One Card Spread

direwolf336

I was wondering if any one does just a one card basic spread for anything...I have not really heard anyone talk about it nor have I seen it mentioned in any of my books... I had a couple of people ask me about this and it had my curiosity up...

Jason

rwcarter

Jason,

A lot of people believe that one card is all you need to answer any question. The ISG (Intuitive Study Group) reading exchange is based on that principle. But to use only one card for a spread requires that the reader wring every bit out of the symbolism in the card. I've done a few ISGs (a new one is set to start in a week or so), and they're a good way of stretching those intuitive muscles to be able to answer a question from just one image.

I think you don't see a lot written about one card spreads because most people aren't comfortable with the idea of using just one card to answer a question. I have lots of books though, and I'm sure I've seen it mentioned in some of them, even though I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

Looking quickly through the Tarot Spread Forum Index located at the top of this forum as a sticky Note, I only see a single one card spread and that's Let Love Speak.

I think there's also a feeling that the word "spread" indicates more than one and preferably at least three cards. That could be another reason why there isn't a lot written about one card spreads.

Rodney

Miss Divine

direwolf336 said:
I was wondering if any one does just a one card basic spread for anything...I have not really heard anyone talk about it nor have I seen it mentioned in any of my books... I had a couple of people ask me about this and it had my curiosity up...

Jason

Yes, I do it often and for me it works great.
Instead of doing a spread with positions, I often ask a question and draw 1 card. For another question I draw 1 card again. For me it gives very clear answers and often works better (in my experience) compared to spreads with set positions.

Raindance

Yes, pull one card and that's the theme of the day.

throughsmoke

I do it
one card is the most accurate.

Sheri

One of the 2 ATA Free Reading Networks uses 1 card draws for readings. The other network uses 3.

:love: Sheri

Wisdom Moon

Direwolf366

Our tarot group did a one card spread just yesterday and most found it most useful. We had a extensive list of things to look for to include the following: first impressions, colors, numerology, figures (to include posture of that figure), landscape, archetypes, emotions, astrological associations, season, and element.

Hope this helps.

Wisdom Moon

direwolf336

Thanks guys..This is very interesting and I am going to try this and see how it works for me....

Thanks
Jason

MomentoMori

Yes a one card draw is all you need "sometimes".

Keyana

I tend to use one card spreads for one question. Like: "How is today going to be for me?" Or: "Is there something important I'm missing in this issue"

Generally, I tend to prefer using oracle decks for one card spreads rather than tarot decks, unless I take out just the higher arcana and do a one card day-theme spread. I guess it depends what your purpose is. :)