Do YOUR decks have personalities?

Alamaris

A couple of you who read my "One Deck Wonder Query" thread might remember me mentioning that I anthromorphize inanimate objects. Did it when I was a kid, and still do today, although not quite as avidly (I'm less prone to start sobbing if a teddy bear rips a stitch, obviously ;)).

I got to thinking about that post I made, and began looking at things other people were saying on the forums, about how their decks seemed to have personalities. I know mine do.

So, what sort of personalities do your decks have, if they do? Do some of them seem to be of different age groups or maturity? Do they all get along, or does your Victorian Romantic refuse to be read if the Necronomicon Tarot is in the room?

To kick it off, here's mine:

Small Thoth: A sarcasic old man. Evokes mental pictures of Crowley with a Merlin beard, smoking a hookah, and occasionally a serious Groucho Marx.
Large (trimmed) Thoth: The wise old hermit who's not sure if I'm ready for his reams of wisdom, but willing to give me a chance.
Universal Fantasy: Somewhat aloof, a little alien. Mysterious and secretive, like it doesn't want to reveal the history of the fantasy world its set in.
Lo Scarabeo Tarot: Playful and positive, like the old friend you meet in Starbucks for chit-chat.
The Lunatic: Like its name, seems to have a bit of Multiple Personality Disorder. Very Mona-Lisa-esque (think the famous smile).
Victorian Romantic: You're sitting in a Victorian parlour with a dignified woman in period dress, drinking tea. Bubbly but dignified.
Tarot of Eden: Very aloof, almost like a sheik bartering for trade. Like the Universal Fantasy, its "alien" and a little distanced, but not above coming down to lend a hand.
Gothic Vargo: I'm not sure about this one yet. I'll probably end up finding its a little like the sterotypical vampire: reserved, dignified, mysterious, romantic.
UFO Tarot:: Sort of like a first-contact missionary, or a priest-storyteller from another world. Kind and gentle, but not above the occasional terrorizing gesture if need be.
Gothic Tarot of Vampires: Dark, a little "emo"; almost a lurking personality. Darkly romantic, a little sullen and mournful.
LS Dragons: Playful, innocent yet wise, a little fairy dancing just out of your reach, giving you little clues to pique your curiosity and laughing with you. Deeper than it lets on.
Halloween Tarot: Very playful, innocent. Like a happy little elf or, like the creatures illustrating the suit of wands, imps. Willing to give you the right answer if you promise to play, first.

Your turn! :D Don't be afraid to go into detail; I want to hear all about your wonderful decks.

Skysteel

I wonder if the number of decks a person has correlates with the number of ways they see themself, of the number of qualities they see in themself.

Alamaris

Skysteel said:
I wonder if the number of decks a person has correlates with the number of ways they see themself, of the number of qualities they see in themself.
Ooh, I like this theory! I think this is going to prompt a lot of journaling and introspection on my part, trying to figure out what parts of me are reflected in how I see my decks.

Charmy

Aah, I love threads like this :) Here's mine:

Rider-Waite: The old, old friend. Always positive, and happy - but knows when to kick my ass and show me the harsh, harsh truth of a situation when I need to see it. Great deck for giving me a reality check :)

Cosmic Tarot: Very mysterious. The wise old sage I find myself consulting when I have questions of a spiritual nature. Gives excellent advice, especially during those moments of existential crisis.

Goddess Tarot: The raging feminist who refuses to allow men to touch her, literally. Very dreamy, but only works with women :)

Mystic Faerie: Extremely fun and light hearted. Lovely energy with this deck. I always feel uplifted after I read with it :)

thorhammer

Okay, I'll play:

Universal Fantasy - To me it's welcoming, but takes for granted that you'll know what it's talking about, when a lot of the time you don't. Hence there's a bit of a communication problem at times.

Rohrig - The liberal, bohemian exhibitionist. Says things for the sole purpose of shocking people. Likes to make a splash, rock the boat, that sort of thing.

Lunatic - Lolita. Sweet and innocent, with a rotten core. But ultimately helpful, welcoming, compassionate.

1001 Nights - The mysterious Arabian tour guide you hired at the street corner down from your hotel. You never know quite if you can totally trust him, but he's showing you some uber-cool stuff along the way.

Manga (Selena Lin( - The dumb blonde who's really not so dumb. I went to school with a few of these, the kind to ask how much a 30 cent cone costs, you know? But there's a streak of guileless wisdom there, and total surrender to the person she's talking to. Definitely a "she".

Hanson-Roberts - Incredibly cranky old woman. Has this split personality thing going on where she wants for some reason to help, tell the truth, guide others, but does so in the most abrupt, cruel, confrontational way possible. Sociopath.

How'd I do? :D

\m/ Kat

6 Haunted Days

Skysteel said:

I certainly hope not, or Gregory has some serious multiple personality issues, she'd have to hire an army of therapists :laugh:

Alamaris

6 Haunted Days said:
I certainly hope not, or Gregory has some serious multiple personality issues, she'd have to hire an army of therapists :laugh:
I seem to recall someone who had 500+ decks, and someone else who had 900+... was that Gregory? I'm trying to imagine the sheer storage space needed for all of those!

EDIT: Oh, and you wouldn't need an army, per say. Just perscribe her one of my old therapists. ;) All of them would be worth a couple dozen troops. Evil, evil therapists...

Disa

My turn:

Rider Waite: The personality of a stuffy, crotchety woman who appears much older and set in her ways than her physical years would suggest. She expects everyone to be as cold, ridgid and unfeeling as she is.

Tarot of the Secret Forest: Exactly the personality that it's name suggests, mysterious, beckoning, wild at times and serene at others, balaced well between things that are down to earth and things that are whimsical.

The DruidCraft: Open, honest, and true.

The Housewives Tarot: Playful but will knock your socks off with the truth when it's needed.

The Vanessa Tarot: Sensual, powerful, playful, mischievous.

Disa

Logiatrix

Decks with personalities?

ruski_svet

Getting to know my other decks

I like this post and got out some decks I rarely use. Just to get a feel for them, maybe there's something I missed that would let me work with them better.

The Da Vinci Enigma is still out there for me. As for how to use it, the 10 of Earth I pulled didn't help. What it offers spiritually and emotionally (4 of Earth) and physically (Emperor), didn't click either. The 2 earths and Emperor are grounded compared to the out-in-the-ether feel I get from the pack. Maybe it's telling me to use this specifically for practical matters to get used to it first. Still, it's one of the heavier, dreamy decks I have.

I guess I was too busy critiquing the line and color work on the Victorian Romantic, because after a few quick readings I like it better. As to what I missed at first (4 of Wands), it was the freshness and differences in each card. The 4 of Wands caught my eye right after I got it, it's one of my favorites. The 10 of Wands is how the connection can improve. All the other cards I got were more upbeat, but it might mean to take things slowly with it?

I also did a "person" reading for the VR. If it were a person I met, what would they be like?
At First Glance: Queen of Wands. Someone here did compare the VR to a victorian lady, a bit haughty at times. Haughty but capable, and good with advice.
Getting to Know Them: 4 of Wands. Aha! The 4 again. I like the word "bohemian" used in the lwb. They're a corseted victorian lady who likes to shake things up.
As Friends: 10 of Cups. The understanding will progress as I work with the deck. Everyone is so happy in the card, got a great feeling from it.

At least I feel better with the VR. I'm doing this with all my decks, like employee reviews or something. Should I keep them or should they be fired?