How much do you really trust Tarot?

Brown Eyed Mystic

Hey everyone,

This may sound like a trick question but I'm all for your individual opinions :)

So I'm curious:

How much do you *really* trust Tarot readings, in the sense you would base your decisions on it?

Have you ever refused to follow a reading and then the reality came to bite you?

BEM

2dogs

I'm still at the stage of taking it as advice or opinion, but then I'm not an expert :livelong:.

dancing_moon

I trust Tarot, but I don't base my decisions (exclusively) on it. :) At this point, I treat my readings as an opinion of a wise and trusted friend: I pay attention to them, I analyze them, I compare them against the reality, and I make my own conclusions. And, just like with friendly advice, sometimes I follow it, sometimes I don't. Many times they coincide with my own conscious or subconscious opinions, though, so no major disagreements here.

There were a couple of times when the cards told me a certain person was no good for me, and I ignored it only to find out later that the cards were right. However, it's all part of the life experience. Sometimes we have to make our own mistakes in order to learn. :livelong:

Metafizzypop

I trust tarot fairly well. It's my interpretations that I don't trust. I don't assume that I read things right all the time. I have to allow a margin of error for what I see in the cards. For that reason, I don't do anything based solely on the cards, because I can't be 100 percent sure what they're telling me. Tarot is something that I will take into account, but any decisions I make are based on other things. Things that I can tell for certain.

Barleywine

This question, along with it's companion "How does tarot work?" is one that every reader comes up against sooner or later. I never think in terms of absolutes or certainties, more along the lines of "possibilities" shading into "likelihoods" if the picture in the cards is especially clear. I use it in the same way I use astrological predictions: to look for any bias in the evolving pattern of future reality that may encourage or discourage a certain outcome. It's like opening a window and peering in (or out, depending on whether you think the impressions come from within or through some outside agency). In the best sense, you're looking into the querent's subconscious where he or she already knows the answer, just hasn't recognized or acknowledged it yet. (This is in line with the "You make your own reality through subconscious reinforcement" paradigm.) You know you're there when querents experience the "Aha!" moment during a reading. I liken it to "informed opinion" of the SWAG ("scientific wild-ass guess") variety, and don't get all mystical or pious about it. It gives an "edge" on understanding future developments, usually nothing more. I trust my ability to make sense out of the card combinations, I'm a lot more circumspect about insisting on the infallibilty of the advice they give.

It brings to mind the Russian proverb that Ronald Reagan used when negotiating about arms control: "Trust, but verify." The more you can verify the accuracy of your readings, the more your trust will grow. What "feels right" is all well and good, but if it has no manifest expression in the "real world" it's only self-satisfying conjecture. In that empirical sense, I wonder how many of us ever really get there. "For entertainment purposes only," anyone?

Citrin

I'm kind of a skeptic by nature who has a hard time trusting others, and that includes myself at times LOL... I often think that "Well, there's a smaaaaall risk that it's not completely right and clear, so might as well not take it too seriously to not come off as a fool!" and that goes for tarot readings as well I guess.

Most of the time I do trust my readings very much though, because time after time they have come out "accurate" or whatever you wanna call it. But every now and then, mainly when the message is just "too good to be true" I start having doubts.

With that said I sometimes ignore the cards' advice, that I can admit! I asked a while back about a friend who was being a big B... to me and the cards VERY clearly told me that the best thing to do was to end the friendship. I agreed that it would be the best thing to do for myself, but there's also a big mess with a lot of friends in common who would feel uncomfortable with this etc. so I decided to not go with the cards' advice. I just didn't feel ready to take such a big step at that time. Since then my friend hasn't been acting like a big B... but she just might again and then I guess it will come back to bite me! :p

I agree with dancing_moon that I feel like my tarot cards are a wise, close, friend who give great advice. But every now and then life is just a little bit too messed up to go by all the advice so to speak. :)

Essence of Winter

Hey everyone,

This may sound like a trick question but I'm all for your individual opinions :)

So I'm curious:

How much do you *really* trust Tarot readings, in the sense you would base your decisions on it?

Have you ever refused to follow a reading and then the reality came to bite you?

BEM

I trust it completely as I have never been let down by a reading. At the same time, it is not the only source of information available to me and I think it would be madness to make major decisions by only going on what I found in a reading.

JackofWands

I would never make an important decision based on Tarot reading, and honestly I probably wouldn't even want to consult Tarot for something actually important. To me, those decisions are much better made based on careful evaluation of the verified information available to me--regardless of whether or not a Tarot reading could advise me.

Cocobird55

I've asked my cards to help me understand things many times, and they were always very helpful.

If I use them for a decision, I also consider what my mind and my gut are telling me.

Padma

"If you believe in something, really believe in something, it's gonna work out. If you don't believe, it's not gonna work at all!" (The Rainmaker, Valdy.)

I believe in my cards, and I respect their views. They are my wise (and sometimes sarcastic, but always insightful) companions. I can't say that I have made a decision based purely on their say-so (unless it was a small and unimportant matter) but I will admit that I always factor in what they have to say, along with the other elements present in decision making. :)