Evaluating decks for a purchase price. HA!

The crowned one

Marion said:
I understand that a re-issue pretty well kills off the price of the OOP original, unless, I suppose, the reissue is inferior in some way. In the case of the Alchemical, I think it will kill the re-sale market because the re-issue is a lot better and comes with the artist's blessing and a genuine renewal.

So as a investment comics are better ;)

I do not consider myself a collector but I do love the funkiness/cool factor of vintage decks!

wytchwood

Me too TCO, I'm certainly not a collector, I swap decks I don't like as you know :) But, I love vintage decks, and the preciousssssnessss of limited and special decks. I don't pay loads for decks, I really can't afford to, but if I get a bargain or a cool trade I do enjoy that! I only have a couple of decks which are oop and none of them all that sought after, but in a way it's nice to own them, if only because they're kept 'alive' by someone having them.

zoe xx

Cerulean

I think Marie White's deck...the original majors and aces...

had a small run and either came with a bag or spreadcloth once upon a time...so the price she originally charged seemed reasonable (but I don't recall what it was, darn!)

Anyway, that deck has been anticipated for years...decades it seems...and when the artist does finally finish her minors, it will be interesting to see if she feels like turning them into a full 78 set!

Small press decks seem to keep a good value.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

P.S. By the same token, sometimes I run across used tarot books from small presses that were self-published or out-of-print with 'tarot' included in their curious versions of "new age Aquarian" musings...and the self-sketched or personal visions of the majors or cards do not add to the charm of the text. Sometimes it is better to have the 78 card decks alone without having the re-written or re-cyled BOTA/Waite/Eden Gray material.

The crowned one

Looks like I can add the value of a possible "Pam A" to my little value guide!

Anyone want one? I dropped out at what I felt it was worth to me: $450.00

here it is

Anyone want to guess what it goes for? :D

gregory

Er......

£425 ?
Because he isn't a tarot seller and won't be on people's favourites lists....

But it could be way more - bidders are private..... everyone we know may be in there !

gregory

The crowned one said:
Looks like I can add the value of a possible "Pam A" to my little value guide!

Anyone want one? I dropped out at what I felt it was worth to me: $450.00

here it is

Anyone want to guess what it goes for? :D
Hang on, sweety - it is only at $374 USD..... maybe there was a retraction ?

motsa

So as a investment comics are better
Only if you have the leisure to choose how much you sell them for when the time comes to sell. ;-) I had a huge comic collection in the 80s that I had to sell for a massive loss when I was unexpectedly laid off and completely pennyless.
Hang on, sweety - it is only at $374 USD..... maybe there was a retraction ?
I think the crowned one meant $450 Canadian.

epvitale

Whatever a person is willing to pay is what the item is worth. To use an analogy look at Major League Baseball, the Yankees just dolled out more than a billion dollars for three players!! (What sagging economy ...)

Moving back to Tarot Cards, I just spent $100 at amazon on two decks (RWS and Gilded) and three or four books as a Channukah present to myself. Would I spend this every month, no. I would expect to pay between $25 and $35 for a deck/book set. No more than $20 for a deck alone.

Gary

gregory

Me Canadian too. I didn't think the differential is THAT much.... maybe.... I haven't been following it all lately....

ETA :bugeyed: So it sodding is ! Last time I was over they were almost at par ! for a few days CDN was even higher !

2_Journey

This is actually something I've been thinking about lately, since joining AT. I have a bunch of decks (some OOP. many still in print) sitting in a box in my parent's basement, and I have been thinking about selling them. I was thinking of doing so on ebay or here on AT, but I have no idea what prices to set.

It seems that some people are out to just make a buck, while others are trying to sell things at a fair price, and I suppose the difference could be considered subtle.

But I suppose it is a legitimate question. How do people set the price of their decks when it comes time to sell them? I don't mean the crazies with their $1000 haunted decks, but the legitimate tarot sellers wanting to downsize their collections, or in my case, free up space in their parents basement.