What is a Tarot "Grandmaster"?

Lised

cmon people

wow,

It's a title, people, that shows you went through a certain curriculum and learned the material to the satisfaction of the teachers. It is no more or no less than going to college to get certain pieces of paper.
It is ridiculous to say that it means nothing. Many certification boards are set up initially out of a genuine desire to help a field that has struggled to be seen from the outside as legitimate, by creating some standards by which at least the more formal part of the education can be objectively shown to a layperson: for instance i probably would not go to a chiropractor who did not have a certification on their wall. Beyond that, yes, the thing that ultimately reccomends me to them is the private testimony of other clients of theirs. their reputation, as time goes by, becomes more about what they have concretely done than the piece of paper on the wall, but that does not make it meaningless that they went through the training they did, or that they went through a school and achieved a certain "title".

Granted, in this field the objective technical knowledge is not nearly as important as experience and talent, but I think it's pretty accurate for me to say that the finest practitioners of any art or vocation have a strong balance of intellectual and intuitive understanding.

Why you all have to ridicule this so much is beyond me.
People should be respected for the work they put into something, yes, including those of us who learned on our own. In my field of massage therapy, it is considered a good thing that one has some credentials. We pay for training from respected teachers to gain knowledge as well as a piece of paper that objectively shows the world we were willing to put a certain amount of time and investment into learning our craft IN EXCHANGE FOR THEM FORKING OVER THE MONEY FOR OUR SERVICES. No, this doesn't mean everyone who goes through a school and gets a degree NECCESSARILY knows more than someone who didn't (hell certain friends of mine are a damn sight better massage therapists with no formal training than many trained professionals) but it's certainly more likely, and one can respect that they put the time and investment into that training. To ridicule that is just mean spirited and an attempt to pull others down in order to make yourself feel superior. It is the same as if I ridiculed you for NOT having any formal training.

I feel sad - so much space is wasted here making fun of other people. I am reminded that people are people - quite often petty and vindictive and I should stop expecting otherwise just because I happen to be in a group of esoterically and spiritually inclined individuals...

AJ

Welcome to AT!
This thread is going on 4 years old but the subject comes up every month or so. The problem with divination certificates is there is no objective way to measure a persons skill.

I heard a podcast last month where one of the names on the above Master list did readings. I was so disappointed I took her books in to the used book store and dumped them.

perhaps the old saw has some traction. Those who can, read; those who can't, write books.

Lee

Lised said:
It's a title, people, that shows you went through a certain curriculum and learned the material to the satisfaction of the teachers.
Hi Lised,

Please see the post from jmd on the very first page of this thread:

jmd said:
It is more likely that 'they' (whoever they are) did NOT follow a 'certification path', but were awarded the same to lend false credibility to the titles and their proposed certification path.

In other words, a Tarot Grandmaster (or at least the famous authors who are Tarot Grandmasters) likely did not undergo the curriculum of the organization but rather was awarded the honorary degree without doing the work, in order to, as jmd says, "lend false credibility" to the organization.

Edited to add: I don't really know if every famous author who is a Tarot Grandmaster got it by being "gifted" the title without having done the curriculum. But I know that's true for at least some of them.

Professor X

I saw something online where you could pay to attend a certain amount of classes get some type of certification. I cant remember if it was a Grandmaster certification or not.

I dont know how in the hell you can pay to get certified as being a Tarot anything.

Your reading skills come from within, from your own soul.

This grandmaster stuff sounds like a bunch of total baloney.

HOLMES

I have no problem with the title myself

the reason why I have no problem with the title myself is just like I got no problem with a doctor of philopshy title that one may acquire.
after all any organization can call their graduates anything , smurfs ehhe.

the main problem here stated those moons ago , that the grandmaster title was given honory to some of those who had given meaningful contributions to the tarot and they hadn't taken the course.
for the most part this was book authors I think.

we always had a discussion here what qualifications should fall under for such a title, after all wouldn't it be cool to go to college and get a two year reading diploma in tarot, or a four year course in university?
well it would be cool but unless you can get clients you wasted two/four years, unless it was for your own personal love of the tarot itself.

I am a big beliver in experience based on a good foundation of technical knowledge yet I don't adhere to these standards myself for I don't care to study history. as long as the tarot works i am happy with it.
that would be my personal horror to go for a credited title and have to study the ancient theory of history of the tarot eww.
that is probaly the same for those who read the tarot by inuition only, they might feel stifled learning an astrology system or the kabbalah system to go with it.

look at this from the canadian tarot network

cERTIFIED TAROT MASTER (CTM)
Has qualified and been a Certified Professional Tarot Reader for at least six months
Has written and published at least 3 each of: Tarot articles, Tarot book reviews, and Tarot Deck reviews
Has demonstrated mastery of the tarot deck, including attributing the 22 Major Arcana to another esoteric or occult paradigm (can be used as one of the 3 articles)
Has written an outline for teaching the Tarot to a beginner (can be used as one of the 3 articles)
Has taught 10 people or more to read the tarot deck to at least a level of CATR (or equivilant)
Can explain or has written out how one's code of ethics applies to what one writes and publishes as well as how one deals with peers

what has publishing 3 tarot deck reviews/articles has to do with one ability to read the tarot?
notice they suggest that you have to be able to releate the 22 major arcana to astrology or kabbalah for example. ?
what does teaching 10 people to read the tarot deck has to do with one ability to read the tarot.

CERTIFIED TAROT INSTRUCTOR (CTI)
Has qualified and been a Certified Tarot Master for at least one year
Has taught at 30 people or more to read the tarot deck to at least the level of CATR (or equivilant)
Serve as a mentor, coordinator or moderator for a tarot group either online or locally for a period of one year
Has written a complete curriculum for teaching the tarot to intermediate students.
Has written a teacher/student code of ethics

what does serving as a mentor for a tarot group online for one year has to do with one ability to read the tarot. !!

"CERTIFIED TAROT GRANDMASTER (CTGM)
Has qualified and been a CTI for a minimum of 2 years.
Has establish a national or international reputation as a tarot expert, author, or teacher
Has coordinated, organized, or lectured at least 2 conferences
Has served positively on any tarot group, committee or board for minimum 1 year
Has written a code of ethics for working with groups and communicating with peers "

what does lecturing 2 conferences have to do with the tarot.
what does serving on any tarot group , board for one year have to do with the tarot itself ?
what does writing a code of ethic for working with groups have to do with the tarot ?

imo a tarot grandmaster would be differnt then grandmaster tarot teacher,, or grandmaster tarot speaker.
they are just trying to put too many things into such a thing.

gregory

The trouble with most of these tarot grand master things is that you just pay to get the title. No study or anything is involved. And even where there is - there is nothing to say that such study is worth the beans it was paid for with. And I'm sorry - but I could answer the right questions the right way to get the certificate - and I don't know ANYTHING worth knowing.

Never forget that DOG who got certified as a counsellor in the UK a couple of years ago.... OK, his master filled out the forms - but what does that tell you about on-line quality control ? They should have known he was a dog..... - but then again - how ? You NEVER know who you are dealing with.

(My apologies to those who have been through proper organisations; I do know there are people here who have worked their butts off getting some well earned certificate or other - but I repeat - we have no way to know any of it.)

starrystarrynight

Plus, as has oft been said here: Just how do you qualify (or even quantify)...grade?...one's intuition? And even though many of us are well-published authors, what in the world does writing an article about tarot have to do with one's ability to do tarot? That just seems, to me, to be an extraneous "requirement" thrown in to pad the requisites to becoming the "Grand Master" because real qualifications are difficult to impossible to assess--especially online. (I have been read by some of the most kick-ass readers who would likely not be able to craft a readable sentence--let alone a whole article or book--but have been blown away by their readings. Those are the real "grand Masters", in my opinion. And I've said all that here before. :))

And, too, who certifies the certifiers...as gregory and others have said...(?)

firecatpickles

starrystarrynight said:
And, too, who certifies the certifiers...as gregory and others have said...(?)

Exactly. There is no accreditation process here. Sorry, but this is just not how education is organized and administered.

Baroli

Do you get a hat? That's what I want to know. I mean, Grandmasters in chess just get to be a grandmasters in chess. But now if a Grandmasters in Tarot gets a hat like the Pope in the Hierophant card,......now that would be very cool. ;)

re-pete-a

and and annah wand too !!

Like Darth Vaders sword.!!

To look for approval from others, indicates you have given away your own sovereign power.