Morality of Reading in Church

HearthCricket

I don't think there is anything wrong with reading tarot in say, a library or separate room in a Church building, but I do think it would be disrespectful to read tarot in the actual sanctuary and certainly not on the altar. If we want people to respect our tarot reading we need to respect other people's sacred spaces and not encroach on them. The altar is where the priest consecrates the elements to the body and blood of Christ and altars are supposed to contain a holy relic inside of them. Whether or not you believe in this is not the point. The point is respecting one another beliefs, traditions and sacred spaces. That would be like someone plopping their scrapbook supplies and glue guns on your beloved tarot deck and spread cloth.

That being said, I have known plenty of churches that hold fairs or Halloween parties in the classrooms, libraries and fellowship halls that are attached to the Church building, and have had tarot readings as part of the fun. So, it certainly isn't evil or immoral by any means, unless, of course, a priest asks you not to.

As for the 5+ years, super congrats to you! I am so proud of you for taking the steps to getting well and beating some hard odds! It is fabulous to hear success stories like this and gives me hope for my SIL who is not doing as well, but also has other mental health issues mixed in that need to be addressed on a regular basis.

Milfoil

coyoteblack said:
When we were done we and a person who pretty much believes in things the same way as me where the last ones to leave. The alter( cant remember if that is the correct word for it) was right there would have made a perfect reading table but something said not to.

A very interesting discussion.

I would stand by my gut instinct and not use the Altar. If thats how you felt there then you are right.

The Altar is consecrated and you were most likely picking that up. So although I can't see any reason not to use the chapel to do your reading, perhaps the Altar isn't the right place.

coyoteblack

Empath111 said:
I'm guessing the altar isn't being used by the AA during the retreat, is it? My point is it isn't just an ordinary table - a nice and useful surface. It has a very holy, single purpose. It would be disrespectful to use it as a table.

actually it is used. Our retreat master is almost always a catholic priest. They have mass there for all types of Christians but us with a pagan bent cant use it for our reasons.

There is so much spiritual energy in that place with all of us recovery fol going through there. it would be nice to do a reading there even if it is a small one.

coyoteblack

Milfoil said:
A very interesting discussion.

I would stand by my gut instinct and not use the Altar. If that's how you felt there then you are right.

The Altar is consecrated and you were most likely picking that up. So although I can't see any reason not to use the chapel to do your reading, perhaps the Altar isn't the right place.

Great answer !! I think I will combine some answers here and ask sister Anita ( she is also the only person I know in jersey that teaches Gaelic) if she would mind if I read there. If not maybe I can bring in a small table or a large reading cloth and read some where on the floor.

Empath111

coyoteblack said:
actuallt it is used. Our retreat master is almost always a catholic priest. They have mass there for all types of christians but us with a pagan bent cant use it for our reasons.

There is so much spirtual energy in that place with all of us recoverig fol going through there. it would be nice to do a reading there even if it is a small one.
Ok, they use it for Mass....but not for a spot to leave pamphlets, AA materials and coffee/desserts;)

Just saw you might bring a table - I was thinking of suggesting that. Good luck! I hope you enjoy your retreat! Congrats on the sobriety:)

Sinduction

coyoteblack said:
actually it is used. Our retreat master is almost always a catholic priest. They have mass there for all types of Christians but us with a pagan bent cant use it for our reasons.

If you've been given permission to use it then why not do so?

The altar is made of wood, the cards are pieces of paper. For me, it is as simple as that. I don't think using your method of spiritual communion in any way offends the church. Churches are erected to connect with a higher power, no? Isn't that what you're using the cards for?

So you can lay a bible on the altar but not other pieces of paper with pictures on them? That makes absolutely no sense to me. Do you seriously think god cares what method you use to connect? I think he/she/it would just be pleased that you are there at all.

memries

coyoteblack

I don't think it would be a very good idea at all. What are you trying to prove ?

The Altar is a sacred space overlooked by the brazier with the red candle in it which is the sign that the host is contained within the brazier. If the candle within is not lit then the brazier container is empty and the host is not present.

I would be very careful if I were you. Do not think that the Spirit within the Church has no spiritual power of its own, that would be very dangerous for you.
It is not a good idea to treat things casually that are very serious you may bring upon yourself something you do not need.

It is called reverence and we all need it in all expressions of spirituality.

I am writing this for your own good and protection.

I read Tarot and have the Druidcraft as well.

coyoteblack

very fire and brimstone memries

but you answer your question of what I am trying to prove:

There is a lot of spirtual energy in that place from all walks of people.

Recovering people are very spirtual by our nature. I would like to tap into that energy and read . There is nothing on the table when I am there at night. just a plain white cloth over a very old wodden table ( really nice wood btw).

I understand where you are coming from though.

sharpchick

The spiritual premise behind AA, Alanon and Alateen is the same - connecting with your Higher Power, as you know it. If all spiritualities are not treated the same, i.e., [t]hey have mass there for all types of christians but us with a pagan bent cant use it for our reasons. . . then it might be in order to suggest that another location be secured for retreats.

Milfoil

I'm not sure it is simply a case of not treating different spiritualities the same but rather having respect.

Personally I would not feel comfortable using my own home altar for a tarot reading, it would feel disrespectful in my eyes therefore I would not use any other altar elsewhere, regardless of the religion.

If the Priest is happy about the altar being used for different things and coyoteblack feels that its ok then go for it.

From a Shamanic perspective, why not ask the chapel?