How many?

journeyinghome

I know this is probably a very silly question, but how many TdMs should I have? I mean, in terms of learning and comparison, what is useful? I currently have a Flornoy Noblet, which was my first TdM deck, plus a very recently acquired Tarocco di Besancon (from a lovely ATer) because I wanted one "older" TdM and I fell in love with the Besancon's Devil card.
Is it worth getting a Flornoy Dodal or a CBD to add to my collection to work with? I know I don't want an ISIS because the colours don't appeal to me and the 1JJ doesn't do anything for me. Generally, I prefer clear and crisp cards because of my eyesight, but I made an exception for the Besancon :)
Any thoughts/suggestions/advice gratefully received! Thank you!

BSwett

One is enough. Two is fun. Three is a collection. Four is a party. Five is a problem. Six is proud. Seven, not enough. Eight is greedy. Nine, you need one more. Ten, might as well keep on going...

But yes to Dodal, and absolutely yes to CBD.

:)

journeyinghome

Thank you for your advice. I think I'll aim for a party :D

Richard

The Ancien Tarot de Marseille (Grimaud) is clear and crisp and has been in print since 1930. Paul Marteau, its creator, coined the term Tarot de Marseille for commercial use. The Grimaud TdM may be the single deck most responsible for the continuing popularity of the Marseille pattern, and for many (including me), it epitomizes what Tarot is all about. Some people don't like the color scheme, which is almost entirely limited to red, yellow, blue, and flesh tones. The CBD and ISIS are more brightly colored versions of a similar pattern.

Attachments

• GCI.jpg
    GCI.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 127

Rafaël

More is better ;-)

Hi,

If it's for study and comparison I would first of all go for the Madenié and the Chosson facsimile by Yves Reynaud. They are the most authentic available and therefore the best for comparison and study.
And if you want to extand beyond TdM, try a Viéville. I couldn't do without :)

Cheers,
Rafaël

shaveling

What you're interested in learning and comparing could be relevant to the choice. If you get something with cleaned-up clear lines (a perfectly sensible preference), keep in mind that that involves "editorial choices" on the part of the person cleaning up the lines.

You probably should have a Conver-based deck, as LRichard says. And the Grimaud is a good suggestion, I think. We all call it the Grimaud, but you might find sellers list it under "France Cartes," who bought Grimaud. The CBD is also Conver based. (I think that's for Conver Ben-Dov, but I could be wrong.) It has enthusiastic fans. Either would give you the clear lines you prefer.

As for your original question, one answer might be two decks: a TdM I (Noblet or Dodal) and a TdM II (Conver, or my beloved Burdel). But there's something bleak about that approach, and there's a lot more variety among Marseille decks than that would give you.

DavidMcCann

If you want to venture of the beaten track, there's always the Tarot flamand de Vandenborre and its ancestor the Tarot de Jacques Vieville. And the anonymous Tarot de Paris, if you can find a copy. (The next one is ebay will become MINE — keep off!)

journeyinghome

Thank you all so much for your help, it's fantastic! I had no idea that there were quite so many TdMs out there. And now my wish list is growing. I love the look of the Vieville but I will prioritise getting something Conver first :)

Good luck with your search, DavidMcCann! I'm keeping out of your way :D

Sherryl

I'll second the suggestion about the Pierre Madenie produced by Yves Reynaud. It should have everything you want: easy on the eyes with deep colors and distinct lines, historically important as the earliest Conver-style TdM we have ,and a facsimile, not someone's cleaned up version. The differences between Madenie and Conver/Chosson are minimal.