How big are your hands?

What is the maximum length of card you can shuffle, holding lengthways?

• 10cm (or less than 10cm)

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 11cm (Urania Thoth)

• 11.5cm

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 12cm (most USG/LoS)

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • 12.5cm

• 13cm

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 13.5cm (Medieval Scapini is 13.2cm)

• 14cm (DruidCraft is 14cm)

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • 14.5cm

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I can shuffle 15cm +

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

Barleywine

Done well, riffling puts virtually no stress on the cards, with faster randomisation= less shuffling time= longer shelf life.

I'll take your word for it. I've never been any good at it. Maybe I should buy a deck of playing cards and master it someday. I have wondered to what extent clumsy overhand ("sideways") shuffling might chip the gilt edging off some of my decks. I take even more care with those.

Farzon

Riffling (my preferred method) does NOT work with thick Schiffer stock.

But my response related to overhand as that was clearly the issue.
Oh yes, it does! It works pretty well with the Mary-El and even Robert Place's Vampire Tarot, if you just let the cards fall gently into place.

Back on topic: going with Tarotbear's definition my hand would be 21-22 centimeters (measured by eye). Some people said I could cover a toilet wroth my hands and I have met only one guy whose hands are bigger than mine. Although, the decks I mentioned before give me a hard time to shuffle.

Libra 58

I only have two large decks, Sirian Starseed and Visconti-Sforza and I can´t shuffle them.

Essence of Winter

Deck size isn't a problem for me as I just turn the cards sideways if I have to. The only very large decks I have are Robert Place's Vampire Tarot and my '70s Ancien Tarot de Marseille (Grimaud).

celticnoodle

With sooo many people saying they can't hold/shuffle big decks, yet big publishers keep on producing these 'decks for giants', I thought I'd do a bit of market research to find out how big the average hands are. What is the biggest deck you can shuffle, holding lengthways?

When I first saw this poll, I thought you were measuring the palms of the hands.

I didn't have a way to measure my most go to deck, till today, which I still have issues with shuffling. My main "Go To" deck is the Robin Wood, which measures 12.5cm or 4.5 inches lengthwise.

Now, I cannot shuffle it the riffling style like I do playing cards. I shuffle where I hold them upright, length wise, and then grab a few and shuffle them into the remainder of the cards left behind, generally. Every now and again, I do try to riffle shuffle them, but I have problems with all the decks save playing card size, doing this.

Lately, I'm having issues with the playing card size too--but its because I have an issue with my left thumb and wrist.

Anyways, when I am shuffling the cards--its generally playing card size. But, this also depends on how many cards are in the deck, (w/tarot, its 78, yes) and the stock of the cards. Also if they are well broken in and so very limber--it helps. Hey, I have a hard time shuffling brand new playing cards!

But, every now and again, I can shuffle even the RW deck - all 78 cards. I just cannot do it right now and I rarely am able to do this repeatedly all the time.

I went ahead and measured my hand from the where the wrist and the palm meet and to the tip of my middle finger and it measures 15cm or 6 inches exactly. The palm is 3". Not sure where in the scale this is with others who have small hands, but I definitely have small and wide hands.

edited to add, I selected the first one.

Barleywine

Deck size isn't a problem for me as I just turn the cards sideways if I have to.

That's what I do with the large-size Thoth and it works fine. I get better randomization because I'm not struggling to keep control of the deck. Of course, if I just did a perfunctory shuffle and then drew the cards randomly from a "fan" I'd probably accomplish the same thing with even less effort.

cardwitch

10cm and less

I reached my adult height at age twelve, so that gives you some idea how tiny my hands are. For me, mini Tarot decks are a godsend.

ETA: I know this probably goes without saying, but for the record, I'm talking about the size of a deck that I can comfortably riffle shuffle.

bluelagune

I have small hands too. I quit trying to shuffle my cards as they keep falling and I dont do the Vegas thing as I dont want them to crack in middle. I pile them all on top of the desk and pull card out in sequences and then put them back.

celticnoodle

Deck size isn't a problem for me as I just turn the cards sideways if I have to. The only very large decks I have are Robert Place's Vampire Tarot and my '70s Ancien Tarot de Marseille (Grimaud).

yes, but they can still be difficult to shuffle with small hands even if you turn them sideways. at least for me.

FLizarraga

I have the opposite problem than most people here, apparently.

My monster hands, which make shopping for gloves or rings a nightmare (they are like spades, with fingers both long and thick), can handle any big deck --well, except the Gorgon's, because that's simply too much for anybody, poor Dolores. But minis are just too hard... :(