Waking the Wild Spirit Study Group

Grizabella

I'm not sure how this is done, but I'll start off with this and then research in this section of the forum a little bit to see what others are doing.

I hope we can get some interest going in studying this deck. Myrrha suggested a study on it and I had been thinking of doing just that but was a little hesitant, so now she's gone and done it---pushed me over the edge. LOL

First of all, I can share what I've done with the book. I've seen criticism of it saying that she pushes her agenda and some of her characters seem harsh and arrogant.

What I've done is read what she's written (her style of writing is really wonderful) and then I've written a little character sketch in my journal about each character. I've done what I do when reading the cards, which is kind of back off and look "from the corner of the eye", if anyone knows what I mean by that. I take in what she's said in each character's voice and then write a brief sketch of what this character comes across like to me. I can liken it to pressing my nose against an oak leaf and thinking that's all there is as opposed to backing off a ways so I can see the whole tree.

For instance, the Cunning Man (the Magician) is very sure of himself, very in tune with the world around him and how to use what's available to him in "magical" ways to achieve what he needs to achieve. He's stripped his life down to the bare basics by not tuning in to man's mental clutter of status quo and the need to keep up in the rat race of daily life. He takes time out to just be silent and learn from nature and then he uses that elemental knowledge to work his "magic". He believes that we all can, too, if we get rid of all the extraneous stuff we usually get caught up in and he's a strong enough and powerful enough character that he's brusque about trying to help us see we can work magic, too, if we follow his lead.

That's just an example of how I've backed off and taken in the overview of the character of each card as expressed in the book. In this way, there's no memorising of the card's meaning and it's an excellent way of developing what a card means to me personally.

Myrrha

I ordered the deck. Can't wait!

What helps me study a deck is to look closely at the picture, describe it, how it makes me feel, what the specific symbols mean. Sometimes it helps to imagine I am the character in the card and describe what I am doing and feeling in the first person. If I can do this before looking at the book it is better. Then later the book can add another person's perception.

Do you plan to start with the majors and go in order?

--Myrrha

Grizabella

Yes, I think starting with the majors and going in order would be a good way to do it. I can't wait to see how you feel about it when you get it!

wildchilde

I would be interested in a study group for this deck...(do we have to be paying members for the study groups??)...

I love the imagery of this deck and enjoy using it, but rarely get the chance because the book doesn't give any real interpretations of the cards and sometimes I get confused what card is represented because the names are all different than a "standard" deck.

I would definitely enjoy a study group on this deck! :)

Sulis

I'm looking forward to reading this one. I don't have this deck but I do like the artwork I've seen on-line. You lot may persuade me to get it.

Wildchilde you don't have to be a subscriber to use the study groups - just jump in :)

Love

Sulis xx

Grizabella

I'm glad to see we're building a group of interested people here!
Sulis, I hope you do get the deck. It's wonderful!

I'll start a separate thread going for the Wandering Minstrel, which is the Fool of the Wild Spirit deck. If anyone has suggestions how this should go, let me know. I was going to wait for Myrrha's deck to come, but she'll be able to join in soon, as her deck should arrive any day now, I think.

mahimaisme

anyone else has the deck and needs to understand it better before you can fully use it for frequent readings?
i think i could do with a study group on this one!

Grizabella

Synchronicity has happened here. :D I was just thinking it would be good to start a study going on this deck again. Tomorrow I'll post on the Fool and maybe we can get this study group going. Or anyone else who wants to can begin if they want to with any card of your choice---be my guest. :)

magpie9

I'm the worlds worst study group person, but I love this deck and have gotten nowhere with it--the book defeats me. This looks like what I need-- and I never thought of character sketches--brilliant, Lyric~! So I'd like to join in, and hope I stay the course, and if I don't, that no one get mad at me!