What is a Tarot "Grandmaster"?

Sophie

Lillie said:
Now, personally, I have a certificate to show that I am the Arch Mistress of the Order of the Tarot Penitents of Lyonesse.

If anyone else wants to be something like that, I can do you a certificate too.
Oooh! I do! Will you do it in fresh goat's blood on parchment, under a full moon?

sweet_intuition

Lillie said:
Now, personally, I have a certificate to show that I am the Arch Mistress of the Order of the Tarot Penitents of Lyonesse.

If anyone else wants to be something like that, I can do you a certificate too.

Sounds Fabulous

Sweet Irish Angel

Wow

ill echoe SI
Sounds Fabulous!!! :)

Rosanne

I am the very model of a modern Grand TarotMaster General,
I've information vegetable, animal and mineral;
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical,
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o'news --
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
I'm very good at integral and differential calculus,
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous;
In short, in matters vegetable, animal and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Grand TarotMaster General......

One can borrow anything- My brother has a business for Corporate people called -Blah..blah.. Institute for Performance Excellence. He has all sorts of degrees and Abjab after his name...on the back of his card is this-
:Needs Assessment: Cause Analysis: Solution Selection: Implementation: Evaluate:
Sounds like he is a Tarot GrandMaster!! I am off to nick his credentials. ~Rosanne

gregory

I have a certificate saying I crossed Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. That was truly scary for one terrified of heights. Do you think it counts for something here ? I feel it makes me a master of something :D

Sophie

gregory said:
I have a certificate saying I crossed Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. That was truly scary for one terrified of heights. Do you think it counts for something here ? I feel it makes me a master of something :D
I hereby nominate you as a GrandMistress of Crazee Deeds. Well done, shake my hand, and here's your plastic medal.

Next!

Rosanne

I meant to add that list posted by Fulgour made me think of the Biblical Quote from Mathew- wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them....
Mary Greer does not need the Title -her fruit is watermelon sized.
Gregory that certificate indicates you can deal with anything! I hereby Knight you.....whatever you would like! ~Rosanne

firecatpickles

IMHO It seems to me that the term "grandmaster" is in extremely bad taste, in mixed company :|

Here in the South, it conjures up a completely different image from a dark and dreadful past.

Jewel

Helvetica said:
I hereby nominate you as a GrandMistress of Crazee Deeds. Well done, shake my hand, and here's your plastic medal.

Next!

Helvetica I would like to suggest you give her another "Charmed" pendant. She really likes those :D

As for the Grandmaster title ... well some people like titles, and some people only like to deal with people that have titles. I know for certain that this site is populated by "Grandmasters" in terms of knowledge, that probably know more than those with certificates stating they are "Grandmasters". For some it simply gives a great sense of achievement (those people do not publicaly announce they are Grandmasters). It could possibly be an attempt to immitate magical practicioners that have various levels of achievement or progressions. The title adds an illusion of mastery to those who do not even understand tarot, and provides querents with a false sense of security that they are dealing with an expert in tarot. Not that they may not be, but I would not put all my stock in a title (and no stock in a tarot Grandmaster title).

tarotbear

The ATA used to have 'Grandmaster' in it's list of titles. It means nothing.

As you can tell, I think 'certification' for Tarot is bullshit, and the selling of titles and degrees is a money-making scheme for the organization that issues them.