Ptolemy's and many of the ideas including the 'Arabic Parts' did not occur in Ptolemy (second century AD). In fact we now know that it was Ptolemy who was atypical and the Parts (The Greek term translates as Lots) were actually of Hellenistic origin and you will find them in the works of Ptolemy's contemporary, Vettius Valens. This rejection of the Parts probably accounts for them not being included in the later correspondences. Certainly the Lot of Fortune, would actually have a very strong correspondence with the Wheel of Fortune - showing that part of life over which we have little control - the things that 'bombard' us from the external environment. I'd say that 'correspondence' is one that is more of similar ideas and meanings, rather than direct literal equivalence. It certainly fits better than the Golden Dawn's 'Jupiter acting through Jupiter' correspondence.

The late eighteenth and the nineteenth centuries led to a real interest in the civilisations of ancient Egypt and of the culture and religions of India (mainly due to British rule). Thus occultists saw Egypt as being the original source of 'wisdom, especially hidden wisdom. In the mid to late nineteenth century the Theosophists placed great emphasis on the 'hidden' knowledge of the Vedas (Indian, not Star Wars) and made great use of the concepts of Karma. Indian Astrology (Jyotish) had a continuous history, especially from the use of horoscopes in the early second century AD. So it was seen as a model. Alan Leo actually said that all Western Astrology between Babylonian times and himself was simply superstitious. Actually we now not that it was not, and we also know that the horoscopic part of Jyotish was based on Hellenistic ideas. Nevertheless, the Theosophists including Leo saw a New Age coming and used their borrowed and refined Astrology as a source of learning more about it. Thus in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries you have groups such as Theosophists, the Golden Dawn, who tried to marry the Tarot with their newly discovered knowledge of Astrology. It's at this time the Rider Waite deck comes out and sets the trend for a wholly illustrated deck, rather that just the Majors and Court cards.

My feeling is that Astrology was tagged to Tarot because the 'time was right', both were undergoing change and re-evaluation at the same key periods, and those at the forefront of the development of Tarot happened to be very keen on the 'new' Astrology of their time.

Kathy123

Minderwiz, I am working through my deck and comparing the astrological signs to your first chart. My deck follows Crowley pretty closely. You mention that Crowley added the four elementals, earth air fire and water. However, I can't find "earth" on the chart.

Also I would like to thank you for this wonderful lesson and great intro to Astrology! Very informative Diving in on my back porch with my tea, cards, books and printouts :)

I would also like to thank you for the overview on different assignments by different authors, it makes studying a bit more understandable for me :) if I would have dived into astrology without that brief intro, I'm sure I would have been totally confused!

Mi-Shell

Thank you for your overview of astrology, Minderwiz! :)

Kathy123

Astrological connection - sept 9

I am drawn to the tower today, but instead decided to shuffle for my card. Strength was the first card that I pulled, appropriate that it was also a major :)

I was happy to see that my deck, Witches Tarot (Dugan) does include astrological associations. Her association for this card was "Leo". When I look on the first linked table, I see that both Crowley and Wirth also used this Association.

Maybe the universe was being easy on me today :) the association of strength with Leo is very apparent to me, after all, who better than Leo the Lion on the card :). *** please note I will eat these words later on :)

Upon referencing all the majors against the first list, it appears Dugan follows the astrological associations of Crowley, with a few exceptions. According to Dugan, The fool is Uranus, which made me giggle and will be easy to remember. The hanged man is Neptune, as opposed to water, Judgement (named Karma in this deck) is Pluto, instead of fire. Dugan has followed Crowley, but has replaced the elementals with more planets **** Minderwiz, are these the outer planets that you referred to?**

So, as I have an astrological "sign" as opposed to a planet for my first card, I will read more about "Leo's":

Leo's are a sun sign, my reference to the strength card in another tarot book describes the strength card as "... She is the power of the moon, the goddess in her aspect of wise woman, who holds the strength of the sun (Leo) in her hands". However, the more I read on the "Leo" sign, I can't say that I am 100% convinced that it relates to the strength card. (I am glad there are no right or wrong answers). To me, the strength card had always represented an inner strength, a gentleness of getting things done without force, to me it is a peaceful card. When I read the articles as they relate to the Astrological sign of Leo, they appear to be more of the "Leo the lion" references.

" Leo's element is fire and its nature is hot and dry. Fire types are characterised by spontaneity; swift, intuitive responses; vivacious and infectious ways of relating to others, and high energy levels. They are attracted to passion, drama and crave attention. This latter is particularly evident in Leos, who revel in positions that draw attention to them; where it is not forthcoming they will make conscious and unconscious attempts to foster it though the use of strong, vivid colours, dramatic gestures and overblown expressions."

This description can be seen in a "lion", but not the lion depicted on the strength card. To me "strength" is more about the woman in the image, who is controlling the lion, controlling the violent aggression, all with a soft touch. The perfect balance of masculine energy (depicted by the lion/sun energy) and feminie intuiton (represented by the woman/moon enery). Aggressive energies are transformed into personal strength. Animal and spiritual power are integrated together to become one.

In Corrine Kenner's "Tarot and Astrology", she makes the connection to strength and Leo as the Leo sign represents people who are strong, self confident, dramatic, flamboyant people, who would love to step into the three rings at the circus and tame the lion. They are fearless yet respect the power of the fearless beast. Having tamed such power, they can be vain and proud, and like to be in the spot light on center stage. (this seems to relate to the Leo astrological reference above from online).

Referencing my "complete book of spiritual astrology", the sign of leo is perceived quite differently: leo, transformation through joy..."Your job is to channel as much love, light and warmth as you the receiver can handle, and remember that you, on the individual level, are the vessel the force moves through, not the force itself. Your job is often to spread warmth and enthusiasm where there is lack of it, not to stand in the light so others can see how much you blaze".... "oneness through self expression". This explanation of the sign of Leo fits more to me with the image on the strength card, but not necessarily the standard astrological traits of the Leo.

I guess it all comes down to how you view the strength card. I personally don't agree with the Leo reference quoted above from online, and I don't see the woman depicted in the same light as Ms. Kenner in relation to the strength card. However, I do find the online aspects of Leo and Ms. Kenner's interpretation of Leo as what I would view as the typical "Leo the lion" personality. Maybe the lions appearnance on this card was just convenient for early tarot/astrology referencing.

Conflicting evidence on this card... The jury is still out. Waiting to see what tomorrow's card will bring.

I am hoping that there is a strong astrological connection to the tarot. Why? I'm not sure. I think because astrology is one of a mystery to me, as is tarot, and maybe the understanding of one will increase the understanding of the other... Only time will tell.

merissa_88

Hi closrapexa!

I'm posting this reading very late, but wanted you to know I very much enjoyed your discussion of the courts. It helped me connect in a better way with the Crowley Thoth and Voyager decks.

Nisaba, loved your reading so I decided to borrow/steal it. Because I resonate with the number 3, I chose three cards from the Greenwood Tarot:

King of Arrows/Lynx

The Lynx is a parent in this card, nurturing and protecting it's young cub. Air is represented by arrows in this deck. An arrow is in the background. Within the element of air, the creative process is complete and is already beginning again.

I have spent the last few years studying and learning new disciplines and approaches. Some of them are even related to tarot and oracle reading. I've had the opportunity to have access to a lot of great advice and teaching. But I now have absorbed what I can and have spent the last year creating a type of synthesis of what works for me. That "package" of ideas is what I am nurturing and protecting at this time.

Knight of Wands/Fox

The fox is playful and very energetic and smart. It is clever and is willing to try many different approaches to solve a problem. Foxes seem almost tireless to me, but can turn on a dime if they need to. This is the playful, immature aspect of fire. Knights always feel like they are in the middle of a process to me. I can't see the endpoint.

I am now trying to apply the knowledge I gained during the last few years to create a new future for myself. This has taken the form of creative, work, and health-related projects. All require action and passion. I keep needing to try different strategies. No one approach works most of the time. But I definitely need to jump in with both feet. I'm trying to create enough physical vitality to do this.

King of Wands/Adder

The two adders are locked in a competitive dance for mates. It's the summer and everything is at the peak of growth. Fire is ready to move and recreate itself.

I am hoping this predicts complete work that I will feel good about and more confidence in these areas. Of course, this will give birth to new directions as the cycle continues. This may be related to the fire element or involve some completely different energy, like water or earth. I am encouraged that there seems to be a story about moving from ideas to action with some level of success.

Thanks for your week with us, closrapexa! I get a lot of court cards in my daily draws with the Greenwood Tarot, so your story and comments were very helpful.

Minderwiz

Kathy123 said:
Upon referencing all the majors against the first list, it appears Dugan follows the astrological associations of Crowley, with a few exceptions. According to Dugan, The fool is Uranus, which made me giggle and will be easy to remember. The hanged man is Neptune, as opposed to water, Judgement (named Karma in this deck) is Pluto, instead of fire. Dugan has followed Crowley, but has replaced the elementals with more planets **** Minderwiz, are these the outer planets that you referred to?**

Hi Kathy, yes those were the planets that I was referring to. It's not that I don't see them as relevant, but they are very much a twentieth century addition to the list (even though Uranus was discovered in 1781, it was not officially named till 1850 and even half a century later astrologers were uncertain as to its meaning. So decks designed in the last 60 years or so might reference it but earlier decks will not (and even more so for the other two).

Kathy123 said:
Leo's are a sun sign, my reference to the strength card in another tarot book describes the strength card as "... She is the power of the moon, the goddess in her aspect of wise woman, who holds the strength of the sun (Leo) in her hands". However, the more I read on the "Leo" sign, I can't say that I am 100% convinced that it relates to the strength card. (I am glad there are no right or wrong answers). To me, the strength card had always represented an inner strength, a gentleness of getting things done without force, to me it is a peaceful card. When I read the articles as they relate to the Astrological sign of Leo, they appear to be more of the "Leo the lion" references.

I think that's a good observation. The important figure is the woman, not so much the Lion - it is her strength that is symbolised, the power to subdue the natural symbol of physical strength (and the natural symbol of royalty or government). In the Visconti deck the figure is of a man wielding a club over the lion - clearly symbolising physical strength but in Rider Waite it's a woman, still standing over a supine Lion, but now simply holding it's head. In the Witches Tarot (Ellen Cannon Reed) the woman and lion are at the same height of each other the woman holds a yellow ribbon that is tied around the lion's neck and the lion is licking her face. There's only the ribbon to hint at control and the lion has clearly affection for the woman. For me there's no common correspondences (certainly at an astrological level) between the Visconti 'Strength' and the Witches Tarot ,Strength'. The numbering is different too.

A E Waite doesn't directly attribute an astrological correspondence to Strength but does say that it conveys the idea of mastery, power, courage and magnanimity - all of which could be seen as Leo characteristics, especially in modern Astrology. To me the imagery is of a different kind of strength though.

If I use the more common woman and lion theme, then it's the feminine that dominates and the masculine (it's a male lion) is subordinate. In Astrology the Moon is the premier significator of the feminine (followed by Venus) - The Moon is strong by night and symbolises the 'animal' or 'non-rational' mind - intuition and instinct or even subconscious mind if you like. So there;s an element here about trusting your feelings and instincts when you try to achieve something. So yes, there's some Leo in there but it's not the dominant element both literally and figuratively.

This is an 'inner' strength that gives confidence and certainty from the very depths of character - it's not 'learned' but innate.

I mentioned the failure to use the Arabic Parts/Hellenistic Lots earier. There's a Lot of Spirit, which alongside the Lot of Fortune is one of the two most important Lots. It's calculated in a day birth as Ascendant + Sun - Moon. The Sun is the Lord of Sect - that is it rules the day, the Moon rules the night, so this brings knowledge from darkness to light The Sun of course rules Leo. So this Lot incorporates Moon and Leo. The Lot gives an indication of your ability to influence the world around you (which is why it was most used for career or social status). It doesn't have to be seen in terms of career though. It shows how we can influence events.

If you were born at night, the positions are reversed and it becomes Ascendant + Moon - Sun. Again the flow is from the Lord out of sect to the Lord in sect - the bringing of knowledge. Early Astrology placed great emphasis on the difference between night and day - night births (I'm one) have different characteristics than day births.

Edited to add: I did think of going through all my 15 or so decks and doing a comparison but with 22 Majors I decided that that might be too much LOL

Kathy123

Thank you for your comments and your understanding of the correspondence and the Strength/Leo card. Looks like we may be on the same page with that one. I appreciate your comments greatly! Interesting idea to study different "Strength" cards in different decks and compare images and how the lion is depicted. My base study seems to run along RWS decks, so the "compassionate/gentle/intuitive strength" seems to be my main thought on that card.

The Lion may have just been a matter of convenience for correspondence purposes.

A few interesting things I have noted so far.... In the tables, (focusing on Crowley), there are only five planets used. Even though, by the 1940's, both Uranus and Neptune were in our range of planets. The other interesting note on this table is the term "The House of God" instead of "The Tower".

Trying to fit astrology to correspond with the twenty-two major arcana, is an interesting concept. Crowley has five planets, twelve zodiac signs and three elements, plus the moon and the sun. I am a big "numbers" person, and when the numbers seem to fit, as in the number 7 (7 chakras, 7 sacraments, 7 days in a week), to me it is a synchronicity that you are on the right path. If there were 22 planets in our solar system, then maybe I could comprehend this system "fitting" better - and who is to say that maybe their aren't that many, and we just haven't discovered them yet :) However, just because they don't seem to "fit", yet, at this very early point of my study, doesn't mean there isn't something to be learned. Just by looking further into "strength", and whether the Leo correspondence fits or not, I have expanded my knowledge.

"I mentioned the failure to use the Arabic Parts/Hellenistic Lots earier. There's a Lot of Spirit, which alongside the Lot of Fortune is one of the two most important Lots. It's calculated in a day birth as Ascendant + Sun - Moon. The Sun is the Lord of Sect - that is it rules the day, the Moon rules the night, so this brings knowledge from darkness to light The Sun of course rules Leo. So this Lot incorporates Moon and Leo. The Lot gives an indication of your ability to influence the world around you (which is why it was most used for career or social status). It doesn't have to be seen in terms of career though. It shows how we can influence events."

I have never heard of "lots", that might be something to further study....

"If you were born at night, the positions are reversed and it becomes Ascendant + Moon - Sun. Again the flow is from the Lord out of sect to the Lord in sect - the bringing of knowledge. Early Astrology placed great emphasis on the difference between night and day - night births (I'm one) have different characteristics than day births"

From a basic understanding, I would assume these coincide with your sun and moon signs?

Thank you so very much for your input and contribution to this forum :)

Looking forward to tonights card :)

Minderwiz

The Lion may have just been a matter of convenience for correspondence purposes.

The Lion seems to have been 'standard' from the start. The large majority of decks use a maiden as the human figure and she is either forcing the jaws of the lion open, or shut (as in RWS). The only decks that I've seen that use anything other than a lion is the Renaissance Tarot which uses a unicorn and the Tarot of the Cat People, which uses a leopard cub.

Kathy123 said:
A few interesting things I have noted so far.... In the tables, (focusing on Crowley), there are only five planets used. Even though, by the 1940's, both Uranus and Neptune were in our range of planets. The other interesting note on this table is the term "The House of God" instead of "The Tower".

My feeling is that Crowley had to drop either two planets or two signs when he decided to introduce the Elements

Trying to fit astrology to correspond with the twenty-two major arcana, is an interesting concept. Crowley has five planets, twelve zodiac signs and three elements, plus the moon and the sun. I am a big "numbers" person, and when the numbers seem to fit, as in the number 7 (7 chakras, 7 sacraments, 7 days in a week), to me it is a synchronicity that you are on the right path. If there were 22 planets in our solar system, then maybe I could comprehend this system "fitting" better - and who is to say that maybe their aren't that many, and we just haven't discovered them yet :) However, just because they don't seem to "fit", yet, at this very early point of my study, doesn't mean there isn't something to be learned. Just by looking further into "strength", and whether the Leo correspondence fits or not, I have expanded my knowledge.

Astrologically speaking the Sun and Moon are planets, even though this is not the case in Astronomy. The word 'planet' comes from a Greek root meaning to wander and the Sun, Moon and other five were seen to 'wander' through the heavens, as opposed to the hundreds of visible stars that are 'fixed'. In the early Hellenistic texts the planets are referred to as 'stars', for example Mercury is called the 'Star of Hermes' and Saturn is the 'Star of Kronos. The seven days of the week clearly are astrological both by name and by the rotation of the planetary hours - for example. sunrise on a Saturday always occurs on the hour of Saturn. Now are there seven chakras because of the seven planets and twelve disciples because of the twelve signs?

I've always taken the Tower to symbolise the Tower of Babel (Genesis), which was destroyed by God (so I can see the alternative name as the House of God) Incidentally the ninth House in Astrology is also called the House of God - and there may be some links there.

Kathy123 said:
I have never heard of "lots", that might be something to further study....

From a basic understanding, I would assume these coincide with your sun and moon signs?

In a sense yes. You find the position of your natal Sun and your natal Moon, so the signs are used, though the degree positions are taken. You find the distance from Moon to Sun and then add that to your Ascendant.

Kathy123 said:
Thank you so very much for your input and contribution to this forum :)

Looking forward to tonights card :)

Thanks for having me and I look forward to your views on the next card :)