Finding news ways to make money from Tarot

yannie

Some shops in UK refuse to sell Halloween paraphernalia because of their so-called Christian ethics. Yet those same shops sell Islamic items :(
What do you mean by this?

There are overlaps between Christianity and Islam, and I see no problem with people of both faiths embracing that. I can also see why some Christians and Muslims would reject Halloween.

gregory

Any store can sell or refuse to sell anything it likes, as long as it isn't offensive about it. The Co-op refuses to sell non-fair-trade bananas. *shock horror*

A local bookstore will not sell ANYTHING about witchcraft after complaints from frightenened locals; as they said - they didn't care but it was harming their business. On the other hand a CHRISTIAN bookstore I know sells things about all religions - except wicca. I know a gay bookstore that sells no straight books.

I can't see any problem with this.

prudence

It isn't - except that some people think you shouldn't charge for reiki and so on either - that you should GIVE your skills - and there, people say the same of tarot.

The posts referencing alternative medicine were saying that both are skills tnat can legitimately be charged for.

Yes, this was exactly my point. It does happen quite a bit that when your friends and the outer lying circle of friendly aquaintances knows you practice any of these services, there is an expectation of getting some for free. I was also trying to make the point that if you don't think it is sad to charge for let's say Reiki, then why on earth is it sad to charge for tarot reading? Just because something might relate in some way to "the spiritual" it doesn't negate the fact that people spend money and a lot of time to gain knowledge and skill in their practice, why on earth should they be judged for expecting payment for their services?

gregory

It's even a bit like when you go to a party - and admit to being a doctor or a lawyer - and people seem to expect you to diagnose them or advise on their divorce for nothing.

NOT COOL.

Ruby Jewel

Ruby Jewel going on the road that way sounds fabulous! And here is me worried about turning 50, obviously I have stopped thinking outside the square I have been living in :) I don't think there is anything wrong for receiving money doing something you love, after all, we have all received money from jobs we hate. I have spent many years and money studying the Tarot and other subjects, so the advice I give can come from a good understanding of what the cards are telling me on behalf of my client. My readings come from my heart & soul, to help other people find their path in life again after going astray. Not all of us are blessed with friends to talk too myself included, so I am quiet happy becoming their friend for a short while :angel:

I don't feel bad about charging for a tarot reading because in my experience they take the reading much more seriously. I find that most people want to pay and are very happy about it. In fact, they often choose to pay for one of the longer readings rather than take the free one I offer. Recently a lady wanted the free one and by the time I got to the last card she had taken out a $20 bill, dropped it into the jar and said, "keep going." I remember the year I turned 50. It was absolutely fabulous. I was living in a basement in New York City being a "starving artist." I decided to go on a trip into the Baja and wound up staying 2 years and put in a restaurant.......my 50s were the best years of my life......don't waste them my friend. I say life begins at 50 if you are willing to take a few chances. Some times you have to go on the road to find "your" people.

ravenest

Aha, missed the sarcasm there. ;)

For people who really *do* think it's sad to charge, I ask why? Tarot readers are selling a skill. It's no different than any other trade or service industry. Anyone can study to be an plumber, for example, and individuals will have varying degrees of talent at it. Your toilet overflows at 4 am the morning the inlaws are supposed to arrive for Thanksgiving? Expect to shell out big time. No one criticizes them for charging for their time and skill.

Well, since you asked, I said

I thought it was sad that people look for more ways to make money . To me this is quiet a step up from getting paid for a reading ... its actively searching for more and multiple ways to make money out of it, I call that marketing.

I believe attempting to draw an income (or seeking more ways to make money out of it ) creates a tarot market that is geared towards what the consumer wants - its the law of supply and demand, some dont believe that influences them ... it may not, but I have seen the influence ... ever watched the late night tarot and psychic readers show on tv ... O M G ! :eek:

No offense, but the analogies you made are quiet silly. It IS very different from other trades and services , the difference is obvious to most, so I wont bother detailing it. A plumber is a regulated and qualified tradesman that has been certified as competent and works in a totally different field of hard reality and physical laws - and approved tested equipment and supplies ... and so on. This is like the old argument that a tarot reader is equivlent to some type of psychologist.

And to compare someone needing a reading and a tarot reader to a house with in laws arriving and a broken toilet ? ? ? ... what can say .... except I dont see it like that all, yopur analogy seems rather 'stretched ' to me.

And to top it off by saying no one has criticized a plumber for the amount they charged .... :bugeyed:

Frankly, if I'm going to listen to someone whine about their ex-spouse for 15 minutes for the third time this month, I'd damn well get something out of it for myself.

Wow . .... Look, its your choice, no one is forcing you, you even sound a bit resentful of such readings , that may not be a good way to approach them, or dont do that type of reading, I would suggest.

They're paying for my time and my skill with the cards. I've spent literally thousands of hours studying the cards and indeed, the occult in general. My pay scale reflects that.

So ? I have spent over 40 years doing the same. I was a big part in running a mystery school that about 35 people went through, numerous magical pagan rites festivities gatherings, huge alternative festivals, tarot workshops and tarot reading workshops, sat on three Boards for similar organisations, including one religious one on a local level and one on an national level. Then we get inbto what I did in refugee relocation, Amnesty International ... blah blah ... getting boring isnt it ?

The point is , we dont HAVE TO get paid for everything we do.

I mean, sure, fine, carry one .. whatever. I am only saying what I think because you asked why I think the way I do.

ravenest

Fully agreed. If charging for tarot is sad, why is charging for any (other) type of healing not sad? How about dentists, doctors, nurses, caretakers - why can they charge the normal wage for their skills and time? Why is it not_sad to charge for any (other) personal development service? How about teaching yoga, being a personal trainer, dietician, life coach, sports coach, beautician, massage giver...? Or any occupation or profession for that matter, why is it ok to charge in everywhere else for the skills, experience and effort you're putting in?

Sorry if this came off as a bit of a rant but at least I'd hope to see a bit more justification for singling out tarot as the 'if you charge you're a cruel human being' occupation/trade.

Ummm ... guys , you are not professional medical people, or have a trade .

As far as claiming that anyone that doesnt like the idea of marketing tarot has said 'if you charge you're a cruel human being' is a bit much. I may have missed that, but I am sure the comment isnt here or has been said by anyone.

I think when people make up quotes that were never said and then criticize them to make their point ... they may be getting a bit emotive.

I am not saying anyone is cruel human being for charging . Thats just throwing petrol and a match into something that was not a fire.

ravenest

I don't personally mind the Tarot being used for profit. That's a pretty ancient thing with most forms of divination. You pay for the seer's expertise, although that was far more exclusive and "accredited" in previous eras compared to now.

I'm curious about something. Why is Tarot being compared with alternative medicine? ...

... and plumbing .

gregory

I think what does grate on me rather is the title of the thread.

Finding new ways to make money from Tarot

If it said "Trying to make a living from tarot".... As it stands it does feel like "Oooh let's find a new way to squeeze money out of people".

Even "where best to offer readings for money..."

AnemoneRosie

Well, I'm perfectly happy to take money for a Tarot reading. A card reading is draining and it requires an exchange of energy - the client is taking my energy when I read for them. Consequently the client needs to pay me for my energy in some form of energy in return. They could give me groceries, or they could give me a nice home-cooked meal. They could fix my bike or sew me a dress, but perhaps they are not comfortable doing those things. Money is a stand-in for that energy exchange and it's one that I can direct toward buying that dress, or buying what I need to fix my bike.
It's still just a way of recognizing that energy exchange and of correcting for the imbalance that a reading creates. That's all. It's no more moral than is any other action - but people can easily make it immoral. The money itself doesn't care either way.