are there psychic detectives using tarot

Quest85

I do believe in tarot, but I also like to be realistic. It seems to me that the paranormal cartomancy only works when the tarotist and the cards are in touch with the energyfield of the querent. It might be possible that this connection can be over the internet, instead of live, but I am not sure. Answering questions about third persons is dubious, as family of missing persons have had no success with psychic detectives.

I don't know whether it is that we're from the same country ;) ...but I kind of think the way you do.. I do believe in magic of Tarot, I find it vey interesting to learn and I think in some ways it has proven to be pretty accurate .. but I tend to remain sceptic at some points about the usage of Tarot (by others (strangers), online(distance), at spiritual fairs)

I started a thread recently, you might like to read http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=266324

Anyway I also wonder something similar: Here in Holland we have those spiritual fairs, these astro-tv/online/calling medium programs, right? ... And those people all claim that they are psychic and have true psychic abilities....But have you noticed that all of those claimed Psychics are actually using *Tarot cards?! .... (*or any other spiritual attributes for that matter)
Well that raises a lot of questions for me about actual psychic abilities, and about people who claim they have them: Clairsentience,Clairaudience,Fortune telling etc... ... while all they seem to have is that deck of cards*, and the only thing that they most likely tap into is there intuition...Now wouldn't that makes us all psychics here :p :p
To learn to read Tarot, you don't need psychic powers, you learn to tap into your intuition and listen. And to me if a person claims to be psychic (for real) you won't need the cards.

And to point out, I'm not saying that there are no good readers, I am doubting psychic abilties.. and all those terms of so claimed 'mediums'... to me it seems they are 'just' tarot readers, so maybe what they really are is; Intuitively connected, or HSP maybe.
And then I think: you could also ask the question if then maybe could it be that reading tarot will turn you in2 someone with psychic abilities? hmmm.... I wonder

So much I wonder though ;) (I could go on and on..;)
As for answering your question; I think IF they were/are any succesful at all, I'm pretty sure they used tarot cards* ;)
x

Sentient

nuttyprofessor, I was wondering if you could explain a bit what you meant by this:

Though I am not sure whether there are real good tarotists nowadays.

nuttyprofessor

nuttyprofessor, I was wondering if you could explain a bit what you meant by this:

We are living in a materialistic, rationalistic era, and that undoubtedly has consequences for the way our "right brain" functions. Industrialization and technology have created heavy chemical and electromagnetic polution. There is little sense for mystery anymore because science is believed to uncover all secrets of the universe, about the whole planet is mapped by google earth in 3D, and paranormal phenomena are always debugged. The latter not in the least because of the many quacks who are contaminating the field of the esoteric. Those together are responsible for a detrimental vibe, and are a bad recipe for psychical finetuning.

dancing_moon

I've encountered mentions of Russian-language Tarot readers who practice solving criminal cases, but most of them work with clients, not the police, helping people to find thieves or stolen items, for example. Also, there was at least one instance of a professional police investigator being a Tarot reader, but I'm not sure to what extent or how successfully she uses the cards in her work. :)

My view on the matter, for what it's worth, is that the cards are 'the last resort' in these kinds of cases, and if used, they must be used with great discretion and only by professionals. Just like, when having lost your pen, you won't reach for your cards until after you've actually searched all over the place for it, I think people need to try solving the matter with some concrete and relevant steps before turning to the cards.

nuttyprofessor

I don't know whether it is that we're from the same country ;)
Yes, I am born, bred, living in Amsterdam. If you were using the tarot de marseille we could have met.
...but I kind of think the way you do.. I do believe in magic of Tarot, I find it vey interesting to learn and I think in some ways it has proven to be pretty accurate .. but I tend to remain sceptic at some points about the usage of Tarot (by others (strangers), online(distance), at spiritual fairs)

I started a thread recently, you might like to read http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=266324
Some of them are doing commercial online readings. It is striking that those people hanging around all the time on this forum are nowhere now. Whereas the thread about the privacy of celebrities got lots of attention.
Anyway I also wonder something similar: Here in Holland we have those spiritual fairs, these astro-tv/online/calling medium programs, right? ... And those people all claim that they are psychic and have true psychic abilities....But have you noticed that all of those claimed Psychics are actually using *Tarot cards?! .... (*or any other spiritual attributes for that matter)
Well that raises a lot of questions for me about actual psychic abilities, and about people who claim they have them: Clairsentience,Clairaudience,Fortune telling etc... ... while all they seem to have is that deck of cards*, and the only thing that they most likely tap into is there intuition...Now wouldn't that makes us all psychics here :p :p
To learn to read Tarot, you don't need psychic powers, you learn to tap into your intuition and listen. And to me if a person claims to be psychic (for real) you won't need the cards.
I didn't know. I never visit new age environments, and don't watch those programs. That there are no shivas with opened third eyes here doesn't surprise me at all (lol), but if they are really doing clairvoyant jobs with their cards they are well on their way. Using divination tools to trigger psychism is of all times. I don't see so much the difference to the intuition you are referring to and psychism. You seem pretty new to me, and maybe you think that for experienced readers the cards are like a text message. However, there is a lot of room always for different interpretations.
As for answering your question; I think IF they were/are any succesful at all, I'm pretty sure they used tarot cards* ;)
This is not really an answer to the question. Tarot cards are tremendously popularised, and one reason can be that due to the huge variety of decks they are much more commercially interesting than other means of divination, plus that people (women) do like pictures.

MandMaud

One thing I'm pretty sure of. If the police (of any country) ever publicly admitted to consulting the tarot, or psychics, or anything else regarded as woowoo, the press would tear them to pieces. If it's ever done with official permission or knowledge, it will be kept secret. Credibility is important for the police to do their job.

MandMaud

By cartomancy I mean that the cards point to a considerable degree to the solution or answer, instead of that the cards trigger hunches in the diviner or (s)he is doing coldreading. Ofcourse the question can be broadened to include all forms of divination.
Thanks for clarifying.

I agree with you, but with reservation. I have been frequently on the exchange here, and have been doing rather well, but am not sure whether this is due for a great deal to the kindness of the querent, to sheer luck and subconscious coldreading. And there have also been misses. Probably online readings go a lot better if you feel a relationship with the questioner.
My experience has been the opposite. I actually do better when I know less about the querent. I think in my case, it's mostly intuition - by which I mean the "sixth sense" that scientific people, eg neurology and psychology, actually do accept - plus maybe something else which I haven't (yet) examined closely. I can't bring myself to believe that I or anyone can sense facts about a distant person's life without any clues at all, but that's what seems to happen quite often.

(You'd have to look back quite a way for my reading threads, but if you want, I've done a batch about once a year.)

I'm not the best example, maybe, for this thread's question, because I suspect I don't need the cards at all for doing this. I just enjoy it with the cards. :)

My view on the matter, for what it's worth, is that the cards are 'the last resort' in these kinds of cases, and if used, they must be used with great discretion and only by professionals. Just like, when having lost your pen, you won't reach for your cards until after you've actually searched all over the place for it, I think people need to try solving the matter with some concrete and relevant steps before turning to the cards.

Yes, that's true of us tarot readers as much as others, and of trivial questions as much as the huge ones. :)

That there are no shivas with opened third eyes here doesn't surprise me at all (lol),
You say that as if it's fact... but you haven't encountered everyone here, surely?

I don't see so much the difference to the intuition you are referring to and psychism.
Intuition (as I mention above) is a proven thing. It works because the brain does a lot more than we're conscious of, and puts together information that we haven't even noticed we took in ("rapid cognition or condensed reasoning that takes advantage of the brain's built-in shortcuts", https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200705/gut-almighty; also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition). On the other hand psychism (as it's usually used) means the extrasensory stuff. Tarot-reading doesn't require psychism, though psychics bring something extra to tarot-reading; I think it does require intuition but I wouldn't state that absolutely as I haven't wondered about it for many years compared with some so I'm not really in a position to form a firm judgment.

This is not really an answer to the question. Tarot cards are tremendously popularised, and one reason can be that due to the huge variety of decks they are much more commercially interesting than other means of divination, plus that people (women) do like pictures.
Hey, nuttyprofessor, careful. It's unwise to throw around generalisations like that. Do you think no art collectors are male?

nuttyprofessor

One thing I'm pretty sure of. If the police (of any country) ever publicly admitted to consulting the tarot, or psychics, or anything else regarded as woowoo, the press would tear them to pieces. If it's ever done with official permission or knowledge, it will be kept secret. Credibility is important for the police to do their job.
I can agree with you on this point. But did any family of missing persons ever come forward to tell that their case was solved by a psychic? At least from the cards it should be possible to decide whether someone is still alive, but I have never heard anything about it. I think it is difficult to maintain that the cards always tell the truth if using reversals, because they would make it very clear. So I can infer from this that there are two possiblities:
- Reversals are no option.You always get the right cards, only interpretation is a problem.
- Reversals are an option. It is not sure at all that you don't get random cards. It's a matter of tuning.

Grizabella

We see what we look for. If we believe there's nothing to psi abilities, we're going to look for validation of that belief rather than seriously trying to keep an open mind to finding out if they're real.

There have been many instances where someone with psychic abilities helped the police and were successful. I've forgotten the name of the TV series that used to be on US tv citing and recreating psychic's assistance to the police. I'll see if I can find the name of the series for you. I've forgotten the name of the show.

MandMaud

When I read with reversals, I never (well, hardly ever) read them as direct negative versions of what the upright card would say. Everyone's reading style is different. Personally I don't - can't - read yes/no answers and don't do specific timing. If I were approached to read on a criminal case or a missing person, I'd find myself describing a situation, circumstances, relationships, the tapestry of factors that were relevant. Not "Yes she's still alive" or "No, this person isn't the murderer." (If I did think I'd seen that in the cards, I would never say so - releasing the thought to people who may act on it - hubris.)

So I can imagine being able to suggest where to look for someone, help with possible reasons for an action, that kind of thing. Maybe "under a bridge", "in a basement", or "because of fear", "overcome by anger". Then if that led investigators to the solution, say if they found the person where I'd thought, that would be tarot solving the case. This is different from a tarot reader stating "X is in the basement of 33 New Street" in that specific way.

We're probaby at cross purposes as these two ways of "solving" a mystery are quite different.