Journal Entries-For Beginners- The Fool

KelarSkye

Selfishness of the Fool

I have always considered the Fool to be selfish. I see that as a thing he has to learn about on his journey. Right now the grail is his goal, no matter who gets hurt in the process. he hasn't learned the value of any other aspect to life other than following that grail. Hence his lack of caution, planning, fear, whatnot as he embraks on his journey.

I would say it isn't necessarily negative that he is selfish, but it is something he must and will learn to temper. Chasing the grail with no caution in your own life, or thought of others will eventually catch up to him on his journey. By the end he will learn to balance his selfish and his giving natures.

So yes, I do see the Fool as selfish and I don't want to cut him slack :). He needs to learn and he will.

It's funny, but my recent ex is totally the Fool. And he is selfish (self admittedly). And it kicks him in the butt time and again. I don't cut him slack, I call him to the carpet and so does everyone else. But I also understand that he is just at that point in his life, once he moves on it will changeso it doesn't really leave me sad that he sucks now :) (unless he is stuck at the Fool forever which some are). Thought I would personalize it to get my point across.

I really like this study thread!
Kelar

Inana

Re: Am I the only one?...

LadyMedusa said:
Does anyone else see a relationship between "us" as a collective and The Fool? It seems that each of us in our own way are for the most part beginning our journey, as The Fool is near the beginning of his?
Didnt thought about it before. But now that you say it... I also feel a bit like this.

About for the fool being selfish... I dont see it like an inherent characteristic to him.
I think if he finds someone in his way that needs of his help, he will give it if its something that could be solved fast. If not, he will give his opinion or advice, but he will not stay more because he has other things to do. Its a bit like... the characters on the movie "Chocolate" if someone remembers that one. He is a nomad.
Someone who is always in the way alone, moving from one place to another, needs to take care of himself and think about his own objectives. To be independent its different from to be selfish.
And for me, the Fool is independent and individualistic, wich not means necessarily selfish.

LadyMedusa

Inana,
I tend to agree, I see The Fool more self absorbed than selfish. Maybe another term to use would be self focused. Although depending on the other cards that might be involved if they present a negative influence selfish could very well fit.

LadyMedusa

Inana

Lady Medusa, you are right on it.
The meaning its always depending on the other cards of the spread and how they are related. Of course, this sometimes mean to show the more negative sides. In that case the Fool can be selfish, inmature, stupid, etc...
Only saying i dont see him like that when watching his good side or trying to study what it means to me.
By the way, interesting discussion we all are having here. :)

sweetscarlet

Re: Re: Am I the only one?...

xxxxx

KelarSkye

Inana said:
The meaning its always depending on the other cards of the spread and how they are related. Of course, this sometimes mean to show the more negative sides. In that case the Fool can be selfish, inmature, stupid, etc...
Only saying i dont see him like that when watching his good side or trying to study what it means to me.
By the way, interesting discussion we all are having here. :)

I guess this is what I meant when I said that he is selfish. Obviously these are qualities that are good at times, but they are also bad at times. The reason I spoke up strongly on his selfish qualities is because I see that as a main negative side to this card. Either cautioning you need more self focus or you are being too self absorbed.

Of course the Fool can also be a delightful person who has a goal yet is carefree enough to stop along the path and learn as he goes. Out for the adventure and all of the s\things that can be learned along the way to the goal. I guess that is another element I see, the Fool's journey could be a demanding quest where you can't stop for a second to smell the roses...or it can be an experience with the path as important as the ending. Those aould all be told from the nuances of the other cards.

Kelar

spunch

Well, this evening I'm not so in the mood for calling The Fool selfish. Can you blame a really young child for asking constant questions about everything? Can you blame him for not wanting to share anything with his/her older brother or sister? Can you blame him for expresing the sadness, anger, selfishness or anything that, as the original, true feeling comes from inside?

All this is just a phase. He doesn't know better. It's up to all the people in his life to teach him some facts of life and to show him wisdom. It's their responsibility.

The sad thing would be if The Fool came home from his long journey, without learning anything (or without WANTING to learn anything). But then, I wouldn't call him The Fool then. I would call him The Stupid! :(

Inana

Well... seems that finally we all tend to agree about this selfish matter on the Fool. Interesting.

Wildchild

In the Goddess Tarot, the Fool is called Beginnings, which I always thought makes more sense than the Fool. In Beginnings, I see possiblities rather than recklessness or selfishness. Beginnings, to me, sounds more like that moment in time when you decided on a course of action. Anything is possible. Your journey can turn out good or bad, you just don't know at that point. Like the first step that starts you on your way to new discoveries. In not knowing how things will turn out, but you're taking that chance.