Tarot of Prague Café Club - The Fool

Bean Feasa

Jewel-ry said:
I'm sure when Bean Feasa gets here tomorrow she'll throw more light on it!

lol, Jewel-ry, you have great faith in me! But I'm afraid I haven't a clue what those markings are. I wonder are they those astrological glyphs that you get on cards in some other decks? A lot of decks have Hebrew letters too, but these do look more like Arabic letters, one looks a bit like the number 3 backwards. I'm afraid I'm not learned enough to know, but I'm sure there are some expert Aeclecticians who would. Maybe we should post a question on one of the other boards. Or maybe baba could help us out. (Yodels) Oh baba, are you out there?!

Hi Kissa, welcome to the cafe - like the song says, the doors are always open wide :)

baba-prague

The Fool at last - and more

She shuffles in a bit apologetically and offers cappucino all round...

So - firstly I have not bought those cards yet, but tomorrow I absolutely will. I haven't been down town much, and when I was I have to just be honest and confess that I forgot (I got over-excited at the discovery of a good Italian deli - first one in the centre).

However, here also (AT LAST - I hear you say) is the original of The Fool.

The little black dots are numbers - it took me a moment before it clicked I have to say. I was wondering to begin with if the star signs were being seen as dots.

I do think I have to make a huge effort to find time to put some of these originals on the website. They add a lot to the enjoyment of the images I think.

These are a little bit large for downloading, but have to be to see the details:

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/aquarius.jpg

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/aquarius_close.jpg

________

and I promise to be a bit more active - the last week I've been lost in the new deck I think. My own Tarot of Prague has been getting restive and demanding the attention it deserves

Jewel-ry

Hi baba,

No apologies needed, we know you are busy.

Thanks again for your input on these cards. I never would have thought the markings on the fool were numbers, although I did count the stars earlier on. I do like to see these pictures up close (I have just been looking at the lamp on the 8 wands one too!).

Don't worry about the decks, whenever you can would be great, no pressure!

J :)

zagone

Both the Star and the Fool are sometimes associated with Aquarius. They are both serene and dreamy in this deck. Aquarius can tie them both together in the sense that
Aquarius dreams big pie-in-the-sky goals. Aquarius dares to be different and try what others would not think of.

I like the urban setting of this Fool. Its possible to set off into danger, the unknown, or a new project in an urban setting too after all.

The funny thing about the Fool is that you never know whether he is going to succumb to danger, or be saved despite his ignorance. Something about babies, children, and Fools lend themselves to surviving brushes with danger that no one else would (and likely never knowing they were in danger to begin
with).

For the first time I can recall, this version of the card provides the possibility that the "ground" (flying column-head in this case)
will actually move itself to catch him as he steps off!!

-- Zagone

Moongold

Are there are two representations of the Fool here? The stone figure carrying the Fool in the orange cape looks just like his companion and even has the same stars on his cape. The stone Fool also has a cap of similar kind to the Live Fool

I have not got the book to this deck but perhaps the stars represent some kind of energy. Do they represent the constellation which shelters the planet Uranus? I will check this out.

Does this image depict the Fool and his Shadow? We all carry a shadow but perhaps this Fool has achieved mastery over his to the extent that past experience can carry him to new places.

It is interesting to think of Prague as a city full of art, including sculpture. It is not fanciful to thing of the stone sculptures holding spirits within. Prague is is such an old city and the statues are sculpted from ancient stone which has seen much. The Australian aborigines believe that solid matter holds spirits. - Uluru - although this is a long way from that. But is is nice to think that this beautiful city holds a different kind of magic.

I like the idea of the Fool with his Shadow. It make him so much more human. This is also about change - metamorphesis - we can all change to something else when need be. We are all capable of amazing change, and maybe we ultimately do achieve self mastery as this Fool may have. What energy propels him through space?

It is also about slipping back and redemption. We are human and we make mistakes from which we learn and grow. Matter is in constant motion as are our spirits. Our spirits are constantly forged and mixed in the fulcrum of human experience. I like thinking of the Fool in this way. He can be constantly renewed and reborn, although I imagine this process to be far slower than I've just implied.

annik

I feel that anything can happen on this card. I would not be surprised if this fool grow wings and take flight! Wait he seems to be already on a flying statue! With the magic of the fool, anything become wild and unexpected. A bit as some old cartoon, the conventional laws of gravity don't apply.

Little Baron

This fool is elevated high above the city.

It gives him a different view point. And it gives others a different view of him. Like the stars, they may look up at him in wonder. How different he is and how differently he behaves to those on earth.

For me, he is an adventurer. The statue on which he stands is not part of anything - no building is attached to it. He jumps about from no structure to no structure. It stands wherever he is, for he is not attached to anything either. For some, when a person such as The Fool comes into their life, it often seems as though he has appeared from nowhere. And when he leaves, he disappears in a puff of smoke. He is not held down by the constraints of either the people he meets or the little dog that tugs at his clothing. You can not rein in this man.

I like that the card is almost divided in two. You have the complicated city life at the bottom. And the free, airy sky at the top, where the fool dwells. I read a book called Roofworld, recently (by Christopher Fowler) - about people that had given up living down on the ground with every one else, but instead, were living above, on the roofs of London; jetting about on invisible runs. This reminds me of the book. Almost opting out of what society expects from you and taking a jump into the exciting unknown - a brand new world of experience.

LB

Bean Feasa

LittleBuddha said:
The statue on which he stands is not part of anything - no building is attached to it. He jumps about from no structure to no structure. It stands wherever he is, for he is not attached to anything either. For some, when a person such as The Fool comes into their life, it often seems as though he has appeared from nowhere. And when he leaves, he disappears in a puff of smoke.

I like this 'nothing and nowhere' theory, LB. Very zen and gave me a bit of an aha moment. I never thought too much before about where does the Fool come from or go to.

I like that the card is almost divided in two. You have the complicated city life at the bottom. And the free, airy sky at the top, where the fool dwells...
Actually that's something I noticed a lot in this deck. There are often two worlds in a card - a very clear foreground figure separated from a detailed background world by a river or an arch or in this case an elevated position. In quite a few cards a background mural of some kind seems to 'shadow' the main figure.

Interestingly enough there are roof-people too in The Colour of A Dog Running Away by somebody Gwyn - Nicholas Gwyn maybe. An atmospheric read - it's set in Barcelona. The Fowler novel sounds good - must look out for it.

Thanks for reviving this thread Little Buddha :)

Jewel-ry

Oh it is nice to see this thread resurrected again. Funnily enough I had this deck out again this afternoon, it is still one of my favourites. I know it better than almost any other.

I have been reading a lot about Rudolf II and his court in Prague during the late sixteenth century. His court was very cosmopolitan in terms of the ideas that flowed through it and the people that he brought into it and included astronomers, alchemists, astrologers...all sorts. For me the whole deck epitomises Prague and its cosmopolitan society both historically and present day. The feeling overwhelms me when I look at the deck and begins with the very first card...the Fool. The world is his oyster, there is so much to do, so many things to experience and he is just going to jump in and do it.

Just great!

Thanks LB :)