U.S. Games - customer service problem and resolution

gregory

tarotbear said:
Guys -
Going to the CEO - as noble as that sounds - is not the way to go. First of all - you won't get there directly, now matter how hard you try.
I'm sorry - but I beg to differ. I have done EXACTLY that with one of the world's largest distribution companies, who came up with the helpful suggestion that, for my convenience (!) I could drive 120 miles ONE WAY to pick up a parcel they had failed to deliver to my home at the guaranteed time when I had taken time off work to receive it (a whole day off, not just a two hour window). I got a letter from him saying, at the end "...and I quite understand that this experience will have done nothing to enhance your opinion of our company". And they delivered the parcel, with an apology. So don't rule that one out.

tarotbear said:
Secondly - trying to cut off US Games balls is equally as silly - that won't happen, either.
Boycotts can be very successful actually. I don't think we do want to do that - but if we did, it could work.

tarotbear said:
A couple of pages back someone posted about being as calm as possible, writing a letter listing the dates, times, people spoken to - YES - that is the way to go. You may have to email/post this to 10 different people - but that is the best way to go.
~ and Taran has done that.

tarotbear said:
You all may recall earlier this year the heated flap about the 'KKK' figures on the Scapini deck - everyone wanted people to picket USG and demand they change a card design
<snip>
Most of us said 'if you don't like the deck, don't buy it.' We were not agreeing with either side. The only person who can change that deck is the artist.
Well, of course, disagreeing about art is different - that is not a matter of a company's total disregard for its customers. You don't have to buy a deck if you don't like the art. But there's no point boycotting the company that published it - that smacks of bookburning.

tarotbear said:
I hear a lot of donkeys braying loudly - but I don't see anyone doing anything constructive.
Indeed ? That's not what I hear.

tarotbear

yeahyeahyeah Greg - so what?

The first problem to be addressed is the fact that a deck was returned and not replaced. That is the first issue to be addressed.

The second issue- separate from the first - is the rude Customer service rep - that needs to be addressed as a separate issue.

Jumping up and down waving your hands over your heads and talking in a loud voice is what characters in children's theatre plays do. Children think it's great - adults think it is stupid.

Address the problems here - not what you thnk of the card stock, quality of lamination, how they decks are shrink-wrapped - all the extraneious bullshit all of you are tacking on. If you HATE US Games so much - write a letter to them and say why and how. Yes, refusing to buy their decks is probably the single most obvious way to hit them. Boycotting them is probably the most effective thing to do. But remember - they distribute wrold-wide so repriving them is sales of 2500 decks is not going to affect them much. If you don't buy them, someone somewhere will.

But pissing and moaning about slights, real or imagined, about their products or services is not going to get the replacement deck in the buyer's hands, nor get an employee disciplined.

ACT LIKE ADULTS!

gregory

What a curious post. Taran has done exactly that - written to several departments to raise exactly what has gone wrong. Did you miss those posts ?

Leo62

tarotbear said:
But pissing and moaning about slights, real or imagined, about their products or services is not going to get the replacement deck in the buyer's hands, nor get an employee disciplined.
I don't think that's what anyone is doing here. I think gregory and others have made some very constructive suggestions. Why are you being so hostile?

And yes, writing to the CEO DOES work - I've done it myself when I haven't got a satisfactory from a customer service or complaints department. And incidentally, I'd send a copy of the letter to the CEO to the person you're complaining about - or their department. And keep copies of everything.

tarotbear said:
ACT LIKE ADULTS!
I think that's rather patronising and I take exception on behalf of the people that have posted here.

Eco74

US Games do have some nice decks out, so I for one would not wish to boycot them, but rather point out to them that they have a couple of very irrisponsible employees that they might want to have a chat with before more damage is done..

This is only one customer - however the faults that have been committed are too great to risk having brought on to more of them.
Hence, a letter to several people, or to someone higher up (middle management or indeed the CEO) in a curtious, factual tone can be a good thing in a case like this.

Yes - Taran has sent a letter, but an emotional one. And is referring to this thread in it. The thread does contain a lot of opinions about how badly the reps at US Games have acted, but really, as TarotBear points out.
This is NOT about US Games.
This is about a person who has not kept his promise of sending out a replacement deck - for whatever reason.
And it's about a person who has yelled at a customer on the phone out of frustration when she was asked about the person who had not managed to keep his promise.

The issue is not about the whole company.
Nor are large corporations inhumaine..
They have a different ruleset to play by than small companies however, since they are that much bigger and the larger it gets the more slowly the wheels turn. There's a lot more red tape to be taken into consideration and a person who is responsible for replacements may not have direct access to them but may have to order them and go through a number of ordersets and departments before they are sent out.
- lots and lots and lots of red tape - seen this first hand too -

Anyway.
The email has been sent and we can do little now other than wait for US Games to respond to it.
If they don't for a week, come time for personal emails or a fax or letter directed to someone who is somewhere other than the reps Taran has spoken to already.
Or someone could place the call for Taran, someone who can stay calm and focused and act as a mediator to get the ball rolling again on the other side..

Enmity makes for gravel in the machinery.
Calm and kindness makes for oil and makes the wheels spin much faster.

tarotbear

You're right - it's patronizing and I goddam meant to be! LOL!!

Yes - I read taran's posts - I even commented about how positive they are - if you read my post.

What I see in several of the earlier posts is people jumping on the "I HATE U.S. GAMES" bandwagon, they had a problem 15 years ago and they still hate, hate, hate - well - write the goddamn letters folks! Write the emails! But venting here in the forum about the 'Devil Satan US Games Company' will get you no where.

If you were smart, you would all band together through our pm system and send the exact same email complaint individually and collectively to the exact same people at US Games, detailing and complaining about the treatment an associate received. You would then (sending an exact same letter again) collectively and individually state that you will no longer be buying decks from USG - that there is a worldwide market of other tarot deck publishers that you intend to patronize. You will politely say why - no mudslinging or name calling - that you will spend your money elsewhere. Receiving the exact same letter from 1,000 people from all over the world will make a much better impression than two people jumping up and down waving their arms and talking in loud voices - which is sure to be ignored.

Rhiamon

tarotbear said:
ACT LIKE ADULTS!
wow...I didn't think anyone was even getting upset...I actually thought this was a very interesting topic, so we all know if it happens to us. I didn't think it was considered acting childish *shrug*

FraterGrant

Calling US Games now...

And OMFG. More yelling from (USG Employee 2). I said "Hello My Name is Matthew Neher, I called about a week ago" and then she started "YOU KNOW WHAT? YOU KEEP CALLING LIKE THIS AND NOBODY IS GOING TO BE HAPPY! I PERSONALLY HAVE TAKEN OVER 10 CALLS FROM YOU! (USG Employee) IS VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS" and I said "Well I think I am upset about my deck just the same.." and then her "WELL I DONT KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU (USG Employee) ISNT HERE" and me "Can you please send me to his voicemail so I can leave my contact information again?" and before I could even get the sentence out, I was transfered to a voicemail, but it WASNT even (US Games Employee)'s. This is, my friends, Grade A Bullshit. I dont know what to do.

tarotbear

Yes- and that is EXACTLY what you must put in your letter. Also the date and time you called - there has to be a record of it somewhere.

Next - Have you called TEN times to bitch about this - in the exact same way? Can we say 'overkill'?

Write, Write, Write. Also coordinate yourself with your supporters here at AT and have them also write about it. One crank caller (which is what you have turned into, like it or not) is going to get the 'bumb's rush.' 1,000 written complaints cannot get ignored so easily.

Once the 1,000 of you have written your group letter -STOP. As in spellwork, you have to let the universe step in and take over. Be methodical, not maniacal.

kamodo

I agree,
tarotbear said:
ACT LIKE ADULTS!
was uncalled for. I don't thin anyone was acting childish. They were all giving different solutions that Taran could have used. Although, some of them would work better than others, yes.

I don't exactly work for a large corporation, but I do work for a small retail business. I also do a lot of maintenance for family and friends' computer systems and do a lot of dealing with tech support hotlines. I've also had a similar situation with large corporations. Doing things calmly works best, on both ends. The customer support agent screaming at you was also uncalled for.

If the letters go unreplied, simply call the customer support and say you'd like to wish to the floor supervisor. After that, ask if you could speak to his manager because of an unresolved issue that is out of his hands. If he doesn't wish to put you through, he'll either take the request himself and try and resolve the issue, or he'll pass you on. Remember to try and keep a friendly tone. When/if the manager is put on, tell him the details, and tell him the trouble you've had. Say you want nothing but to resolve the matter, and that you just want the product you purchased.

I had purchased a laptop from a certain coproration. Over the first few months, the machine was working fine, but opening and closing the laptop lid was very stiff-feeling. One day, the plastic braces on the hinges snapped, and I brought it in to the shop. They said they could do nothing for me. It was my fault. I called technical support, and they said they could do nothing for me. I asked for the manager and the tech support guy said that "he wouldn't be bothered with something like this. it's not covered under the warranty, we don't care." I was fumed, but remained calm and friendly. I called again, and again and again and finally again. This last time not stating the issue and wished to directly speak with the floor supervisor. (if its a tech support, or hotline where you would usually get a random employee, they DO in fact have floor supervisors, or managers). I told him I have an issue and need to talk to someone high up, and that it was something that he couldn't resolve. He asked for the problem, and I told him. He kindly gave me a number where I could call their head office. I spoke with a representative there, and they apologized for the way I was treated, and it WAS in fact covered under warranty since the problem wasn't mistreatment, it was a defect. They express-shiped me a box containing another machine and a return form for the local outlet.

I did not yell once at anyone, I didn't get angry, and I didn't give up.

Good luck Taran and I hope you get the matter resolved. Don't give up, and don't give in. I'm sure in time you'll have your Golden Tarot back.

Truly,
Kamodo