Spiral Tarot Threes

tarobones

Since we've discussed the Empress, how about looking at the Threes in the deck. According to the LWB and the larger text, the deck organizes itself in this way. The Empress rules the threes and express her abundance.

3 Swords, the card of sorrow has a unique image. Rather than the traditional swords piercing the heart we see two people, obviously in a relationship that has ended, each going their separate ways. The focus is on the woman in the foreground who touches her heart, to indicate the pain of sorrow is still very present. In a way though, this is also a "moving on" card for me because the ending of the relationship can signal a new beginning.

BB, Michael

wizzle

yippee....3's

Thanks for starting a new thread for the group.

3 of wands -
Except that the watcher is a woman, this looks like a pretty standard representation for this card. However, one wand has shifted from the figure's right to make two wands on the left. I don't know that it has significance, but I note it anyway. There are 3 ships in the water, just like RWS.

3 of swords -
I find this an improvement on the RWS imagery, which always makes me nervous. The grief is still represented by the figure of the woman, the rose and the rain, but there is some light in the distance as well as a very indistinct figurre walking away. These are reminders of hope in troubled times.

3 of cups -
Again a standard representation even down to the pumpkins in the foreground.

4 of pents -
This is one card I find misleading. The emphasis with the ballerina in the spotlight is on the accomplishment and kudos of a fine performance. In other words, the result of hard work is emphasized. However, I believe the RWS version which shows intricate and lasting work in progress being shown to "satisfied customers" is more inclusive of the many aspects of work. If I were just to look at this card, I'd be hard pressed to see gain, building, group effort, etc.

tarobones

3 Pents

I agree about the 3 of Pents. The symbolism in the RWS is about work, and the book on the Spiral Tarot takes a little different tack: "The three of pentacles represents recognition and praise for skills." The two decks have different emphases. In keeping with the description of Spiral Tarot book, the image of the deck makes sense. In RWS the other people on the deck could be viewed as recognizing the skills of the laborer doing the work, so I guess I can see the connection. BB, Michael

WhiteRaven

3 of Swords.......

Does anyone see the "rose" as "hope".....The woman.....filled with sorrow....but the rose at her heart stating that through the sorrow she carries hope...? I dunno.....that rose stands right out for me.....especially with it covering the heart chakra......

tarobones

The Rose

Thanks for noticing that Rose. It has always been a symbol of love in secular culture, and this image of the Rose at her heart reinforces that symbol, it seems to me. I like both the traditional RWS image and this one, but for different reasons. I have become quite fond of the Spiral Tarot. Each card is intriguing. BB, Michael

Dreaming_One

Three of Swords-- I love this 3ofS. It looks bleak and painful, but I agree with what WhiteRaven said about the rose being a symbol of hope. . .this card looks to me like an unfinished story. It looks like something horrible has happened, some sort of painful conflict, but you can still see the man, and the woman hasn't given up on that blossom of love. . .I think it's beautiful. Even if the relationship depicted on the card is finished, at the very least it looks like they'll both be able to move on. Hope for new love, projects, ideas, or whatever. Yay!

Three of Cups-- Cute card. . .I like how the dancer on the right is holding what looks like the same spiral The Empress was holding. Definitely emphasizes the connection there. The only thing about this card that confuses me is that weird thing on the girl on the left. . .(our left). It looks like somebody has thrown a tomato at her chest! Do you see it? What is it? Does it mean that even in the midst of the celebration there could be conflict, but that the good so outweighs the bad that one hardly notices? Or. . .is it actually supposed to be a bow or something? lol!

Three of Pentacles-- I love this card. I'm a total tarot newbie, so I don't have any previous notions of this card to make me dissatisfied with it. On to of that, I'm a theatre actress/singer, so the visual is really easy for me to relate to.
I believe the RWS version which shows intricate and lasting work in progress being shown to "satisfied customers" is more inclusive of the many aspects of work. If I were just to look at this card, I'd be hard pressed to see gain, building, group effort, etc.
Oh. . .I wish I could get you into an opera or something, because I think you'd change your mind. For one thing, the ballerina is a very hard worker (I for one can't dance, and to see those girls practice constantly like they do, pushing on through injuries--!). The amount of teamwork and varied skills it took to get that ballerina in the position you now see her in is mind boggling. Those pentacle lights are being operated by unseen lighting technicians, the outfit was made by a costume designer, there was a choreographer and director, and while the ballerina is shown alone, it's doubtful that it was a one-woman-show. Actually, that sort of gives it new meaning. . .it could be not only a woman getting recognition for her skills, but a woman getting recognition for other people's skills, as well. An audience rarely thinks about the backstage people. There is a definite creative/artistic angle to this card, though, I'll give you that. ;)

Question though: do you see the ballerina as facing the audience, or facing away from the audience? I've always seen her as having her back to the audience, which is strange.

Three of Wands-- Straight-forward. I always see this woman as wanting to leave, and go on to better and greater things. It's like she's standing there in her fancy new dress, thinking to herself, "Alright, I've come this far. . .let's see how much further I can go!" . . .with just a touch of arrogance. I like her, lol. :D

TheLovers2

It's better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all!

3 of Swords

A breakup. Divorce. Separation. Reminiscing about what "we" had. Regret. Loss. Jilted. Too much distance between us.

Who's at fault here? The man is walking away, his back is to the woman; he has already put some distance between them. It is obvious that at least at this time, he doesn't desire to be with her; he is not concerned. It is night and he leaves her all alone. Does he know that she will be safe, that she will be alright? Does he care? Perhaps, as he's walking away, he's thinking of her and wanting her, but, "has had enough."

Could it be that she initiated the breakup and he is regrettably walking away. Were they having an affair while one or both are still married? Maybe she's married and cannot continue this, so she ends it and to end it nearly breaks her heart. She is very sad. Did he give her the rose before he left? Does it represent her heart which he has refused?

Well . . . to me, most of all it (the rose) represents hope, life continuing in spite of; remembering during the hardest times of our lives . . . the little things that bring joy, which we sometimes, take for granted. Funny thing about those "rainy nights," they do give way to a brighter and sunnier day. I'm all about keeping the faith as difficult a task as that can be.

TL2 :TLOVE